Which Moz album should i buy?

Hey Everyone.
I'm 17 and have only been listening to Morrissey since ROTT came out earlier this summer. I then bought his greatest hits. I am of course hooked on his music. He has quite a few albums out (is it 8?), and i really do not know which one to get first! Can anyone suggest to which album i should purchase first?
Tom

Hi

I'd recommend you to buy albums chronological order.
You'll find out how Morrissey progresses lyrically and musically.
Many people say you'd better buy "Your Arsenal" "Vauxhall and I" and a compilation "Bona Drug", but buying chronological order you can enjoy more.
Alternatively why don't you check your local library?
They might have his albums.:)

I would recommend:

Bona Drag: a good chronicle of his early solo career, alot of music for the money

Vauxhall & I: Is probably his best solo album, you may want to save this.

and for an intro to The Smiths:
Louder Than Bombs - a compilation with alot of music and will hook you on The Smiths

First of all, welcome to the Morrissey World! :) I'd suggest "You Are The Quarry". It's my favourite... But then again why don't you purchase all of his albums at once like I did four years ago? ;) You'll buy them anyway!

Bona Drag, Your Arsenal and You Are The Quarry are the essentials.

DISCOGRAPHY the choices
regular albums:
"viva hate" [1988]
"kill uncle" [1991]
"your arsenal" [1992]
"vauxhall & i" [1994]
"southpaw grammar" [1995]
"maladjusted" [1997]
"you are the quarry" [2004]
"ringleader of the tormentors" [2006]

semi-anthologies:
"bona drag" [1990]
"world of morrissey" [1995]
"my early burglary years" [1998]

anthologies:
"suedehead - the best of morrissey" [1997]
"¡the best of!" [2001]

live albums:
"beethoven was deaf" [1993; live 1992]
"live at earls court" [2005; live 2004]

That reminds me:

Beethoven Was Deaf and Live At Earls Court are also very good :)

Even better is the 'Who Put The M In Manchester?' dvd. Sometimes, when my housemates are all out, I smoke a big spliff, eat some vegan ice cream, put that dvd on and have a high old time! :D Highly recommended.

Thank you very much for your help :) I have heard great things about "you are the quarry". But i have decided to wait until i get that one.
What i have decided to do it get his albums in order of their release. So i have just bought Viva Hate, and kill uncle (for now). ooo im so excited!

Thank you very much for your help :) I have heard great things about "you are the quarry". But i have decided to wait until i get that one.
What i have decided to do it get his albums in order of their release. So i have just bought Viva Hate, and kill uncle (for now). ooo im so excited!

If you've already started with ROTT the youi might aswell begin with "You Are The Quarry", they are in many ways quite similar. Even if it is horribly produced. Remember, DO NOT forget "Kill Uncle" and "Southpaw Grammar", they're not bad, they just requires tons more from it's listener.

Definitely get go "live at earls court", if you are waiting on Quarry. It gives you a nice taste of Quarry, as well as some other favorites, and a few goodies from the Smiths.

Definitely get go "live at earls court", if you are waiting on Quarry. It gives you a nice taste of Quarry, as well as some other favorites, and a few goodies from the Smiths.

It's farily overrated, would recommend some bootlegs for free here on moz-solo-

Would get "Beethoven Was Deaf" above "Live At Earls Court"...Sister I'm a Poet....Jack The Ripper....and a very punchy We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful.....captures the live experience much better....

Live: Beethoven was deaf for the great Sister Im a Poet. National Front Disco is also a Corker on that one.

Studio: Vauxhall and I as a starter I would suggest, and then onto You are the Quarry....

...although you cant really go wrong with any Album as a starter... Well maybe try Kill Uncle much later when forgiveness levels have been pushed up by all the cracking Albums.

Tom has already posted that he's going to listen them in order of their release.
Wise choice.;)

Back
Top Bottom