Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love 99% of Morrissey's work, and despite his flaws I greatly value him as a person. His animal rights efforts alone raise him nearly to the level of sainthood. That said I want him to shut up and retire with dignity and grace before he completely destroys his already tattered reputation.

I understand that many people here love and worship him, but uncritical love is more likely to hurt him rather than help him at this point. You are not just his fans, you are his enablers. We've seen fans destroy their idols before. Not all his critics are out to get him. Protect the legacy!
“you are his enablers.”

🙄

This is an interesting stat. I hardly think it's particularly calculated seeing as obituaries are Morrissey's thing, plus he has spoken highly of Sinead over the years.

Most importantly, this is deeply sad.
Deeply sad. 56 is far too young.

I wasn’t specifically discussing any poets, and I didn’t list any poets :crazy:

Try to find a brain please, before hitting the keys on your keyboard and just hoping for the best
Yes, I know. That was somebody else, a few pages ago. Morrissey fans are the same everywhere, though. It's nearly impossible to distinguish between them, and too tedious to even try.

Anyway, you seem really cross about this important issue.

Mozzer has Sinead's back through-and-through.

Someday sooner than later, Vini Reilly will shuffle off this mortal coil. I suspect many people will praise him in a somewhat similar vein as Sinead -- not as many as Sinead, but a decent who's-who will lament his passing. And when that day comes, will a certain Irish Mancunian whom we know and love ask the public where were they when Duritti Column needed them?
This would be the same "Irish" Mancunian who paid Vini Reilly just £800 for his work on Viva Hate and then refused to work with him again because he had the temerity to ask for more; the same "Irish" Mancunian who, as far as we know, hasn't been in the least bit supportive of Vini Reilly since Reilly's health started to decline; the same "Irish" Mancunian who did f_ck all for Sinéad O'Connor while she was alive. Such is the hypocrisy of Morrissey, though, that it's probable that he really will criticise other people for not "being there" for Reilly while he was alive, just as he's doing with O'Connor.

Artists in the fine arts, artists in the performance arts - which obviously includes musicians and singers, can and should all be judged on their abilities and on their contributions. That can be their contributions to a particular artistic canon, contributions to the cultural fabric around them, contribution to the artistic reflection of cultural sentiments quashed or repressed in a certain period, region, or even religion, etc, these are just some of the most obvious examples. It can also be contributions to the widening and to the broadening of the public’s recognition of the artistic stage that awaits other artists, or any innumerable other criteria.

There are any number of ways in which artistic endeavors and artistic outputs can be measured, and like every other type of contributions in life (of art, of a craft that it takes talent and years to hone, or even of non-art related work endeavors) people form opinions as to whether a particular piece of work, art, or artist has worth, and/or how much: indeed, even on a comparative basis. Because without comparison, nothing would have any value by definition. Not even currency.

So status of the opinions on a particular piece of fine art, performance art, musical composition, or on any number of artists who use their own voices as an instrument, actors, writers, poets, playwrights, novelists, ballet dancers, comedians, modern dancers, and innumerable others exist all on a continuum, and can and should be elevated or de-elevated according to the artistic (not monetary) value of their contributions or creations.

Your post is completely imbecilic, and infers that a K-pop ensemble, or an S Club 7 type act, or any manufactured ensemble that gets concocted out of a random group of no-talent strangers who are just thrown on a stage together to execute a song or a dance that other people created…. According to you, such completely commercialized and manufactured entities would all have the same merit (presumably none??) as a Leonard Cohen or as a Morrissey or a Serge Gainsbourg or Charles Aznavour or a Maria Callas or as any number of pick-your-favorite-artists in the musical arena who write poetry and who know how to set their words to the right songs, or who play instruments that it takes decades to perfect to the extent that they can stand out from the crowd and from their own competition or who read music, or who are multi-talented and can do some form of a combination of all of the above - these are all just non-entities to you? Because, why? Because we have some additional modern genres for the arts now? What about opera singers? Opera singers are in fact the opposite of everything I just described. They don’t even write the operas they’re singing, shock, horror!

Modern life comes with an entire slew of additional modern troubles and challenges to contend with. Humanity to me seems to be reverting to medieval times, instead moving forward toward collective enlightenment, intelligence, and peace.

Many artists fight and flail against various challenges their entire lives. The fact that some brilliant artists are never given the appreciation they deserve in their lifetimes is nothing new, this is a story as old as time. But the fact that you are apparently so dismissive of the creation of poetry and of music really begs the question, then why are you trying to pass any judgment whatsoever, on something that is clearly so far outside of your grasp?

Van Gogh couldn’t sell his paintings in his lifetime to save his life, but we can only assume he must have been trying to sell to some kind of dimwits like you.

Honestly I’ve never read something so sweepingly idiotic as your post.
And my life is too short to have even spent these last few minutes responding to someone who possesses such a complete VOID in their brain, in place of any cultural awareness.

f***ing DIRE.

Very well said.

Not to go too off topic here, but BLM was a scam that started with Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin. There were a lot of lies told the public in both cases and lot of information withheld in both cases, meant to inflame the public. They were both cases of self defense, people may not agree with our self defense laws here but that is another conversation. Black men were not being randomly murdered, the police were put on trial, the Justice Dept. investigated, but in a few small instances I think it was found that the police did act inappropriately and I agree that is a few too many. I don't know if people understand the violence problem we have with black people here, the FBI stats show some of it. I am leaving the George Floyd case out of this because they were saying at first it was a drug overdose and it's just too controversial to discuss here.
I agree with every word of that, Redacted. And, not living in the USA, I'm not so reluctant to comment on George Floyd. The uncomfortable truth, but truth none the less, is that there is absolutely no evidence that his skin colour was a factor in his death. Drugs were a factor, but his skin colour wasn't. That is just a fact. Absolutely no evidence was presented at the trial suggesting racial motivation, and no charges of racially motivated crime were ever filed. And as we saw with the death of Tyre Nichols, the issue is police excessive use of force, not racism. That's not to say that there may not be some racist police officers, of course there are, but it wasn't a factor in the death of George Floyd, and it clearly wasn't a factor in the death of Tyre Nichols.
To bring all this back to Sinéad O'Connor, it is interesting that during the rehearsal for the infamous Saturday Night Live performance, she apparently tore up the picture of a young street kid who had been killed by police in Brazil. Poor black people die at the hands of the police almost on a daily basis in Brazil - but they die often at the hands of black police officers. This story is repeated across the developing world. The issue is abuse of power and how society treats the poor and the dispossessed - not skin colour. Critical Race Theory is a poison that is seeping through every debate in current politics and every public institution - and it is in danger of ripping the USA apart. The USA should be proud of its constitution and its founding fathers, not ashamed. George Washington, for example, freed all his slaves in his will, and made financial provision for them to ensure they lived a good life after his death (and after the gaining of their freedom, which for many freed slaves meant a life of absolute poverty and hardship). Those weren't the actions of some inveterate racist. The plain truth, of course, is that slavery has nothing to do with skin colour. Throughout the history of the world, black people have enslaved black people, and white people have enslaved white people. That skin colour came in to the equation with the Atlantic Slave Trade is an accident of history. It is an accident of history that has had a huge impact on human history over the past few centuries, particularly in the USA due to the emergence of segregation post-civil war, but an accident of history none the less.

And he treats band members so well...
he was paying band members $1000 a show in the 90s,not bad for a few hours work,current band must be on a few thousand per show,sounds like a decent boss to me.

This would be the same "Irish" Mancunian who paid Vini Reilly just £800 for his work on Viva Hate and then refused to work with him again because he had the temerity to ask for more; the same "Irish" Mancunian who, as far as we know, hasn't been in the least bit supportive of Vini Reilly since Reilly's health started to decline; the same "Irish" Mancunian who did f_ck all for Sinéad O'Connor while she was alive. Such is the hypocrisy of Morrissey, though, that it's probable that he really will criticise other people for not "being there" for Reilly while he was alive, just as he's doing with O'Connor.
£800 was a lot of money back in the 80’s, it’s easy to forget these days

£800 was a lot of money back in the 80’s, it’s easy to forget these days
It would be equivalent to just over £2,000 in today's money (ie, f_ck all, given that Viva Hate went to number one in the album charts and gave Morrissey a gold disc almost immediately).

If this nonsense helps you respect yourself, and what you have (or, more likely, haven't) made of your life, so be it.

NOT ‘pop singer’ NOT ‘entertainer’ NOT mere‘celebrity’

ARTIST ….

1690645843479.jpeg

🖤

The only previous time I've come across Morrissey mentioning Sinead is in his autobiography, page 278, when he's visited a psychiatrist in Dublin (circa 1994, it seems) and writes that Sinead O'Connor had cautioned him to 'Remember, he's only a man'. When I first read this, I inferred that Sinead was a friend of Morrissey's and a fellow patient, but having read the passage more carefully I realise it doesn't say this at all. However, having read Morrissey's impassioned tribute and defence of her, I'm inclined to believe that they were friends and that he may have tried to help her in the past. I don't know much about her. My best friend went to the same grammar school that her second husband attended, but not at the same time, even so I've never given her much thought. She seemed to be brave, interesting and talented, but suffered far too much to cope with.

Can we just end this right now. Mozzballs' statement was not about Sinëad, it was about himself. He used Sinéad's death to talk about himself and how he feels he has been treated. You think the rage in that statement is about Sinéad? No. The End.

"To the rescue nobody ever comes"

Also, I'm surprised Morrissey knows the term 'shitposts.'
Except for Carol, isn't it more accurate to say, 'to the rescue nobody always comes?' People did help Sinéad, as did she them. And isn't it also true sometimes that when people offer help, they may be actually looking for it? Still, a Moz collaboration could have been stunning : )

Spin passionately stood up for Sinéad pretty consistently, as here in January 2022, - https://www.spin.com/2022/01/dear-r...-already/?mc_cid=11738418ab&mc_eid=d933c6562e

She was making a new album in Belfast in past months -
https://www.irishnews.com/arts/musi...ucing_sine_ad_o_connor_s_final_album-3479621/

MSM is still citing Morrissey's statement:

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/morrissey-criticism-sinead-oconnor-tributes-1235681468/

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/morrissey-sinead-oconnor-tributes-death-1235380576/

https://nypost.com/2023/07/27/morrissey-slams-sinead-oconnor-tributes-as-hypocritical/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainme...hes-out-at-moronic-tributes-to-sinead-oconnor (includes nice TV interview with Paul McLoone of Undertones etc about Sinéad)

https://rockcelebrities.net/morrissey-criticizes-the-hypocrisy-surrounding-sinead-oconnors-passing/

https://www.insider.com/morrissey-rips-celebs-sinead-oconnor-tributes-2023-7

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertai...r-as-sterile-slop/7EG3IEQU65HRLBZ5RD4HK2324I/

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/07/morrissey-blasts-hypocritical-sinead-oconnor-tributes/

https://deadline.com/2023/07/morris...connor-while-she-lived-commentary-1235449884/

A 2013 article written by Sinead herself is re-printed today - https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/0...well-adjusted-to-a-profoundly-sick-society-2/

From journalist Sam Smyth: "And it would be a shame to forego an opportunity to republish what I think is her best joke: Sinéad said that her tombstone should only be engraved with her name and mobile phone number… So everyone would “know I am still contactable, though I am elsewhere”'.

Wonder what Sinead thought about Mr Morrissey and his song apparently blaming Muslims for Notre Dame without any evidence at all??
Morrissey hasn't mentioned Muslims. All we can deduce is that he is prepared to express grief about acts of destruction such as occurred in Manchester and Paris, and he is not satisfied with official responses or explanations. In an unusual silence about major incidents, many people are grateful to him for keeping attention on the gaps.

In 2019, before Libya erupted into civil war, creating more refugees, new EC President Ursula Van der Leyen echoed far-right rhetoric in proposing ‘a Vice-President for protecting our European way of life’. In March 2020, von der Leyen gave another far-right impression by thanking Greece for acting as the European Union’s ‘shield’, and pledging support to ensure that as a priority ‘order is maintained‘ at borders. Is she a cockroach too? I don't like her. She's not for common human concerns, that I can see, but I try not to stoop to casual displays of discrimination just because I disagree with someone.

"If you’re a victim of discrimination, then your way to emancipation is not simply by crying out against injustice. Injustice cannot be repaired by recognition alone, but by your capacity to touch the ground of your being. Discrimination, intolerance, and suppression stem from lack of knowledge and lack of understanding. If you’re capable of touching the ground of your being, you can be released from the suffering that has been created in you through discrimination and oppression.

Someone who discriminates against you, because of your race or the color of your skin or your sexual orientation, is ignorant. He doesn’t know his own ground of being. He doesn’t realize that we all share the same ground of being; that is why he can discriminate against you." - https://plumvillage.org/articles/homosexuality-and-discrimination

I knew some would react. People don't like to listen when things are said... I do not attack anyone or judge, I have my opinions and obviously that a psychiatric patient should not bring children into the world. It is a selfish attitude to have a child who comes and suffers. It's the truth, and I mean people with serious mental problems, you just have to reflect and think about the consequences of bringing a child ... And sorry for my English I do what I can if it bothers you I'm not going to write anymore. Ah of course English is the.only language on the planet, of course
and is there any point in ever having children?

Whoever said that Morrissey will have a central post planned for his own departure I think you’re right.
I can see that being how we all find out, him speaking to us from beyond the grave to inform us that he is gone with all his usual wit.

What a way that would be to go.
Moz will be shitposting from beyond the grave, that's for sure. I expect he's already left an absolutely scorching and bitter diatribe against the music industry, the press, Johnny Marr, and everyone who will mourn him in public that he feels slighted him in the past 50 years, to be read out at his funeral and posted on Central in the event of his passing. No one will be spared. Excepted possibly Jesse and Damon.

Back
Top Bottom