Why does Morrissey support the designer fashion industry?

Iloveopiates

I'm not one who usually gripes about Moz's political musings, (I'm a life long vegetarian myself), but moz has often been seen both on and off the stage wearing expensive designer label garbs, which I find to be a bit strange so I shall explain.

Because I liked some of the shirts and design styles that Moz wears, I thought I would inquire here on the forums about them and then do some general web research. I was rather shocked to learn that some of the shirts that Morrissey has been spotted wearing both on and off the stage are rather ridiculously expensive. For just one of these shirts, (that are often thrown into the audience in recent years),they can sometimes cost as much as a whole entire weekly salary of what a lot of good hardworking class people will earn in an entire week! Sometimes even more! I figured they were probably a little pricey, like most musicians and (especially their stage cloths) they weren't going to be wearing your typical department store getups. But I never expected that they would be as much as they were,crushing any hope I may have had of buying any!

Now, one might argue perhaps, based on Moz's previous interviews he might say something along the lines that he has worked hard and has earned the right to the finer things in life. But I just find it to be a bit of a clash and at odds with some of his political views and for someone as outspoken as he is, that he would support the designer fashion industry; owning what one can only presume to be an enormous sized wardrobe full of designer clothing items.

Although the industry was way worse in previous years, by doing some research you will still find that even today in 2014, a good amount of the fashion industry, be it affordable or designer still practices much like the sweatshops of old. Often times you will come across stories not unlike that of the almost slave labour practices that you hear regarding the making of Apple's iPhones. In case you have been hiding under a rug for the last several years,its been pretty widely known that several Apple plants in China that produce the companies' iPhones have had to invest in what only one would call suicide nets. Working demands and conditions were so intense both mentally and physically that they were driving several employees a week to jump off the building to their deaths,causing the company to install netting around the building perimeter to prevent jumpers from plummeting to their deaths! Supposedly Steve Jobs was still alive when this hit the press and reportedly he had no comment or acted like he didn't know anything about it. So, the fashion industry has been and still is right along companies like Apple when it comes to having sweatshop like conditions!

I'm not sure if they were charged but I remember hearing not so long ago that a few American companies had even been investigated about their labour practices particularly in Asian and a few of their South American plants. The biggest among them being Nike, as well as Gap Inc. who own something like 85% of all America's chain Mall clothing shops. Supposedly investigators were looking into allegations of unsafe working conditions, child labour issues, as well as other general labour law anti sweatshop type practices. I can't remember the exact figure but the average machine operator in Asian countries like Taiwan that put together Nike trainers makes just pennies a day. (*See the link below) *For a shirt made in Bangladesh, (who is now just second behind China in Western fashion exports),that will cost a consumer roughly £7 the average factory worker will earn just .12 cents for each of those £7 shirts or what roughly equates to just under 2% of the manufacturer's wholesale cost! Never mind the low wages but its also reported that workers are often putting in at least 15 or more hours a day, 7 days a week!

Just as there are alternative organic food choices who's ingredients supposedly do not contain any genetically modified ingredients there are alternative choices when it comes to the fashion industry. For the average person these alternative choices are not always the most affordable or practical,but for a celebrity like Morrissey it would seem to me that he would have no trouble finding some of these alternative choices and companies. Some of which might even be glad to offer him some type of free endorsement type deal based on his outspokenness for causes.

And lastly who can forget the quote from around the You are the Quarry period when someone asked Moz the ultimate outspoken vegan about his wearing of leather shoes? Wasn't his response something like, "There are no other fashionable alternatives"? That always cracked me up! I know no ones perfect, but I highly doubt Morrissey has a **secret stash of McDonalds Hamburgers somewhere at his house. So I wonder why,especially coming from such a working class background and one of the most famous cities in the world known for its Dickensian history of sweatshops,that he feels the need to support such an industry lavishing himself with shirts costing around £150-£250 each? Just for one shirt!

I understand the get what you pay for concept and that a more expensive shirt is going to be made better and of better quality therefore lasting much longer. But at what high cost does it become irrelevant. You would think a shirt costing say £45 to £65 isn't going to be that much different in quality than say a way more expensive £100 and up designer label shirt right?

** Just a really funny famous Vegetarian story I was reminded about when referencing Moz hiding McDonalds. I know this post has been long but please read on this is a great story. In America there is a big radio personality/T.V. presenter named Howard Stern who made a name for himself from his on air brutal honesty that some often ignorantly dub as being outrageously obscene. Anyhow, on a recent episode of his show, there was a special two hour intimate interview/ concert performance with singer/songwriter Billy Joel,that featured for the most part just Joel and a piano.
In between playing several songs Stern's questions would mostly pertain to getting inside the musical creative process and things like who some of Billy's influences were musically growing up. When asked about his influences Billy brought up the Beatles followed by how he became friendly in recent years with Paul Mccarmey and what happened when McCartney visited Joel's Long Island New York home. The two became friendly when Paul secretly showed up unannounced to one of Joel's shows which was the last ever music concert that was being held at the same famous Shea stadium the Beatles had first played in 1965. The show was a success and the two would learn they had homes near each other on Long Isalnd. Not long after the show, Billy invited Paul and his not yet new Wife Nancy over to his Long Island home. Knowing that along with Morrissey Paul is the world's biggest Vegetarian and spokesperson for vegetarianism, Billy said feeling uncomfortable he thought it would be a good idea to get rid of all of the meat in his fridge before Paul came over. His plan was to just stash it somewhere and once Paul left he would put it back in his fridge. Well things didn't go as planned. According to Billy, he forgot about it. He was so excited to have just had one of his heroes at his house and probably along with a few drinks he just forgot. Several days later he kept noticing this fowel smell. That's when he realized that he not only forgotten about hiding the meat but he also now couldn't remember where he had hid it! I just thought it was a funny story, especially when heard coming from Billy himself and the fact that he mentioned Morrissey.

* http://www.ecouterre.com/infographic-how-much-does-that-14-t-shirt-really-cost/

This from the mail is rather odd ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...What-shirt-exposes-corrupt-world-fashion.html

Why does he contribute to environmental destruction by flying all the time? Why does he have four homes? He's not the working class boy from the Smiths. He's a middle aged millionaire with homes in four different countries. I think a lot of people have him on a pedestal. I like that he cares about animals. However, if he's not vegan I don't see that he bothers to care very much.

Why does he contribute to environmental destruction by flying all the time? Why does he have four homes? He's not the working class boy from the Smiths. He's a middle aged millionaire with homes in four different countries. I think a lot of people have him on a pedestal. I like that he cares about animals. However, if he's not vegan I don't see that he bothers to care very much.

He lives in hotels except in Switzerland. He's not perfect-because he stands up for animal rights he's supposed to live in a commune like Woody Harrelson?

He lives in hotels except in Switzerland. He's not perfect-because he stands up for animal rights he's supposed to live in a commune like Woody Harrelson?

That was my point in the second post on this page. He's not the idealized image some people have of him. Also, he stands up for not eating meat but that doesn't help the animals. When people stop eating meat they tend to consume much more dairy and eggs.

Sorry. I should have explained my post a little. Male calves born in the dairy industry become veal. They're chained so they can't move so they'll have soft meat and they cry for their mothers. So how is switching from meat to dairy help animals? The mothers end up in the same slaughter house. Sorry if my phrasing sounds preachy or anything. Just trying to write quickly.

I'll explain my egg comment too. Male chicks are put into industrial sized blenders (alive) or suffocated in garbage bags because they are of no use to the egg industry. (they use a different breed of chickens for meat.) This happens on the "humane," "free-range," "organic" farms too. You can always call the place you obtain your eggs and ask what they do with the male chicks if anyone is interested in confirming this. So switching from meat to eggs doesn't lessen animal suffering. I just find it very sad that someone could spend so much time talking about how meat is morally wrong when it just increases consumption of these other products.

We don't even know if he's become vegan. He played a pro-vegan video before the show on the last tour. He was seen eating dairy last year but may have changed.

I think many have a romantic view of what Morrissey was like in the 80s, when he used appear on stage with baggy jeans, gliding around draped in an oversized shirt from Marks & Spencers. That is also the Morrissey I was/am drawn to.
But things change. People change. And there is very little we can do about it.

However, I do remember reading something about how Morrissey apparently (and I emphasise 'apparently' because I have never heard this) berated a member of the royal family for spending ridiculous amounts of money on a dress.

BUT For all we know, Morrissey's shirts could be second hand.
To be honest, none of this should really matter.

Last edited:
I think many have a romantic view of what Morrissey was like in the 80s, when he used appear on stage with baggy jeans, draped in an oversized shirt from Marks & Spencers. That is also the Morrissey I was/am drawn to.
But things change. People change. And there is very little we can do about it.

However, I do remember reading something about how Morrissey apparently (and I emphasise 'apparently' because I have never heard this) berated a member of the royal family for spending ridiculous amounts of money on a dress.

I think he sees a shirt he likes and buys a whole bunch of them in different colours. And he wears nice vintage jeans.

He may wear designer ( why shouldn't he?), but he's not spending as much as that twit kate Middleton. Even if he did, it's his money he worked for. Not tax payers money.

No, I think he really is throwing $800 shirts into the crowd to be torn apart. hehe. sad, but I can't imagine him scouring racks or ebay for second hand clothes. I do think he has changed a lot and people keep an old view of him.

He may wear designer ( why shouldn't he?), but he's not spending as much as that twit kate Middleton. Even if he did, it's his money he worked for. Not tax payers money.

That's quite a double standard.

Why does Morrissey breath oxygen?

I wonder what fumes some of his fans are breathing in to write threads like these. That is some sanctimonious bullshit. Everyone supports the fashion industry. We all wear clothes don't we?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom