Bona Drag reissue 4th Oct, remastered & extra tracks

Re: Bona Drag reissue, remastered, extra tracks

Feel good about this news (so we now know what the meeting at the EMI offices was about). Yes, it's another in a long line of reissues but if the package is done right, which it sounds like it is, I'll bite.

Also feel good about it because I've been hoping for a return to the Viva/Bona sound for Morrissey on his next album. Hopefully the resurrected label is a vehicle for new material (I'm sure he likes the Gainsbourg link).

EMI owns "Hulmerist" yes?
A special ed. with the full Wolverhampton gig on DVD would be nice.

On a Moz-solo tangent -- I know that David here doesn't get the kind of direct access to Morrissey that true-to-you does, but surely he should be sent a standard press release of this type at the same time as everyone else. What is there, an embargo on these things?

- "Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness" (demo)
(Outtake from Viva Hate, previously covered by Sandie Shaw)

i only know the sandie version

the demo with him singing alone without sandie hasnt been leaked yet, no?or it did?)
i wonder how much the sandie cover differs from morrissey`s orginal version.
.(sandie singing background:?)

i have no soundcard on this computer so i cannot tell if he is singing there(if thats the actual demo with him which will be released

Last edited by a moderator:

I had only ever heard the bootleg version with Moz singing by himself, which a user posted on Youtube about 6 months ago:

Had never seen the Sandie Shaw video for the song. I find her hot.

I like the song. Look forward to hearing a crystal clear rendition.

I Had never seen the Sandie Shaw video for the song. I find her hot..
there is a moz cut out in the video for "please.."

she also according to some book- I think -songs to save your life)-she sang"steven you dont eat meat on a tv show
another info given from there:you see morrissey wrote a few lines sth on her dress she wore there(dont remember the wording though-only that he signed not with morrissey but with steven)
i havent found that tv show on youtube yet there is "only" the version from a concert she did in the 80ties

Last edited:

Wot no 'Striptease...'? :eek:
It's the best of the bunch by a mile. Proper Madness. Would've made for a great little single/promo to mark this Bona Redux release.
And such a video....well! ;)
I don't know who's writing this press release but "Bona Drag perfectly captures Morrissey's effortless transition in becoming a solo artist"? It was a cobbled together stop-gap release whilst EMI, and the world, waited with baited breath for...'Kill Uncle' ;) (Which, by the way, I listened to just last week for the first time in a while and still LUV!) 1990 was a mess for Morrissey. Bona Drag, the proper album, recorded in fits and starts, then scrapped, then stick out a compilation of all those funny little singles in time for Christmas. 'Walking backwards into the Nineties' as Nick Kent put it. Bona Drag, if anything, 'perfectly captures' the mesmerising mess that was Moz c.1990. I, personally, love it.
* But I prefer the red blouse

While your analysis of Bona Drag's place in the World of Morrissey at the time is correct, as the past has telescoped over the past two decades Bona Drag has come to distill that era for Moz fans and does represent the best of his early solo period. Songwriting-wise Kill Uncle has some gems but none of the tracks as they were produced, save for There's A Place...comes close to anything on Bona IMHO.

Edit: And I could never understand why the colour of his shirt was changed. To stand out better on record shop shelves? Must've taken a bit of work to change pre-Photoshop.

Wot no 'Striptease...'? :eek:
It's the best of the bunch by a mile. Proper Madness. Would've made for a great little single/promo to mark this Bona Redux release.
And such a video....well! ;)
I don't know who's writing this press release but "Bona Drag perfectly captures Morrissey's effortless transition in becoming a solo artist"? It was a cobbled together stop-gap release whilst EMI, and the world, waited with baited breath for...'Kill Uncle' ;) (Which, by the way, I listened to just last week for the first time in a while and still LUV!) 1990 was a mess for Morrissey. Bona Drag, the proper album, recorded in fits and starts, then scrapped, then stick out a compilation of all those funny little singles in time for Christmas. 'Walking backwards into the Nineties' as Nick Kent put it. Bona Drag, if anything, 'perfectly captures' the mesmerising mess that was Moz c.1990. I, personally, love it.

Edit: And I could never understand why the colour of his shirt was changed. To stand out better on record shop shelves? Must've taken a bit of work to change pre-Photoshop.

prob because james dean wore a jacket in red color once?

Re: Bona Drag reissue 27th Sep, remastered & extra tracks

Nice to at least see some real news. Although my favourite line in that post is There will be more Morrissey news to come in the next month.

I, personally, love it.

Me too... Which is why I'm flabbergasted that Bona Drag is to be increased in length to 20 tracks (with, lets face it, substandard extra tracks) made LOUDER and the red blouse being removed!

I hope those of you purchasing this asinine re-release with poster get the Tench St/ Battersea Power Station photo in all its 6 x 4 glory. I doubt it though.

I can recall the first time that I saw the cover, on a glossy full page ad on the back of one of the music monthlies. My jaw hit the floor it was so stunning. The juxtaposition of the bright red with the sky blue was ace. Black and blue don't go so well I think. But perhaps they can sharpen up the cover, as well as the audio. It always was a tad lo-res, having being taken from a 'November' video still. They need to get ahold of Tim Broads original 35mm camera negative and do a frame enlargement. That would look sublime.
I'm hoping he'll dole out some more of the Juergen Teller Battersea/Wapping shots too, but I aint holding my breath.

I may buy this. The inclusion of unseen photos and unreleased tracks is all very exciting and interesting, but my purchase will depend on the price. Whilst I do want 'Happy Lovers', 'Lifeguard' et al on record, I'm wondering if we really need more albums- compilation and otherwise- with 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' etc :rolleyes:. * Still, can't complain- I'm nevertheless excited for this release and to see what the upcoming news will be.

*Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying this is a money-grabbing thing or anything remotely similar. The idea itself is good, but for purely selfish and money-saving reasons the jury is out for me at the moment.

Last edited:

It's the artwork I'm most excited about I think.

Apart from whatever this other news is...probably will come to nothing.

Well, it's still better than The Drums album isn't it.........

Hm, hope there isn't a tour purely so our recording with Boz (which ends around then) doesnae get cancelled.....

Snivel.
x

I may buy this. The inclusion of unseen photos and unreleased tracks is all very exciting and interesting, but my purchase will depend on the price. Whilst I do want 'Happy Lovers', 'Lifeguard' et al on record, I'm wondering if we really need more albums- compilation and otherwise- with 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday' etc :rolleyes:. * Still, can't complain- I'm nevertheless excited for this release and to see what the upcoming news will be.

*Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying this is a money-grabbing thing or anything remotely similar. The idea itself is good, but for purely selfish and money-saving reasons the jury is out for me at the moment.

It is a money grabbing thing though, the extra tracks are widely available for download and have been for ages! The pictures probably have also been on this site somewhere too! And if nobody hasn't already got Bona Drag on this forum then what are you doing on here? I doubt Morrissey will do a Bona Drag tour, just by the fact he has never done a tour on any other re-issue of an album, especially if it's a comp! He might just add a few tracks into a tour just like he does with The Smiths songs...if he ever does one in the next few years

Edit: I agree with King Leer, if Morrissey is going to release something decent, then he should release the Wolverhampton 88 gig on a dvd release! Now that'll be worth buying!

I'm just pleased that within 24 hours of something Morrissey related happening we can still produce a full four pages of comments, just shows this forums not dead and we're all stilll here....lurking

Oh and viva Bona Drag can't wait, and if you can't bring yourself to be ripped off again:rolleyes: don't buy it..

The compilation has now been remastered and overseen by Morrissey, and is updated

"The compilation has now been remastered and overseen by Morrissey, and is updated..."

"...Directing the artwork for the reissue, Morrissey has ..."

So, how long ago was the remastering done, if he had the EMI meeting only weeks ago? Was the meeting to finalize the project? It couldn't have been to start it.
Who else was involved?
The Rick Astley picture was from 1989...was it something Morrissey came across while getting photos for this project?
So many questions....

We won't and that's why we're ranting because people get ripped off by a few extra songs that can be downloaded for free!

We won't and that's why we're ranting because people get ripped off by a few extra songs that can be downloaded for free!

You can steal a few extra songs by downloading them, you can't download them for free. After twenty years they are being made available legitimately the offers there if you want to buy it, it's there if not walk on by. No ones being ripped off. Unless you buy them from eil obviously.

They were on bootlegs, so they were free...

Tags
bona drag
Back
Top Bottom