Tobias Thoughts...

Jeff196

I really am suprised that Morrissey decided that Tobias was fit to be the co-writer of all of his singles...all 4 are written with Tobias...

How did they connect in the first place?

Also, I just do not think any of the 4 singles, with maybe, just maybe, Youngest was the Most Loved, will be something I play in 2 years.

I am suprised that Moz did not turn to Boz, to become his primary songwriter, given that Alain has personal issues to deal with...why bring in Jesse?

I hope that Jesse is not as prominant on the next album. He plays very well live, but, he does not have the songwriting skills of Alain, or even Boz for that matter. I put him slightly above Nevin as songwriting partners to Moz.

Miss you Alain...

I agree to an extent. I love You have killed me though and have played it endlessly since it's release. I'm not sure why Boz didn't get any tracks on the new album though? Alain has still got to be the number one song writer though. I'm still confused as to what his position in the band is?

I have tried so hard to 'get into' ROTT and it just isn't happening for me. I like some of the tracks, and yes I know you shouldn't force these things :p

I was thinking the exact same thing about Jesse today, Jeff. Interesting that you should mention it.

I really am suprised that Morrissey decided that Tobias was fit to be the co-writer of all of his singles...all 4 are written with Tobias...

How did they connect in the first place?

Also, I just do not think any of the 4 singles, with maybe, just maybe, Youngest was the Most Loved, will be something I play in 2 years.

I am suprised that Moz did not turn to Boz, to become his primary songwriter, given that Alain has personal issues to deal with...why bring in Jesse?

I hope that Jesse is not as prominant on the next album. He plays very well live, but, he does not have the songwriting skills of Alain, or even Boz for that matter. I put him slightly above Nevin as songwriting partners to Moz.

Miss you Alain...

Morrissey didn't not turn to Boz (if you'll excuse the double negative!). It seems that all his musicians are invited to provide compositions and Moz decides which are the best. Boz continues to provide Morrissey with music but he now has to compete with Jesse and Mike along with Alain (who is still on good terms with Morrissey and I expect will continye to write songs for the next album). Christian Dior was a Morrissey/Boorer composition.

I think Jesse's done pretty well. Really love 'In the future' and most of his songs have strong melodies (I'd say better than Quarry-era Boz but not as good as Boz's early stuff like Jack the Ripper, More You Ignore Me etc).

to be blunt (and i do blunt well) YATQ shits all over ROTT. I think the grand style (and production) of ROTT hides it problems.

Here is what I think is going to happen:

Morrissey will decide that ROTT did not meet his expectations...clearly from the leaked letter he thought it was going to be very successful.

I bet he ends his relationship with Jesse. I really believe that Jesse will go down as a one album guy much like Street, Nevin etc. If he is on great terms with Alain, then we have much to be excited about. If not, I bet he brings in a new songwriter...

Morrissey will not risk it with Jesse again. I have a pretty strong feeling about this, lets just say.

Ringleader could have been Morrissey's 'In The Wee Small Hours', had he chosen to take the extra leap and embrace the Italian rock/opera stylings of tracks like 'Dear God, Please Help Me' more fully. As it is, it's a very strong album, but there's no denying it could have been so much more.

Last edited:
I think that Jesse's songwriting will continue to improve over time. My personal favorite's of his from the Ringleader session are "You Have Killed Me", "In The Future When All's Well" and the vastly underrated "I Knew I Was Next".

However, I have strong faith in him after hearing "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me". Brilliant song.

I think that Jesse's songwriting will continue to improve over time. My personal favorite's of his from the Ringleader session are "You Have Killed Me", "In The Future When All's Well" and the vastly underrated "I Knew I Was Next".

However, I have strong faith in him after hearing "If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me". Brilliant song.

I thought "If you don't like me...." was an Alain Whyte composition? : S

He's a fantastic guitarist who has made all the difference to the live shows. Alain is a great writer but he just doesn't have "it" onstage. He's probably too nice. Jesse is much more dynamic.

Well, I just love Alain.

How did Jesse and Morrissey connect? They were introduced through none other than Deano. If I'm not mistaken, Mikey knew him as well.
When Moz was looking for a replacement guitar player in Alain's absence, he asked his bandmates for 'leads'. The rest is, as they say, history...

He is not as good as Alain or Boz. Plain and simple. good tracks, but on ROTT i prefer the Alain tracks and Christian Dior to all the singles save "in the future"

He will get better over time. I think Morrissey needs some more singles from Alain...

He is not as good as Alain or Boz. Plain and simple. good tracks, but on ROTT i prefer the Alain tracks and Christian Dior to all the singles save "in the future"

He will get better over time. I think Morrissey needs some more singles from Alain...

I think Morrissey needs to take a few risks with his singles instead of always releasing the upbeat poppy ones. He needs to release something surprising, and there were plenty of candidates on ROTT. He, or Sanctuary, just played it safe.

Back
Top Bottom