Why Do Radio Stations Play The Cure But Not Morrissey?

I think the film clip answer might be a good one too, the Cure's filmclips are played often and have formed an instant recognisability with many people. Also - they have sold more records.

I think the film clip answer might be a good one too, the Cure's filmclips are played often and have formed an instant recognisability with many people. Also - they have sold more records.

That's an understatement. Moz hasn't had anything that's come close to "Lovesong," "Close to Me," "Why Can't I Be You," and even "Friday I'm in Love," in terms of airplay & sales, here in the States.

the cure = middle class tossers

love

Grim

Slightly harsh on old fat face (whoopsi)

I think its because the cure are seen in a positive light due to there work in the early 90's which was cute and cuddly and less heavy!

Mind-you if the radios started playing the last two albums everyday i would be surprised, some very dark material

It testifies to the fact that twenty years on, Morrissey's songs still upset and challenge people. His honesty touched raw nerves that have never healed over. That's what's so great about him. When you're genuinely disturbing to those with complacent attitudes about men and women, politics, music, and so on, you never really become domesticated, so to speak. The Cure and (bless them, but I must admit) New Order weren't so disturbing that time would fail to smooth them over; they weren't, it did. Now they are palatable to radio programmers and movie soundtrack compilers looking for cool but unthreatening stuff.

Although, to be honest, The Smiths might fit in the same category as "Just Like Heaven" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" if "How Soon Is Now?" were only three minutes long. But they were poison to radio then, and they're poison to radio now-- and happily so! You can still play a Smiths song on the stereo at most big parties and instantly make a few dozen people look aghast and start squirming in their shoes, and that's a power to treasure. The Cure's poppier material is totally mindless and has no such effect.

Oh yeah, that too.

I know exactly what you mean. a few months ago a friend and I were at this stupid little hick bar in my town (just were too lazy to travel further, we just wanted some beerz), and they had the smiths/moz on the jukebox, but ONLY cuz it was one of those hi-tech jukeboxes that "download" music. anyway, so after a few drinks i went over there and stuck in enough money to play about 10 smiths/moz songs in a row. my friend and I were loving it. and i could swear i felt this "wtf is this shit, wheres the skynyrd?!" vibe from everyone else in the bar. it was great. im pretty sure im the only person in my town who even has a clue who Morrissey is.

I know exactly what you mean. a few months ago a friend and I were at this stupid little hick bar in my town (just were too lazy to travel further, we just wanted some beerz), and they had the smiths/moz on the jukebox, but ONLY cuz it was one of those hi-tech jukeboxes that "download" music. anyway, so after a few drinks i went over there and stuck in enough money to play about 10 smiths/moz songs in a row. my friend and I were loving it. and i could swear i felt this "wtf is this shit, wheres the skynyrd?!" vibe from everyone else in the bar. it was great. im pretty sure im the only person in my town who even has a clue who Morrissey is.

I hate bars that have the same crap in the jukebox...I did the same one time when they had a JAM CD there...played 10 songs in a row...then did the same with The Cure...all non-pop songs...

while i like this story and believe it
in the movie version
there should be a fight
and the skynyrd lovers lose to the Morrissey ones :)

in the movie version
there should be a fight

but me and my friend were completely outnumbered.

but yes, in a perfect world, the Morrissey lovers always win.

in the movie version
there should be a fight

Skynard fans pass out of after listening to Sweet Home Alabama for the nineteenth time

but me and my friend were completely outnumbered.

but yes, in a perfect world, the Morrissey lovers always win.
in the movie
you have
brucelee.jpg

on your side

can I have Jackie instead?? he's so cute
11801852.jpg

Jackie doesn't fight anymore...he just play "I'm Chinese and I am so out of place in this America" sidekick in Blockbuster Movies...

"That's Why People Throw Up"
(Ashley Simpson/Robert Smith)

I've been wasting my time
Trying to fall down at your feet,
Society's avoiding me and
Kicked Me and f***ed me and used me

But that's why people throw up.
They look at me and throw up.

I've been wasting my time
Whoring my life,
Everyone must look at me
and see their messiest dreams

I was wasting my time
Praying for fame,
For the fame that I don't deserve
People who don't know I even exist and

That's why people throw up,
They look at me and throw up.

Let me die before I make you ill.
Me, Me, It's always I

I've been wasting my life
Being so ashamed of myself,
I wish I was already on my death bed:
"And I wish you were with me too"

I was driving my car,
I crashed but said It wasn't mine,
No, there's nothing worse in life than
Being just a washed-up has been

That's why people throw up. x4

How are you- Me, I'm ok.
I know you like Jessica more, anyway..

"That's Why People Throw Up"
(Ashley Simpson/Robert Smith)

Hilarious. And tough...I mean, yowch.

Re: Earlier comments that The Cure sold more records than Morrissey.

True, The Cure sold more records, but they also fit more easily into the novelty-kitsch side of 80s nostalgia which manifests itself on compilation CDs and radio "flashback" playlists. I don't expect many to agree with this opinion but anyway it's my observation that a central part of the popular nostalgia for the 80s is just an excuse to celebrate cute, quirky, lightweight, unthreatening weirdness. Although I would be the first to say there was a big gulf between these artists back in the day, now, in 2007, in the popular imagination, there isn't the slightest difference between Robert Smith, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, and Devo. The decade's disparate range of artists has been melted down into a slagpool of those "funny name, funny haircut" bands, frauds and geniuses alike-- and though it may not be fair, The Cure fit the bill to a T. Morrissey and The Smiths still stubbornly remain apart.

Revenge is sweet.

I do hear the Cure a bit more, but their music is more "fun" sounding- poppy. Although, at the time, they were tolerated no better than the Smiths where I lived. (as in, "you listen to what? eew.")

Surprisingly, I hear a lot of the Cure's newer stuff-anything after Disintegration, which to my mind was the last Cure album. They completely turned me off with this "Mint Car" and "Friday I'm in Love" shit. But then, everything went to hell musically for me once Grunge began. Ruined it all. 'Cept Moz.

I do hear the Cure a bit more, but their music is more "fun" sounding- poppy. Although, at the time, they were tolerated no better than the Smiths where I lived. (as in, "you listen to what? eew.")

Surprisingly, I hear a lot of the Cure's newer stuff-anything after Disintegration, which to my mind was the last Cure album. They completely turned me off with this "Mint Car" and "Friday I'm in Love" shit. But then, everything went to hell musically for me once Grunge began. Ruined it all. 'Cept Moz.

Do give Wish another chance; just skip over "Friday I'm in Love" and "Doing the Unstuck." I didn't like the album til I heard the live versions on Paris. "A Letter to Elise," "Apart," and "End" are among my fave Cure songs. And the whole of Bloodflowers is excellent; better than Disintegration, which I never liked as much as everybody else, despite it being my introduction to the band. I haven't heard their latest, self-titled album.

Do give Wish another chance; just skip over "Friday I'm in Love" and "Doing the Unstuck." I didn't like the album til I heard the live versions on Paris. "A Letter to Elise," "Apart," and "End" are among my fave Cure songs. And the whole of Bloodflowers is excellent; better than Disintegration, which I never liked as much as everybody else, despite it being my introduction to the band. I haven't heard their latest, self-titled album.

From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea is also on Wish, its probably my fav Cure song

Back
Top Bottom