SOMETHING IS SQUEEZING MY SKULL: Full Lyrics

The song is relevant far beyond any personal experience Morrissey has had of depression. The condition in modern life has already reached epidemic proportions and is all the time claiming more victims. Here is what the World Health Organisation has to say about the situation:

- Depression is the leading cause of disability as measured by YLDs and the 4th leading contributor to the global burden of disease (DALYs = Disbility Adjusted Life Years) in 2000. By the year 2020, depression is projected to reach 2nd place of the ranking of DALYs calcuated for all ages, both sexes. Today, depression is already the 2nd cause of DALYs in the age category 15-44 years for both sexes combined.
Depression occurs in persons of all genders, ages, and backgrounds.
Facts
• Depression is common, affecting about 121 million people worldwide.
• Depression is among the leading causes of disability worldwide.
• Depression can be reliably diagnosed and treated in primary care.
• Fewer than 25 % of those affected have access to effective treatments. -

From http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/definition/en/index.html

There is the sign of a healthy fighting spirit left in someone who can voice the new lyric; a claim despite the odds pressing in, for the sufficiency of selfdom. Morrissey is as always intelligently tackling subjects in the face of which others wilt.

Those are some depressing statistics.

Also, depression is the only illness whose sufferers are told to "tough it out" or "cheer up". You won't hear those with cancer being told they can get better simply by focusing on the positives and lifting their chins.

Exactly. "What have you got to be depressed about, think of all the starving people." Oh, right, yeah, all better now. "Snap out of it!" Cheers, mate, any suggestions as to how? Tell you what, maybe chucking some drugs at it'll help. There again, maybe it won't...

I was reading a thing at the weekend that said there is no definitive evidence that depression is to do with a lack of serotonin, but the drug manufacturers have pushed this idea so successfully that it's just presumed to be the case. I don't know whether that's true or not (it was in The Guardian, so I'd trust it more than most) but what I do find extremely interesting is that doctors are allowed to give out drugs (I'm mainly thinking of sertraline and venlafaxine here) which, if you've been on them for more than a six-month period, make you physically and mentally incapacitated for over a week. If you Google these drugs (which was about the only thing I was capable of doing before Xmas when I was withdrawing) the amount of people suffering brain zaps and brain fogs even six months on is frankly terrifying. And do they cure the depression? Do they shite.

Um... sorry. Rant over.

Exactly. "What have you got to be depressed about, think of all the starving people." Oh, right, yeah, all better now. "Snap out of it!" Cheers, mate, any suggestions as to how? Tell you what, maybe chucking some drugs at it'll help. There again, maybe it won't...

I was reading a thing at the weekend that said there is no definitive evidence that depression is to do with a lack of serotonin, but the drug manufacturers have pushed this idea so successfully that it's just presumed to be the case. I don't know whether that's true or not (it was in The Guardian, so I'd trust it more than most) but what I do find extremely interesting is that doctors are allowed to give out drugs (I'm mainly thinking of sertraline and venlafaxine here) which, if you've been on them for more than a six-month period, make you physically and mentally incapacitated for over a week. If you Google these drugs (which was about the only thing I was capable of doing before Xmas when I was withdrawing) the amount of people suffering brain zaps and brain fogs even six months on is frankly terrifying. And do they cure the depression? Do they shite.

Um... sorry. Rant over.

thats interesting. ive had a weird relationship with anti depressants. i was on them for a while, and they seemed to help, and i stopped taking them suddenly cuz of insurance issues, and coming off them i felt crazy. like i was losing my mind. then that went away and i just felt depressed, as usual. it started getting really bad again, so as soon as my insurance kicked with my current job, i got back on them. they helped for a bit and then not too long ago i started feeling worse. i went through a couple weeks where it got so bad i couldnt get out of bed and i didnt wanna talk to anyone. so i stopped taking them. been off them for 2 or 3 weeks now and i actually feel better. i stopped suddenly like i did last time, but i dont feel those horrible withdrawal symptoms like before. super weird. im really confused :confused:

yep. both times Lexapro

Sometimes it's different depending on how long you're on them... or maybe you were lucky the second time, or unlucky the first... It's hard to say, really. They can help, but I just don't think they're the answer so much as maybe a part of the answer.

Sometimes it's different depending on how long you're on them... or maybe you were lucky the second time, or unlucky the first... It's hard to say, really. They can help, but I just don't think they're the answer so much as maybe a part of the answer.

yeah. who knows. well, im doing an experiment on myself, and seeing how i do w/out them for a while. so far, not too bad.

yeah. who knows. well, im doing an experiment on myself, and seeing how i do w/out them for a while. so far, not too bad.

I'm taking the natural route at the moment: 5-HTP, St John's Wort, vitamin B and Omega 3. It's not bad - I'm no more or less depressed than I was when I was on the prescription medication, which I suppose is something. Good luck - hope the not-too-bad carries on!

Anyway, back to Morrissey, or we might get told off for taking over the thread!

I'm taking the natural route at the moment: 5-HTP, St John's Wort, vitamin B and Omega 3. It's not bad - I'm no more or less depressed than I was when I was on the prescription medication, which I suppose is something. Good luck - hope the not-too-bad carries on!

Anyway, back to Morrissey, or we might get told off for taking over the thread!

haha, oh yeah...right right... so yeah...Morrissey...swell guy that Morrissey!... ;)

good god.

did you really just make that comparison?

Yes, why? I'm not the first person to make it, it's a common complaint. There is a stigma against depression that is highly unusual; most people who have illnesses are taken seriously...

Did it offend you? I didn't intend to. Maybe take diabetes as a better example: a debilitating chronic illness. You can live a long time with untreated diabetes, as with depression, but both will get you in the end. And those with diabetes are taken seriously and treated medically. Not so, always, with depression.

PERFECT!! WONDERFUL!!!! BRILLANT!!!! SUPERB!!!!! 110% +++++++++++++++ perfect like everything he was written!!!

PERFECT!! WONDERFUL!!!! BRILLANT!!!! SUPERB!!!!! 110% +++++++++++++++ perfect like everything he was written!!!

You're taking the piss, surely :rolleyes:

Every time I hear the title of this song I think of

stevemartin250mx8.jpg

They both wear those suits, too.

Back
Top Bottom