When you make Morrissey compilations for yourself or for friends...

I don't know anyone in person who likes The Smiths or Morrissey, so never made one. But to me, I find music to be really personal, and when there's family parties & stuff, I can only put The Smiths on if I'm pissed, otherwise it feels weird.

I usually put them together chronologically, so Smiths and Morrissey end up being separated by time. The listener gets to hear the evolution of his work.

I don't. It just doesn't sound right to me. That's really all I can chalk it down to. It sorta grates on my nerves -- mixtapes always did. I prefer giving people whole albums in their entirety, except in the case of compilations where they're already laid out. But there's no official compilation (that I'm aware of) of Morrissey solo and the Smiths. It'd almost make me shiver to hear "This Charming Man" next to "Southpaw." Both are exceptional songs in their own right, but they do not work together to any harmonious end, at least to me.

I don't. It just doesn't sound right to me. That's really all I can chalk it down to. It sorta grates on my nerves -- mixtapes always did. I prefer giving people whole albums in their entirety, except in the case of compilations where they're already laid out. But there's no official compilation (that I'm aware of) of Morrissey solo and the Smiths. It'd almost make me shiver to hear "This Charming Man" next to "Southpaw." Both are exceptional songs in their own right, but they do not work together to any harmonious end, at least to me.

Slip in "You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate.It works,trust me ;)

Pandora mixes them.

Ummmm, OK.

Tell me more about these "family parties."

My sisters have BBQs at their houses, and they have Ipod speakers which they play music out of, but they have really horrible taste in music (R&B, Pop, Rap, etc) so I always use my Ipod, but when no one else in the room likes the same stuff as you do, pretty awkward!

I've mixed the two before and I know what you mean. I think Marr has a very distinctive sound and plays with a delicacy that sets those songs apart. I'm also not saying that The Smiths are better, but it's that particular guitar sound that makes the distinction.

I often lend people one or two Smiths albums and a couple of Morrissey albums and leave them to their own devices. I come to get them back a month or so later, and more often than not, they are hooked to some extent. :)

Hopefully you purchased these albums you so readily dole out, you pirate, you...

Back
Top Bottom