Has anyone seen Patti Smith: Dream of Life yet?

Je Suis Julie

allyouneedismorrissey.com
It looks fantastic:

I think it has only been shown at festivals thus far.

I'm just getting into her music. I'm a late bloomer :o

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it! At a film festival awhile ago.

It was really interesting, but there was no real form to it, or at least it doesn't really follow the format of most documentary films, it's really like a freeform jazz version of documentary. The only thing I didnt like about it was that it didt give alot of information on Patti, or her backstory. I dont really know that much about her, so it was confusing..!

I saw it! At a film festival awhile ago.

It was really interesting, but there was no real form to it, or at least it doesn't really follow the format of most documentary films, it's really like a freeform jazz version of documentary. The only thing I didnt like about it was that it didt give alot of information on Patti, or her backstory. I dont really know that much about her, so it was confusing..!

Thanks! If I ever get to see it, I'll be sure to read up on her backstory beforehand. Good tip!

There's also a book related to this film listed on Amazon (for pre-order). It's also entitled "Patti Smith: Dream of Life." Looks like a collection of photos.

I am going to in October, Patti Smith and the director of the film are coming as part of an arts festival - giving a talk about it.

"Patti Smith: Dream of Life" is scheduled for DVD release in the UK and US in about February 2009. It was shown on satellite TV in France and Germany earlier this year and a recording of the broadcast has been torrented in a few places (eg http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4144570/Patti_SMITH-Dream_of_Life_-Satrip-xvid-sgc).

The film is a delight to watch, but if you don't know much about Patti's life-story, the film will tell you little about it. But there is some great concert footage from the past 10 years.

It is still appearing here and there at film festivals and seems to be getting some sort of limited distribution in the States. It has just had a two week run at the Film Forum, 209 West Houston Street, New York (ending today, Tuesday, 19 August 2008).

Apparently "Patti Smith: Dream of Life" has been held over at the Film Forum for a while longer - and Patti Smith will be making a personal appearance at tonight's 7:50 show (Thursday, 21 August 2008). I wish I could be there!

Apparently "Patti Smith: Dream of Life" has been held over at the Film Forum for a while longer - and Patti Smith will be making a personal appearance at tonight's 7:50 show (Thursday, 21 August 2008). I wish I could be there!

Thanks for all the info!
I wish I could be there too.

The Philadelphia Q&A with Patti and the director is on YouTube. Fun to watch, but it makes me seasick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally saw this film last night and it was really good.

I agree with the posts above....it's not a linear documentary, more like an impressionist painting. It follows the title, it's a meditation on life, dreams, art and death, with her music as the soundtrack. It's also a beautiful tribute to all the people she has lost, and there have been so many.

As we were leaving the theatre I heard one man say "I normally don't like these 'artist types' but she's different. I love her because she's genuine, down to earth and she was just born that way." I thought that was nice.

Oh and there was a bonus! Before the film we had a concert by a "School of Rock" band - mostly middle school and high school kids led by a music professor. There were gaggles kids in the pit (this was at the Detroit Film Theatre, which is a beautiful old classic theatre with a stage, etc.) They were rocking out, and because none of them are my own children I can impartially say they were excellent.

They played Patti Smith songs, songs by her late husband Fred Sonic Smith and other artists she has been associated with.

So overall, a great night out! And I'm even more interested in Patti Smith's music now. Thumbs up!!! :D

The DVD of Patti Smith: Dream of Life was released recently in France. It is also scheduled for release in Australia and Germany this month. It will come out in the USA in January 2009, and the UK in February 2009. The only version I've seen so far is the French one, which had no special features or bonus footage.

Back
Top Bottom