that greatest hits cover and songlist is a hoax"isnt it" well "isnt it"?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
a picture of moz about 15 yrs ago and songlist that is anything but his greatest hits- naaaaahh not even moz is becoming so far detached from reality that he expects us to empty our pockets once again for this! or is it real?

I can't believe this STILL needs to be pointed out to some people...

BEST OF - A collection of songs, compiled by the artist or the label or the fans, thought to showcase the artists strongest material. Perhaps including some B-sides or lesser known tracks.

GREATEST HITS - The artists biggest hits compiled onto one record.

While I admit my first response to the tracklisting wasn't positive, as soon as you look at the figures you see that the record is made up of his biggest hits. Hence why You Have Killed Me is on there but Sunny isn't. Sunny is an infinately better song (in my opinion) but this isn't a BEST OF it's a GREATEST HITS.

Artwork...I like it...

Dx

Well, I'm PRAYING it isn't real! She (MOZ) NEEDS 2 make the songlist official SOON! T2U isn't backing up this HORRIBLE song selection so mayb there's hope.

Who cares if it's an old picture? Seriously, WHO CARES?
If it had a picture of Morrissey as a baby, who cares?

That's their decision.

It is so annoying to see people so concerned about people's ages.

I remember seeing Devo live a while ago, took great photos and the concerts were great. It was amazing that most comments were "wow, they aged, huh?". OF COURSE they age, Devo is from 1973. Everybody ages.

This what seems to be the picture of the greatest hits is a great photo regardless of when it was taken.

Art is timeless.

I can't believe this STILL needs to be pointed out to some people...

BEST OF - A collection of songs, compiled by the artist or the label or the fans, thought to showcase the artists strongest material. Perhaps including some B-sides or lesser known tracks.

GREATEST HITS - The artists biggest hits compiled onto one record.

While I admit my first response to the tracklisting wasn't positive, as soon as you look at the figures you see that the record is made up of his biggest hits. Hence why You Have Killed Me is on there but Sunny isn't. Sunny is an infinately better song (in my opinion) but this isn't a BEST OF it's a GREATEST HITS.

Artwork...I like it...

Dx

Well, if it's the biggest hits, why the heck isn't Interesting Drug (went top 10) on it? Why isn't November (no 12)? Why isn't Alma (no 16)?
They all did better than the lowest charting Ringleader singles.

So even if the highest charting singles is the rasion d'etre, it's still a completely flipping ridiculous tracklisting!

Well, if it's the biggest hits, why the heck isn't Interesting Drug (went top 10) on it? Why isn't November (no 12)? Why isn't Alma (no 16)?
They all did better than the lowest charting Ringleader singles.

So even if the highest charting singles is the rasion d'etre, it's still a completely flipping ridiculous tracklisting!

Yes, I would have preferred those 3 too, over Boy Happy, In The Future and Redondo Beach, but then said three have already been on other compilations and they probably cost Decca a lot of money, so they decided to go for his 4 biggest 1988-1997 hits.
rom a record company's point of view this tracklisting makes perfect sense.

Well, I'm PRAYING it isn't real! She (MOZ) NEEDS 2 make the songlist official SOON! T2U isn't backing up this HORRIBLE song selection so mayb there's hope.

You hiss and groan and you constantly moan
But you don't ever go away
That's because
All you need is me

You roll your eyes up to the skies
Mock horrified
But you're still here
All you need is me

There's so much destruction
All over the world
And all you can do is
Complain about me

You bang your head against the wall
And say you're sick of it all
Yet you remain
'Cause all you need is me

And people say this song isn't about fans? Pleaaasee....

You hiss and groan and you constantly moan
But you don't ever go away
That's because
All you need is me

You roll your eyes up to the skies
Mock horrified
But you're still here
All you need is me

There's so much destruction
All over the world
And all you can do is
Complain about me

You bang your head against the wall
And say you're sick of it all
Yet you remain
'Cause all you need is me

And people say this song isn't about fans? Pleaaasee....

"You don't like me but you love me - either way you're wrong
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone"

Class...
I'm with you on that one!

Out of interest why would it be better if Alma Matters, November Spawned A Monster and Interesting Drug were on there instead? I mean, from a musical quality point of view I'm totally with you, they're superior songs - but I assume you own them all? Maybe even own them all on a couple of formats? So how would that be better on a personal level for you than more recent stuff?

There really is no pleasing some people...it's as simple as this: If you don't like the tracklisting and you don't like the artwork then don't buy the bloody record!! No one is forcing anyone to do so. Don't worry about whether people discovering Morrissey through a Greatest Hits are going to be missing out - if they truly discover him they'll seek the other tracks out for themselves, they don't need their hand holding.

Goodness, this is all quite futile isn't it? I'm off...

Class...

Out of interest why would it be better if Alma Matters, November Spawned A Monster and Interesting Drug were on there instead? I mean, from a musical quality point of view I'm totally with you, they're superior songs - but I assume you own them all? Maybe even own them all on a couple of formats? So how would that be better on a personal level for you than more recent stuff?

There really is no pleasing some people...it's as simple as this: If you don't like the tracklisting and you don't like the artwork then don't buy the bloody record!! No one is forcing anyone to do so. Don't worry about whether people discovering Morrissey through a Greatest Hits are going to be missing out - if they truly discover him they'll seek the other tracks out for themselves, they don't need their hand holding.

Agreed. One day story. Nothing more to see here, move along...

Class...

Out of interest why would it be better if Alma Matters, November Spawned A Monster and Interesting Drug were on there instead?

Some peeps are saying the tracklisting represents Morrissey's literally greatest hits (or highest chart position). So I listed Alma, November and Int Drug because they all had better chart positions than some (or most) of the singles on the actual tracklisting.
We all agree this is not the 'Best of' Morrissey. And I'm explaining that it isn't even the 'greatest hits'!

It's someone deluding themselves that recent Morrissey singles are brilliant when they clearly are not! And please let's not dispute that, as it's the results of the poll that we all voted for. And don't say our views are irrelevant as the album's not aimed at us because all the catchy, melodic, commercial, radio-friendly songs (e.g. Everyday, Suedehead, First of) have done really well in our poll...

Some peeps are saying the tracklisting represents Morrissey's literally greatest hits (or highest chart position). So I listed Alma, November and Int Drug because they all had better chart positions than some (or most) of the singles on the actual tracklisting.
We all agree this is not the 'Best of' Morrissey. And I'm explaining that it isn't even the 'greatest hits'!

It's someone deluding themselves that recent Morrissey singles are brilliant when they clearly are not! And please let's not dispute that, as it's the results of the poll that we all voted for. And don't say our views are irrelevant as the album's not aimed at us because all the catchy, melodic, commercial, radio-friendly songs (e.g. Everyday, Suedehead, First of) have done really well in our poll...

Okay, here goes: the recent Morrissey singles charted very well. Add to the fact that Alma, November and Int Drug were ALL on "The Best Of Morrissey" already (which is still on store shelves) I can see why the record company opted for the other older hits. On some level I'm as frustrated as you as I feel like the record company is adding the two unreleased tracks forcing the loyal fan to buy it, while "re-introducing" the post-1990's Morrissey to a new generation of casual fans. Trouble is, I've never met a "casual" Morrissey fan!

Last edited:
Having converted a friend to moz through quarry and ringleader material, I can see how that track listing could attract some new fans or casual listeners. And I really can't see how moz could release a greatest hits compilation that would satisfy everyone.. He's aiming for a different audience with this one and as for the old fans, well, there's a new album on the way with brand new songs.. Surely that should be enough..

Having converted a friend to moz through quarry and ringleader material, I can see how that track listing could attract some new fans or casual listeners. And I really can't see how moz could release a greatest hits compilation that would satisfy everyone.. He's aiming for a different audience with this one and as for the old fans, well, there's a new album on the way with brand new songs.. Surely that should be enough..

Also, I suspect this was part of the deal to bring him to Decca/Polydor: let us release a GH album to make some $, and we'll offer you a recording contract that lets you record with your current lineup and we will adequately promote it. Remember, Morrissey had lots of recording offers but they all had stipulations: drop your current band, use different players, even re-unite with Marr. He refused them all because he wanted a deal on his own terms, perhaps this was the only way to do it.

Also, the GH album does serve as PR for the upcoming new studio album.

I'm not sure why he's using this old photo, but it was also featured on the '07 tour merch. :: shrug :: Whatevs.

If you don't like the GH collection, don't buy it.

--jeniphir

I'm not sure why he's using this old photo, but it was also featured on the '07 tour merch. :: shrug :: Whatevs.

If you don't like the GH collection, don't buy it.

--jeniphir

This is pretty much the exact thing I was thinking. He used that photo on the 07 tour merch and it was called the "Greatest Hits Tour", right?

Also, Hi Jeniphir! I'm having lunch at Chipolte tomorrow. That place will always remind me of: N-type, Moz, Jeniphir, and 34th street between 7th and 8th ave in NYC. Just sayin. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom