California Son: 4
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain: 3

UPDATE 11:25 AM PT:

Added placings:
#1 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
#1 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
#2 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Last edited by a moderator:
Surface, she was responding to Radis Noir's post...who him/herself has only been on here for 'the last few months', as far as we can tell anyway. I don't think Nerak was intending to appear as 'the font of all knowledge' or trying to 'educate' the forum.
Thing is she hasn't a clue how Moz's career has flowed and that is crystal clear to anyone who has been onboard from the start. She is saying things that are simply her opinion but just ain't true.

He still had a large fan base back then and I think he toured the UK 3 times over those years. Tickets those gigs the time were like gold dust if memory serves me right.
Your absolutely CORRECT Surface and Nerak you are absolutely WRONG again, your knowledge of The Smiths and Morrissey's career is veering towards non existent.

Surface, she was responding to Radis Noir's post...who him/herself has only been on here for 'the last few months', as far as we can tell anyway. I don't think Nerak was intending to appear as 'the font of all knowledge' or trying to 'educate' the forum.

I'm just posting about things I'm thinking about !

How long have you followed The Smiths career? How long have you followed Morrissey's career? Were you actually alive when The Smiths or for that matter Moz sang on TOTP, The Tube, Old Grey Whistle Test, The Chart Show, Jonathon Ross Show, Later With Joolz Holland or numerous American mega popular chat shows? Or year upon year when Moz has toured the World and met himself coming back again? Or how about the back catalogue that would boggle the mind of other artists? I could go on but I'll ask one final question Nerak, were you even there? I do not mean to offend but your idea of a cult artist is a Worldwide selling legend where mine would be someone who NEVER appeared on TV, NEVER regularly toured the World, NEVER appeared on the charts and was NEVER in the music and main press as much as Morrissey! Viva Moz!

That's not the standard definition of a cult artist.

smaller than the time he had no record deal for 6 years after two disappointingly received albums?
That’s a genuinely interesting question; my honest instinct is that the enthusiasm now is about the same as it was then.

He still had a large fan base back then and I think he toured the UK 3 times over those years. Tickets those gigs the time were like gold dust if memory serves me right.

& yet no record sales.

He's had a bumpy career, but he keeps going regardless of lamentations that he should be Rod Stewart or Sting.

& yet no record sales.

He's had a bumpy career, but he keeps going regardless of lamentations that he should be Rod Stewart or Sting.
He was playing much smaller venues then, many people went to more than one gig on the tours.

He’s more a Scott Walker than a Bowie, I feel.

That's not the standard definition of a cult artist.
Maybe not but Morrissey's career eclipses any cult artist by a country mile and beyond, if you were there from the start you would know this. You are rewriting history without the knowledge to do so.

That’s a genuinely interesting question; my honest instinct is that the enthusiasm now is about the same as it was then.
I was around and it's true there wasn't much interest in him back then. But he wasn't considered a toxic, far-right racist back then - just a little irrelevant. Indie night clubs, Smiths/Morrissey nights, record shops, radio stations etc. would all still play/sell his stuff.
There is a hatred for him these days, the likes of which has never existed before, and will not go away until he retracts his formal support for far-right extremists.

Before I was 14, all I knew about Morrissey was - he didn't like The Queen, he was in miserable Indie band The Smiths, he was vegetarian, he was gay, & his career had died when he held up a Union Jack & sang a song about The National Front, even though some people said it was ironic.

I played The Smiths albums all the time, but they seemed to exist in their own universe.

He was definitely A Legend. But a very remote one.

Before I was 14, all I knew about Morrissey was - he didn't like The Queen, he was in miserable Indie band The Smiths, he was vegetarian, he was gay, & his career had died when he held up a Union Jack & sang a song about The National Front, even though some people said it was ironic.

I played The Smiths albums all the time, but they seemed to exist in their own universe.

He was definitely A Legend. But a very remote one.
Christ on a bike, you don't know Morrissey at all. I reckon and don't be offended but its based on what you say, you're mid twenties and have seen Moz live between 1 and 5 times and that is pushing it. Your Worldview on Moz is based on a little of what you know, plenty of what you don't know and what you read on here. You really had to be there. I've said my piece over a few threads and you won't admit to much when challenged so this is my final comment.

How many does it sell on Amazon though, these do count toward official charts placings. No idea on sales on the official chart but they are the official charts.
Well you'd think to be No.15 on Amazon it could be say anywhere between 20 to 100. Looking at even the bottom end of the Top 100 Chart it's hard to imagine some of those artists selling much in the last few days.

I was around and it's true there wasn't much interest in him back then. But he wasn't considered a toxic, far-right racist back then - just a little irrelevant. Indie night clubs, Smiths/Morrissey nights, record shops, radio stations etc. would all still play/sell his stuff.
There is a hatred for him these days, the likes of which has never existed before, and will not go away until he retracts his formal support for far-right extremists.
There was hatred in Manchester then, I received some in places like the Cornerhouse.

Christ on a bike, you don't know Morrissey at all. I reckon and don't be offended but its based on what you say, you're mid twenties and have seen Moz live between 1 and 5 times and that is pushing it. Your Worldview on Moz is based on a little of what you know, plenty of what you don't know and what you read on here. You really had to be there. I've said my piece over a few threads and you won't admit to much when challenged so this is my final comment.

Are you the Anon who thinks he's not a cult star? Because if I had to be there, he's probably a cult star.

And if you're the one who thinks he's over because The World Of Indie has turned on him. Meh. I've seen Twitter reduce people to dust. If he's still making records & playing gigs, he'll recover.

But what did you see that you think I'm missing?

Social media is a hatred machine & it makes people feel they have to join the witch hunt or they'll be next.

He's surviving. It'll burn out.

Sorry, ignore previous submission, I made a mistake. Just to point out, I have just looked at the current midweek album chart update. Morrissey is not even in the top 100... perhaps due to HMV being closed??? Not good to plummet from 3 to outside the 100 in a week though...

Well you'd think to be No.15 on Amazon it could be say anywhere between 20 to 100. Looking at even the bottom end of the Top 100 Chart it's hard to imagine some of those artists selling much in the last few days.

Who knows? The Charts are the charts, why not mail them if you think they are wrong?

Are you the Anon who thinks he's not a cult star? Because if I had to be there, he's probably a cult star.

And if you're the one who thinks he's over because The World Of Indie has turned on him. Meh. I've seen Twitter reduce people to dust. If he's still making records & playing gigs, he'll recover.

But what did you see that you think I'm missing?

What are you on about, he's not recovering at all. It's been 2 years since his voiced his thoughts and things are getting steadily worse.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info
Back
Top Bottom