wonderful Morrissey live reviews

lainey

The concert review are all so sweet and positive, they are a delight to read.
1st up The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/arts/music/19morr.html
A Meticulous Desolation, Tended With Discipline
MONTCLAIR, N.J. — In Morrissey’s concert here on Monday night, the band was the nail in the floor, holding down the music with unchangeable arrangements, and the singer was the balloon attached to the nail, tossing and gesticulating. The design was anachronistic, almost classical: it could have been a concert by any number of singers in pop’s old days who arrived in town and chanced into a good, hard-working pickup band.

But the band was Morrissey’s own, and almost nothing during his show at the Wellmont Theater happened by chance. All five of his musicians dressed in blue work shirts, as if to stress the point that they worked on a schedule: you want this song medium-fast, punk-rock rhythm with a quarter-note feel in the high-hat, heavy guitars with no solos? We’ll have it done yesterday, boss.

Meanwhile Morrissey lolled in the continuous anguished, self-involved present, singing about how nobody loves him, but he supposes it doesn’t matter anyway because most people are fickle and boring. He can act out both “I’m too young for this” and “I’m too old for this” and demonstrate that they’re basically the same thought. At the end of “How Soon Is Now” he lay on the stage in a fetal position: his one extravagant physical gesture in an exactly 90-minute set. And introducing “Something Is Squeezing My Skull,” the muscley, two-and-a-half-minute whine that will be his next single in England, he seemed almost fatalistic. “I know,” he intoned, “some of you may be thinking, ‘Why bother?’ ”

Morrissey has studied anguished self-involvement. Whether he truly lives it doesn’t matter, because he knows its name and phone number. But at this point — he turns 50 in May and left his native England long ago — he looks like a man with an enviably ordered life. He’s well-preserved and well-exercised. He oversees a thriving practice: the songs on his ninth solo album, “Years of Refusal,” often seem like amped-up second-generation copies of older Morrissey songs, which in turn look and sound like the good songs by his beloved 1980s band, the Smiths. The lyrics are always and unmistakably Morrissey’s, with their gyres of loathing and need; the music is written by close-at-hand collaborators. (One of his principal songwriters, Boz Boorer, plays guitar in his touring group.)

There’s some distance here between artist and artifice. Whether it’s ironic or self-protective or just good business is difficult to tell, and that was part of what made Monday’s show, which was in many ways rote, also very good.

On Monday, through his lyrics, he played his character, who lives by extreme emotions, and the band played the stabilizing force behind him. But you could also see it the other way around: Morrissey was the stolid deedholder in the dangerous winds of a snarling rock band and a limited but insanely devoted audience. For the most part he sang with efficacy and accuracy, saving his falsetto for a couple of well-timed moments. One was the last note of the last song of the set, and the title made its own point: “I’m O.K. by Myself.”

Morrissey’s physical language was mostly refined and small and practical: a raised hand for emphasis, some delicate cross-stepping five feet to the right or left. Twice he took off his well-fitting dress shirts, and both times he threw the shirt to the audience: an impressive expense for Montclair, on the 11th night of a 78-show tour. He was telling us that he sympathizes with anyone flighty enough to worship a pop star. He was also telling us, perhaps, that he has calculated his own worth.

The next one is
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09078/956679-42.stm

After long absence, Morrissey charms Pittsburgh crowd
Thursday, March 19, 2009
By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
As it turns out, it was nothing personal.

Morrissey seemed positively charmed to be on a stage in Pittsburgh after 23 years, to the point where he even gave us the shirt off his back.

There were no apologies for the two previous no-shows or belaboring of the point Tuesday night at the sold-out Carnegie Music Hall. Morrissey took the stage, saying, "After a hundred years ... hello" and launched right into "This Charming Man," one of just a few favorites in the set list from his beloved Smiths.

Morrissey was ailing in recent weeks, forced to cancel six dates, but, as the song goes, he's not still ill. One of great crooners of the post-punk era, he was in beautiful voice, whether it was caressing the woeful ballads, raving through driving rockers like the new "Something is Squeezing My Skull" or reaching for the operatic falsettos on the climactic "First of the Gang to Die."

His energy level lagged only a few times in a room that approached the temperature of one of Carnegie's mills. The band, led by guitarist Boz Boorer, added a good deal to that heat, and was worthy of a few more opportunities to truly let loose.

It wasn't the set list the average Morrissey would have written. We did get the pulsing melodrama of "How Soon is Now?" and a delicate "Death of a Disco Dancer" ("love, peace and harmony ... very nice, but maybe in the next world") from the Smiths catalog, along with the playful "Ask." Solo favorites such as "Everyday is Like Sunday," "Suedehead" and "The Last of the International Playboys" were shelved in favor of some lesser lights like "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself" and "That's How People Grow Up."

"Irish Blood, English Heart" was timely and heartfelt on a St. Patrick's Day. One deep cut, "Seasick, Yet Still Docked," turned out to be a highlight, a swaying ballad that mimicked its title, with Morrissey crooning, "Wish I had the charm to attract the one I love/But you see, I've got no charm."

It's the kind of line he loves to sing, even though it's far from the truth. Even covered in sweat, The Moz has a natural elegance, a romantic streak from a bygone era, as he pours out lovelorn songs like "I'm OK By Myself."

"I know it looks very easy ... it is," he quipped at one point.

But we know that's not true. Morrissey writes songs that are challenging to sing, songs that many pop singers would have no clue how to handle, and he didn't shy away from them.

Of course, he was received ecstatically by the crowd, some of whom charged the stage to grab him, occasionally quite roughly. One had the nerve to pull his hair -- who pulls Morrissey's hair?

Although some fans were calling for it, he didn't do "On the Streets I Ran," which references Pittsburgh in unflattering fashion, but during "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris," he did change a lyric to "There is no one in Pittsburgh I'm afraid of..."

Now that we have that all cleared up and we're friends again, perhaps he can return sooner than 23 years -- and treat fans to some of other songs they were dying to hear.

Of course, he was received ecstatically by the crowd, some of whom charged the stage to grab him, occasionally quite roughly. One had the nerve to pull his hair -- who pulls Morrissey's hair?.
haha really? i wonder if that was captured...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/s_616633.html

Morrissey triumphant in return
"After 100 years, finally, hello."

That's all Morrissey needed to say Tuesday night at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland to make up for cancelling his last two scheduled shows in Pittsburgh.

That's all he needed to do to spur the sold-out crowd into a frenzy worthy of the Jonas Brothers, an audience who likely would have been satisfied just seeing the enigmatic performer in the flesh.

But then he went and put on a show that was everything a fan could desire, that sated the desire that had built up since Morrissey's last Pittsburgh appearance 23 years ago, with the Smiths, at the Fulton Theater.

Anyone who attended Tuesday's show will undoubtedly say it was worth the wait, 23 years of frustration instantly dissipating by way of that unexpected greeting.

Morrissey started with the Smiths' gem, "This Charming Man," and it wasn't an idle boast. Through 21 songs Morrissey was the epitome of charm, glad-handing fans lucky enough to be in the front row, shrugging off the few earnest stage crashers as if they were heavy winter's coats. He was also in fine voice throughout, his tenor only occasionally lapsing into a growl.

And the music? It matched the audience's fevered pitch, Morrissey's crack backing band rising to the occasion for all the variations — the crooning "Let Me Kiss You," the jagged "Best Friend of the Payroll," the jaunty barrel house of "I Keep Mine Hidden."

Best were "Seasick, Yet Still Docked," an ethereal, translucent song that highlighted Morrissey's poetic side, a rousing version of "Something is Squeezing My Skull," and a fine, if rather frenetic, take on the Smiths' "Ask."

One moment, however, was memorably transcendent. Four songs in, the band launched "How Soon Is Now," another Smith's song that ended in a brilliantly noisy coda of white noise that reverberated around the packed hall. The audience's response was so fevered, so intense, that Morrissey, slumped over the mic stand, seemed stunned and genuinely touched.

"Wow," he said, looking to the upper reaches of the overflowing balconies.

Nothing more need be said.
http://www.app.com/article/20090319/ENT/903190410/1031
Morrissey is still boss of pop underground
Brit is still boss of pop underground

Morrissey, the wry British icon of modern rock, tipped his hat to New Jersey by warbling the chorus of Bruce Springsteen's current single as he walked on stage at the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair Monday night.

"I'm workin' on a dream," Morrissey crooned, with just the right combination of mockery and respect.

To hear Springsteen's optimistic line emanate from Morrissey, who tends more toward the Oscar Wilde/Joe Orton school of narrative, was flat-out funny. The brevity of the parody made it that much more effective.

Leave it to Morrissey to start a show in such sly and self-deprecating fashion, before launching into a set that proved, yet again, that he is part punk, part fop and surely the boss, if not the Boss, of the underground.

"Do you actually feel, in any remote way, athletic?" Morrissey asked, before dispatching with The Smiths' signature song, "How Soon Is Now?"

A mere four songs into the evening, and we've already reached hallowed ground. Morrissey didn't milk it either, moving briskly into his post-Smiths repertoire with "Irish Blood, English Heart" and a St. Paddy's Eve salute of "Slainte!"

Material from "Years of Refusal," the album released on Feb. 17, got along well with classics such as "Ask" and "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself."

The new album rocks harder than you'd expect, and Moz exerted himself on "Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed" and "Sorry Doesn't Help," ably backed by his band of slightly younger chaps — Boz Boorer and Jesse Tobias, guitars; Solomon Walker, bass; Matt Walker, drums and gong; and Kristopher Pooley, backing vocals.

Morrissey shared his fans' delight in "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris," the most buoyant track on "Years of Refusal," and enchanted them with rarities such as "Death of a Disco Dancer" and "Seasick, Yet Still Docked."

Most surprisingly, Morrissey reached into the vaults for "I Keep Mine Hidden," the final song recorded by The Smiths. It was the B-side to The Smiths' final single, "Girlfriend in a Coma," in 1987.

A big, burly Mr. Clean of a bodyguard did his best to keep stage-crashers from hugging Morrissey during the encore, but eventually, one wriggled through. A band member folded the set list into a paper airplane and out it flew, into the outstretched arms of a happy fan.

"Thank you, lovers of decent music," Morrissey said, solemnly, as the show glided toward its end. "Very rare."

1st up The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/arts/music/19morr.html
A Meticulous Desolation, Tended With Discipline
MONTCLAIR, N.J. — In Morrissey’s concert here on Monday night, the band was the nail in the floor, holding down the music with unchangeable arrangements, and the singer was the balloon attached to the nail, tossing and gesticulating. The design was anachronistic, almost classical: it could have been a concert by any number of singers in pop’s old days who arrived in town and chanced into a good, hard-working pickup band.

But the band was Morrissey’s own, and almost nothing during his show at the Wellmont Theater happened by chance. All five of his musicians dressed in blue work shirts, as if to stress the point that they worked on a schedule: you want this song medium-fast, punk-rock rhythm with a quarter-note feel in the high-hat, heavy guitars with no solos? We’ll have it done yesterday, boss.

Meanwhile Morrissey lolled in the continuous anguished, self-involved present, singing about how nobody loves him, but he supposes it doesn’t matter anyway because most people are fickle and boring. He can act out both “I’m too young for this” and “I’m too old for this” and demonstrate that they’re basically the same thought. At the end of “How Soon Is Now” he lay on the stage in a fetal position: his one extravagant physical gesture in an exactly 90-minute set. And introducing “Something Is Squeezing My Skull,” the muscley, two-and-a-half-minute whine that will be his next single in England, he seemed almost fatalistic. “I know,” he intoned, “some of you may be thinking, ‘Why bother?’ ”

Morrissey has studied anguished self-involvement. Whether he truly lives it doesn’t matter, because he knows its name and phone number. But at this point — he turns 50 in May and left his native England long ago — he looks like a man with an enviably ordered life. He’s well-preserved and well-exercised. He oversees a thriving practice: the songs on his ninth solo album, “Years of Refusal,” often seem like amped-up second-generation copies of older Morrissey songs, which in turn look and sound like the good songs by his beloved 1980s band, the Smiths. The lyrics are always and unmistakably Morrissey’s, with their gyres of loathing and need; the music is written by close-at-hand collaborators. (One of his principal songwriters, Boz Boorer, plays guitar in his touring group.)

There’s some distance here between artist and artifice. Whether it’s ironic or self-protective or just good business is difficult to tell, and that was part of what made Monday’s show, which was in many ways rote, also very good.

On Monday, through his lyrics, he played his character, who lives by extreme emotions, and the band played the stabilizing force behind him. But you could also see it the other way around: Morrissey was the stolid deedholder in the dangerous winds of a snarling rock band and a limited but insanely devoted audience. For the most part he sang with efficacy and accuracy, saving his falsetto for a couple of well-timed moments. One was the last note of the last song of the set, and the title made its own point: “I’m O.K. by Myself.”

Morrissey’s physical language was mostly refined and small and practical: a raised hand for emphasis, some delicate cross-stepping five feet to the right or left. Twice he took off his well-fitting dress shirts, and both times he threw the shirt to the audience: an impressive expense for Montclair, on the 11th night of a 78-show tour. He was telling us that he sympathizes with anyone flighty enough to worship a pop star. He was also telling us, perhaps, that he has calculated his own worth.

I think this is an awful review. The only positive thing in it is that the show was "rote," but "also very good." Other than that, I read it as very, very snarky. If I didn't know who Morrissey was, I would run a mile.

No one at The New York Times has had anything nice to say about Morrissey lately.

I agree, quite awful. There was something similar in one the British music mags, I forget which, in their review of YOR. As far as I could tell, the reviewer was unhappy about who Morrissey had become (or at least with the artistic persona he projects through his music). He was too aggressive. Too full of himself. Too concerned with lashing out at those against whom he held a grudge. At his age, or so the reviewer felt, we ought to be seeing a gentler, more balanced Morrissey and so he disapproved of the record.

For my part, I think Jimmy Page ought to get a haircut, and that Bono should vote conservative. And I'd like to see Celine Dion drop acid, join a cult and perform naked, is that possible please? Also I think there are far too few references to Schopenhauer in Christina Aguilera's lyrics.

This kind of criticism is just pointless. The artist decides what he wants to be, period. That's what you have to relate to. If you don't like it, fine, that's legitimate as long as you have tried to understand and to relate to it. And for christ's sake, what bout the music? I don't particularly like the Morrissey we encounter in the lyrics to Not your birthday either, but it's a great song nonetheless.

The above review additionally consists to a large part of the kind of cowardly snide remarks that achieve a rare degree of despicability when coupled with the view that the gig was good. The very essence of foul dishonesty. And as such, the perfect antithesis to Morrissey.

cheers

I agree, quite awful. There was something similar in one the British music mags, I forget which, in their review of YOR. As far as I could tell, the reviewer was unhappy about who Morrissey had become (or at least with the artistic persona he projects through his music). He was too aggressive. Too full of himself. Too concerned with lashing out at those against whom he held a grudge. At his age, or so the reviewer felt, we ought to be seeing a gentler, more balanced Morrissey and so he disapproved of the record.

For my part, I think Jimmy Page ought to get a haircut, and that Bono should vote conservative. And I'd like to see Celine Dion drop acid, join a cult and perform naked, is that possible please? Also I think there are far too few references to Schopenhauer in Christina Aguilera's lyrics.

This kind of criticism is just pointless. The artist decides what he wants to be, period. That's what you have to relate to. If you don't like it, fine, that's legitimate as long as you have tried to understand and to relate to it. And for christ's sake, what bout the music? I don't particularly like the Morrissey we encounter in the lyrics to Not your birthday either, but it's a great song nonetheless.

The above review additionally consists to a large part of the kind of cowardly snide remarks that achieve a rare degree of despicability when coupled with the view that the gig was good. The very essence of foul dishonesty. And as such, the perfect antithesis to Morrissey.

cheers

People loathe Morrissey in the most intimate way - it's always been fascinating.

As for "Birthday," Morrissey is the king of the unreliable narrator. His willingness to come off as despicable is what I often find so refreshing - everyone else puts on their best face, he revels in his worst. His refusal to play nice at fifty is perilous, though; people love a handsome young rogue, but a graying middle-aged rogue is a harder sell.

Morrissey is, I think, the embodiment of Schopenhauer's philosophy. Celine Dion's version of warmth makes Morrissey seem positively cuddly.

Although some fans were calling for it, he didn't do "On the Streets I Ran," which references Pittsburgh in unflattering fashion, but during "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris," he did change a lyric to "There is no one in Pittsburgh I'm afraid of..."

maybe he ment Irish Blood.

I didn't like the New York Times' review all that much, but I'll say this: somebody actually went to a Morrissey gig and engaged with what he or she saw in an intelligent way. I disagreed with Ratliff's conclusions, but some of his observations are accurate. If you haven't noticed that Morrissey-- certainly on the last couple of tours-- occupies a fascinatingly ambiguous position somewhere between spontaneity and carefully-managed stagecraft, you're not paying attention. The piece ends with a dig at Morrissey's shirt-toss, and rightly so. That obligatory, on-cue moment should make us all wince.

I'd rather read a thoughtful response to Morrissey's music or his public appearances than the sort of live reviews posted elsewhere in this thread. It's nice to read that Morrissey's voice was in fine form, the band was OK, the songs a nice mix of new and old, etc. etc., but those are generic reviews. So many interesting things are going on at Morrissey shows. Better to read someone's attempt to make sense of them, even if he gets it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom