Is Get Off The Stage About Robert Smith

"Get Off The Stage" is about the Rolling Stones:

"There's a song on this album that has the Rolling Stones in mind because I've been so disgusted by their most recent comeback that I no longer find it sad or pitiful, I just feel immense anger that they don't just get out of the way. You open papers in this country, and every day there's the obligatory picture of, y'know, Mick-with-bags-at-the-airport, or Keith saying he's completely normal now. They just won't move away! The song is called 'Get Off The Stage'."

- Morrissey, The Face, March 1990

thanks, I never did read that interview and was also wondering who this very amusing song was about. so I guess we can all rest easy and assume it's about jagger-richards (and I can agree with that, cos these 2 oldies should have gotten off the stage a long time ago...mascara or no mascara....)

Thank you for the information...Cleared things up for me

Q:Are you aware that Morrissey said he'd like to 'pop' you and that The Cure add a new dimension to the word crap?

A:Well, at least we just add a new dimension to it, and haven't tried to build a career out of it....

I always found that funny despite being a bigger Moz fan than I am a Cure fan

of course this song is about the rolling stones , to me the cure`s songs don`t sound the same way,each song has a different style for example if you here lullaby is absolutely different to the love cats, also a lot of people get surprised when you tell them friday i`m in love is by the cure i don`t know why,but that happens a lot.

ALSO.(I'm listening to Get Off The Stage as I'm writing this! :D) Maybe I'm reading too much into this...But the accordian sound, is quite similar to The Caterpillar (Which is an awful song, and I say that as a liker of The Cure)

:eek:

there's 3 songs I like from the Cure

and far out their best is Caterpillar

othes are
Charlotte sometimes
the hanging gardens

[mhh all early work]

get off the Stage is about Mick Jagger, POINT.

but mick jagger doesn't play guitar at ALL, does he? and really, it can't be about robert who is the same age...

Are you kidding me? He has been playing a Fender on tour for years and years!

2646504.jpg

You silly old man
In your misguided trousers
With your mascara and your Fender guitar
And you think you can arouse us ?

Well, he wore insane "Hammer Pants" for a portion of the 80's, wore eye makeup during (and after) his Glam period, and still finds himself to be the sexiest man alive (see pic below).

mick_jagger.jpg

Thanks for the interview quote!

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? He has been playing a Fender on tour for years and years!

2646504.jpg

You silly old man
In your misguided trousers
With your mascara and your Fender guitar
And you think you can arouse us ?

Well, he wore insane "Hammer Pants" for a portion of the 80's, wore eye makeup during (and after) his Glam period, and still finds himself to be the sexiest man alive (see pic below).

mick_jagger.jpg

Thanks for the interview quote!

hey, I didn't even know that mick jagger could play the guitar! but he's definitely NOT the sexiest man alive.....

from an issue of Cure News that i own...

Q:Are you aware that Morrissey said he'd like to 'pop' you and that The Cure add a new dimension to the word crap?

yeah - well - morrissey's taste in music.... not something i would trust....

The lyrics lend more to Robert Smith than The Rolling Stones, in my opinion. Plus, admitting to writing the song about Smith would no doubt instigate mor e "silly quips".
I've also wondered about what Morrissey thought of Siouxsie & The Banshees in the time Smith was with them...

whats his face from the rolling stones wears mascara so there is your answer

if it IS about Robert, can we change it to "Get Out of the Studio" instead? The Cure still rule live, but really need to stop putting records out.

hey, I didn't even know that mick jagger could play the guitar! but he's definitely NOT the sexiest man alive.....

He is even wearing a guitar on the cover of that Goddess In The Doorway album of his. I am sure he ain't too bad...he has been able to learn from one of the best!

Back
Top Bottom