The Smiths "Rare" album

Only time I ever saw bootlegs for sale in an actual fixed shop (as opposed to a market etc) was in Affleck's Palace in Manchester... I bought a bootleg of a White Stripes gig I went to:D but it was freaky seeing them on the shelves.

Only time I ever saw bootlegs for sale in an actual fixed shop (as opposed to a market etc) was in Affleck's Palace in Manchester... I bought a bootleg of a White Stripes gig I went to:D but it was freaky seeing them on the shelves.

Back in the day (late 80s for me), bootleg LPs were about as common as the real thing, at least for certain bands. I wish I'd bought more of it when I could, but I was a poor college student. Nowadays, though, finding a bootleg CD seems very rare in shops around here.

Back in the day (late 80s for me), bootleg LPs were about as common as the real thing, at least for certain bands. I wish I'd bought more of it when I could, but I was a poor college student. Nowadays, though, finding a bootleg CD seems very rare in shops around here.

I cannot even think of any independent music stores in these parts. Granted I'm new here, but even back in Portland, OR so many of the mom and pop stores have closed. I miss browsing those shops; however, I do love how you can get on Soulseek and download 100's of Morrissey bootlegs for free.

In the late 80's as teenagers we'd go to Pasadena and Melrose and find bootlegs in record shops. It seemed to me there were more bootlegs than originals. And bootleg cassettes if you can imagine, but we (they, I was there just to watch and look at the posters and tshirts) only bought vinyl.

In the late 80's as teenagers we'd go to Pasadena and Melrose and find bootlegs in record shops. It seemed to me there were more bootlegs than originals. And bootleg cassettes if you can imagine, but we (they, I was there just to watch and look at the posters and tshirts) only bought vinyl.

You know, people still look at me funny when I say I miss my old Vinyl Fetish. :guitar:

I think most fans would have these versions anyway. As one poster already said, you can get I keep mine Hidden, Work is a four letter word (both studio quality), and a live recording of What's the World? as b-sides to the Sweet & Tender hooligan American release, and The Charming Man CDs which had Jeane / Wonderful / and the various version of Charming man as B-sides. Some of these live ones just sound like boots to me.

Also, regarding boots, I think you can get various quality in terms of production. I seem to remember you can buy Factory pressed bootleg CDs? Ie where the CD face is professionally inked etc as opposed to the shody paper sticker over the CD face.

PS Kewpie, it seems you have an enemy.

I think most fans would have these versions anyway. As one poster already said, you can get I keep mine Hidden, Work is a four letter word (both studio quality), and a live recording of What's the World? as b-sides to the Sweet & Tender hooligan American release, and The Charming Man CDs which had Jeane / Wonderful / and the various version of Charming man as B-sides.

Yes, well, downloading or purchasing a single bootleg like this gets you all of them in one fell swoop, instead of spending time and money tracking down used copies (from which Morrissey gets no money).

Also, regarding boots, I think you can get various quality in terms of production. I seem to remember you can buy Factory pressed bootleg CDs? Ie where the CD face is professionally inked etc as opposed to the shody paper sticker over the CD face.

Yes, factory-pressed boots are quite common.

PS Kewpie, it seems you have an enemy.

shockvv6.jpg

Strange, "Rare" is on iTunes, Murray Head cover and all. What the heck is going on? This is definitely not an official release, yet on Amazon there's a catalog number and the copyright says Warners. Could they have been duped?

You know, people still look at me funny when I say I miss my old Vinyl Fetish. :guitar:

That was our first stop. Then Taco Bell. :o

This is weird, it is on amazon.com as 'legal' paid download on mp3 http://www.amazon.com/Rare/dp/B00191RNYK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1213268462&sr=8-2

You know, I wish Warners really would release this LP, I think it would sell decently enough. I know there's no unreleased material but it is all quality stuff (I do have the Sweet and Tender Hooligan and This Charming Man CD singles but not, for example, the rare Panic CD single with 'The Draize Train').

EDIT: Does any fan think that this could be an official download-only release?
That's just not been heralded or promoted??

The existence of, for example 'The Very Best Of The Smiths' seems to indicate that Warners can compile and release previously released Smiths tracks at will.

It would seem to within their legal powers to release such an album, even 'digital only'.

The alternative is that someone has managed to fool amazon, rhapsody AND itunes.

Both are unlikely, but maybe the mystery is ongoing (yes, I am feeling like an idiot now).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, well, downloading or purchasing a single bootleg like this gets you all of them in one fell swoop, instead of spending time and money tracking down used copies (from which Morrissey gets no money).

Yes, factory-pressed boots are quite common.

shockvv6.jpg

Not sure Morrissey gets any money from this either, I may be wrong as there are studio version on it so maybe Faucet have to pay Warner a certain percentage? (which goes to Moz Marr Rourke Joyce). It would be nice to have the tracks on one CD, yes, but I reckon it wouldn't be criminal for users on here to upload the tracks here for you to download. True there are some official releases on this "rare" track, but I wouldn't call this an official release.

Is this available on CD anywhere, bootleg or no? Did I dream about reading a thread with a link to somewhere that was selling it?

Lack of Warners cat number might not be conclusive if it was digital-only... or sublicensed maybe.. I think with the stature of itunes and amazon, this is a main page story in the making in any case.

This is weird, it is on amazon.com as 'legal' paid download on mp3 http://www.amazon.com/Rare/dp/B00191RNYK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1213268462&sr=8-2

You know, I wish Warners really would release this LP, I think it would sell decently enough. I know there's no unreleased material but it is all quality stuff (I do have the Sweet and Tender Hooligan and This Charming Man CD singles but not, for example, the rare Panic CD single with 'The Draize Train').

EDIT: Does any fan think that this could be an official download-only release?
That's just not been heralded or promoted??

The existence of, for example 'The Very Best Of The Smiths' seems to indicate that Warners can compile and release previously released Smiths tracks at will.

It would seem to within their legal powers to release such an album, even 'digital only'.

The alternative is that someone has managed to fool amazon, rhapsody AND itunes.

Both are unlikely, but maybe the mystery is ongoing (yes, I am feeling like an idiot now).

The fact that it shows up on these legitimate sites with the Warners copyright seems to point to an official release, although it's still possible they're being gulled. After all, if I make a bootleg it's easy enough for me to add a copyright line.

But I don't think it's official. First and foremost, the track listing is a little odd. A few of the Peel sessions are hardly "rare", being on "Hatful of Hollow" (which Warners finally released in the US a few years back), and anyway why include those versions instead of the Peel session B-sides from "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", or the Peel versions of "London" and "Half A Person"? What about "Rubber Ring"/"Asleep"? Why not "Hand In Glove" live, which was included on a Warners CD single in 1992?

Also, the album sleeve: no way did Warners dig up the old sleeve for "Stop Me" and recycle it. They've shown they'll use other photos (for the "Best" albums and singles, "Very Best") that are "Smiths-like", so I really can't imagine they'd go back to old Murray Head.

All that said, this could be some new "grey area" in official sales. Maybe a download album like this avoids various legal issues for Warners. Faucet could be a tiny subsidiary (i.e. one guy in a basement in Manhattan) devoted to putting out these kinds of download-only albums. It would seem like an almost cost-free way to generate a little more money, and that would certainly explain the shoddy "picture sleeve".

I guess it might sell well, and it's nice that fans who don't own these versions can buy them. Of course, the flip side to that opportunity is the potentially permanent removal from circulation of the CD and vinyl versions-- that is, actual high-quality recordings as opposed to crappy MP3s-- which would be a shame. If they ever do put this material out in a box set, the problem is solved, but who knows if that'll ever happen.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anybody else notice that while the tracks can be previewed in iTunes (and even added to the cart), you get a "Your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not available" error message when you try to do anything else with it, like click the arrow on the song or album title?

Anybody else notice that while the tracks can be previewed in iTunes (and even added to the cart), you get a "Your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not available" error message when you try to do anything else with it, like click the arrow on the song or album title?

Try downloading a song, it works. I liked the crisper version of "The Draize Train", which was a little better than my vinyl rip.

Back
Top Bottom