What song are you listening to right now?

I’m in no way remotely a connoisseur of opera or classical music. Like many who did not grow up with it there are many parts I like, but the thought of listening to an entire opera or symphony often fills me with a desperation to get to the nearest emergency exit.

At the moment, however, I’m still obsessed with Callas (to the exclusion of the other great sopranos) even to the degree I’ve been reading about her voraciously.

The thing that has shocked me is just how much criticism she receives. Some think she was never the same after losing a lot of weight, and some never rated her at all. To me though she has the voice of an angel.

In an effort to understand the critics I have been listening to the above aria by a range of great sopranos and to my untutored ear Callas has a warmth and emotion the others cannot even approach. I’m left wondering if I have been reading the opinions of the classical version of people who hate the Beatles.

Under the terms and conditions of the forum I am under no requirement to be interesting.

Apparently, in the fifties, opera-lovers threw vegetables at her.

"No one detests Callas today, and yet she did not sing a single performance at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York at which she was not booed, nor did she have the pleasure of ever once reading truly enthusiastic (or intelligent) press there"
https://www.theguardian.com/music/1997/may/05/maria-callas-far-from-perfect-terrence-mcnally

That’s a great article. Here is Casta Diva, mentioned in the piece as wobbly.

It makes me want to float away on a cloud. If it isn’t perfect what would it be like if it were?

Last edited:

I’m in no way remotely a connoisseur of opera or classical music. Like many who did not grow up with it there are many parts I like, but the thought of listening to an entire opera or symphony often fills me with a desperation to get to the nearest emergency exit.

At the moment, however, I’m still obsessed with Callas (to the exclusion of the other great sopranos) even to the degree I’ve been reading about her voraciously.

The thing that has shocked me is just how much criticism she receives. Some think she was never the same after losing a lot of weight, and some never rated her at all. To me though she has the voice of an angel.

In an effort to understand the critics I have been listening to the above aria by a range of great sopranos and to my untutored ear Callas has a warmth and emotion the others cannot even approach. I’m left wondering if I have been reading the opinions of the classical version of people who hate the Beatles.

Under the terms and conditions of the forum I am under no requirement to be interesting.

Have you given Verdi much of a go? I know he's a composer rather than a singer but overall I think he's got as solid an output as anyone.

I didn't know Chandra. A new addition to my KS playlist.

I thought of going Japanese with Afriampo or something like that... but I'm I am in the mood for Moondog!

One of my favorite Moon Dogs ! such great lyrics that fit the music so well, that's a special record. MOOOOON DOOOG ! :rock:

don't know if you're familiar with this piece by Harold Budd, a nice meditative vibe piece ....

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>:hibiscus:<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

One of my favorite Moon Dogs ! such great lyrics that fit the music so well, that's a special record. MOOOOON DOOOG ! :rock:

don't know if you're familiar with this piece by Harold Budd, a nice meditative vibe piece ....

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>:hibiscus:<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Oh! That was lovely!!!!!

I was in an "ethereal mood" actually, so it perfectly fitted the situation.
I was listening to:

I like Henry Flynt because he has his anti-art philosophy....

flynt.JPEG

... BUT then when he plays music, he often forgets he is meant to be an "anti-artist" and delivers pure art.

Have you given Verdi much of a go? I know he's a composer rather than a singer but overall I think he's got as solid an output as anyone.

Yes, and it’s beautiful. I worry a little (worry is perhaps too strong a word) that because I was raised on short form pop music I don’t have the patience to sit through forty minutes to get to something I know. That said I attended a performance of Swan Lake a couple of years ago and it was mesmerising. They don’t tell you you can hear the dancers land with a thud. I don’t know entirely why I might have thought they didn’t.

I wonder if the time that has to be fully invested in the great classics is eaten into even more these days with our devices and constant bombardment of news and views from all sides.

Perhaps I just have a butterfly mind. I remember years ago going to see the Terracotta Army exhibition at the British Museum, walking through the door to be confronted by one of the soldiers and thinking to myself “Right. I’ve seen that now. Next!”

Similarly my abiding memory of seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre was not its exquisite beauty, or the grace and elegance of the brush strokes - you couldn’t get within fifteen feet of it for Japanese sailors when I was there - but “Isn’t it small?”

The point I am trying to make, however poorly, is that maybe the last couple of generations in the West are, in the words of the song, “busy doing nothing” and maybe some of us haven’t been taught the appreciation of the great arts.

Yes, and it’s beautiful. I worry a little (worry is perhaps too strong a word) that because I was raised on short form pop music I don’t have the patience to sit through forty minutes to get to something I know. That said I attended a performance of Swan Lake a couple of years ago and it was mesmerising. They don’t tell you you can hear the dancers land with a thud. I don’t know entirely why I might have thought they didn’t.

I wonder if the time that has to be fully invested in the great classics is eaten into even more these days with our devices and constant bombardment of news and views from all sides.

Perhaps I just have a butterfly mind. I remember years ago going to see the Terracotta Army exhibition at the British Museum, walking through the door to be confronted by one of the soldiers and thinking to myself “Right. I’ve seen that now. Next!”

Similarly my abiding memory of seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre was not its exquisite beauty, or the grace and elegance of the brush strokes - you couldn’t get within fifteen feet of it for Japanese sailors when I was there - but “Isn’t it small?”

The point I am trying to make, however poorly, is that maybe the last couple of generations in the West are, in the words of the song, “busy doing nothing” and maybe some of us haven’t been taught the appreciation of the great arts.

I had exactly the same reaction to the Mona Lisa to be honest. I just don't get it and it is small isn't it? When I went to the Vatican I was also just think, oh look, there that is! I'm not sure I'm that mad about most 'classics'. Of course they're good but do they do much for me? Probably not. I have been to galleries and thought things were incredible, usually things I haven't seen before.

I think with the Internet you have so much information that you're just over faced. A bit the same with music, where do you start?

With classical music I know what I don't like, vast amounts of stuff like Mozart. I get that it's good but it's also horrible. Things like Verdi and Tchaikovsky aren't horrible though, if I start listening to them I can listen to nothing else for a month.

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom