New Era for Morrissey

M

MuteWitness616

The new album artwork is horrible and will fit right along with the rest of the fancy looking mainstream CDs.
I am worried, that Morrissey will attract new fans, who will claim to be fans, but who really lack Morrissey knowledge.It's already a shame seeing, little teens, purchase The Smiths, Sound of The Smiths, because their favorite band, My Chemical Romance covered Jack The Ripper and Death Cab For A Cutie, covered Sweet & Tender Hooligan.

I hope, The Smiths and Morrissey, don't create a cult following among young teenagers. It's already a shame to see millions of teens, with shirts of The Beatles, and yet they don't know who John Lennon is.
The Doors, shirts being sold at Wal-Mart, when the customer, don't even know anything about Jim Morrisson or can't name 5 songs by The Doors.

Maybe, this new album create a new type of Morrissey fans.
Those trendy Myspace kids, with the angle defaults and neon hair extensions.
I seen The Sound of The Smiths, next to Slipknot at Hot Topic the other day.
UGH!

Does, anybody feel like I feel?

The new album artwork is horrible and will fit right along with the rest of the fancy looking mainstream CDs.
I am worried, that Morrissey will attract new fans, who will claim to be fans, but who really lack Morrissey knowledge.It's already a shame seeing, little teens, purchase The Smiths, Sound of The Smiths, because their favorite band, My Chemical Romance covered Jack The Ripper and Death Cab For A Cutie, covered Sweet & Tender Hooligan.

I hope, The Smiths and Morrissey, don't create a cult following among young teenagers. It's already a shame to see millions of teens, with shirts of The Beatles, and yet they don't know who John Lennon is.
The Doors, shirts being sold at Wal-Mart, when the customer, don't even know anything about Jim Morrisson or can't name 5 songs by The Doors.

UGH!

I'm afraid Morrissey has a huge cult following since 1983.

Nah I don't really feel like that. I remember getting heavily into music at 11 and I didn't have a f***ing clue about anything but I still loved it, some bands I thought I liked and then found things that I enjoyed more and the other bands fell by the wayside. After some years I found out the things I really liked and gained 'knowledge' of the artists that I'd fallen for.

To be honest most people couldn't give a shit about the release date and b-sides of their favorite single, it doesn't make them any less of a fan or suggest it means any less to them. The only knowledge you need is to know you actually like the music as opposed to say wearing a t-shirt to impress people, which to be honest is the wearers problem and not mine. They probably aren't very comfortable with themselves and are putting on a front to look 'cool', if that's what they feel they need to do, let them be!

p.s. I really hate the typography of the sleeve aswell, so we can agree on at least that!

Last edited:

UGH!

Who are you to question others' motives? How do you know who is taking the words to heart and who is following the crowd?

I discovered the Smiths in 1988, when I was a teenager. A boy I liked introduced me to the music. I was as enthralled with him as the words. That man lives in my city now, by coincidence. He wasn't in the front row when Morrissey came to town. I was.

Now, when I was a teenager, liking the Smiths (this was before there was a solo Morrissey) did mark you as a bookish loner. I relished being the only one who got even the very simple "Oscillate Wildly" reference. Sounds like you're not happy that that exclusivity is temporarily gone for you? Don't worry about it. If you like the music and the words, you like them for your own reasons. At least, you should. Anyone who is actually moved to think by the words and music will be just fine.

Well, I for one hate My Chemical Romance and Death Cab for Cutie! :p I got into to The Smiths by finding them for myself. A lot of people my age haven't even heard of The Smiths/Morrissey so I doubt a following amongst the teeny boppers will occur. And, as for the Beatles, I know where John Lennon lived in Liverpool, so it's cool :cool: :p

Last edited:
Who are you to question others' motives? How do you know who is taking the words to heart and who is following the crowd?

I discovered the Smiths in 1988, when I was a teenager. A boy I liked introduced me to the music. I was as enthralled with him as the words. That man lives in my city now, by coincidence. He wasn't in the front row when Morrissey came to town. I was.

Now, when I was a teenager, liking the Smiths (this was before there was a solo Morrissey) did mark you as a bookish loner. I relished being the only one who got even the very simple "Oscillate Wildly" reference. Sounds like you're not happy that that exclusivity is temporarily gone for you? Don't worry about it. If you like the music and the words, you like them for your own reasons. At least, you should. Anyone who is actually moved to think by the words and music will be just fine.

Very well said, Pregs.

I think the more people exposed to Moz, the better.

Young brains need enlightenment. It leads to wonderful things.

UGH!

The exact same sentiments were being expressed on this forum in 2004 pre-Quarry.

Plus ca change.....

UGH!

The best thing that could ever happen to Morrissey would be a cult following among young teenagers. It doesn't matter how the newest generation of fans hear about him, it just matters that, somehow, he catches on.

I get the sense that Morrissey is concerned about his status as an icon, and the longevity of his achievements. Artistic immortality is something that an artist cannot plan, it is up to his fan base to do the legwork, and the greatness of the music will take care of the rest. My Chemical Romance and Death Cab for Cutie (c'mon DCFC aren't THAT bad) are doing the right thing, exposing their fans to their inspirations, just like Morrissey did with The New York Dolls and Marc Bolan.

It is also odd that you assume that kids wearing Beatles shirts don't know who John Lennon is. Most of them may be clueless, but a significant portion of them may do their homework, give the music a listen, fall in love and get the message.

Sorry, but as much as we think the man is a genius and as hard as it is to get tickets, he is definitely does not have the volume of those other 'teen' bands you mentioned. However, he does have the loyalty. So while he may temporarily gain an audience for an album, he is essentially an artist who relies heavily on his cult following.

And I do think it is silly to feel this way. No one can take away how you feel about Morrissey and definitely no one can change who he is, no matter what audience he has. I would say that among the other artists/bands I like, he is the least malleable. He will do as he pleases, even if it angers those working around him...or even those who love him!

Teenagers are the people who are going to continue giving him the notoriety he has earned over the years. Who do you think still sits in their bedroom all day listening to Morrissey records? Sorry, but I have to go to work and generally take care of my life, no time for indulging The Smiths or Morrissey for huge chunks of my life. Not as much as before, anyway.

I wasn't alive when The Smiths were about.
I started listening to Morrissey because of Russell Brand.
I illegally downloaded his greatest hits album, then bought the rest of his work.

Does that make me less of a fan? Because I wasn't there at the very start?

As for the cover: does anyone really think that a photo of a middle-aged man holding a baby is going to appeal to mainstream teens?

Morrissey is, and always will be, a 'cult' following. But if that 'cult' can sell out three live dates in under 10 minutes...who can complain?

Re: album cover

So true. The man is 50. He is incredibly blessed to have the devotion of all of us. Even when he puts out album covers as horrid as the one for the new album.

UGH!

I take your point but don't believe it's an issue.

To really understand his work you have to have had lived during the 1980's (mainly for the Smiths) or be knowledgeable enough to have a feel for why he wrote the songs he did. Morrissey (including the Smiths) music is not easily accessible, it takes a bit of work to fully understand and appreciate. That will be too much work for the X Factor generation, however those who do understand it I welcome with open arms.

Secondaly - the fact Morrissey never died of a drugs over dose and always looks as fit as a fiddle will mean that The Smiths will have that Joy Division/Nirvana so called "coolness"

To really understand his work you have to have had lived during the 1980's (mainly for the Smiths) or be knowledgeable enough to have a feel for why he wrote the songs he did. Morrissey (including the Smiths) music is not easily accessible, it takes a bit of work to fully understand and appreciate. That will be too much work for the X Factor generation, however those who do understand it I welcome with open arms.

Secondaly - the fact Morrissey never died of a drugs over dose and always looks as fit as a fiddle will mean that The Smiths will have that Joy Division/Nirvana so called "coolness"

I disagree. Morrissey writes about a lot of things that happened long before the 80s, if you like the way he writes you'll probably be spurred to learn a little more about what he's talking about. And he brings out the universal in those stories, anyway. So, yes, not easily accessible, but not hard either. Two minutes' work on the internet will clue you in. (Did I ever tell you that when I was a kid, there was no internet? If you wanted to learn something you had to go the library and actually open a paper-based book.)

Morrissey never died tragically young, but The Smiths did. Doesn't that count?

I adore the new album cover!

I indeed get very riled when I see kids and especially 'celebrities' in t-shirts with bands or artists on them who they have no idea about. But I really cannot see people wearing a Morrissey or Smiths t-shirt in the same way that the rolling stones, ramones and blondie have become such popular images.

Morrissey I think attracts deep thinkers as fans. Otherwise I feel and truly do feel that one can be a fan of Moz, but not a crazy 'proper' fan if they fail to relate to his work. And empathise or agree with his views on many different topics and his love for certain things.

I myself love Oscar Wilde and Diana Dors (I am a Swindon girl like Diana! hehe) and many of the literature that Morrissey is a fan of............is anyone getting my drift?:D

I feel I don't really care about a new wave of teenage fans or a particular type of other fans. The music is what counts, the rest doesn't matter.

On the other hand I'd love it if I were the only person in the world who liked Morrissey and The Smiths. Selfish.

Last edited:
While it's true that young people living in the UK at the same time as Morrissey was singing his life had a more direct understanding about his feelings, I think it's wrong to assume that fans in the 1980s knew any more about poetry, old films, old queens and old murders than fans would now. If anything, with DVDs and the internet fans now are more in tune with the references although it is "less work" than it would've been then.

I may have nothing else in common with a 15-year old SoCal skater who wears a Smiths/Moz shirt, but the fact that he thinks Morrissey is cool is enough!

I take your point but don't believe it's an issue.

I was nine when the Smiths split up and didnt even know who they were but two years later as i was starting secondary school i was introduced to their music by my brother. I cant do anything about the fact that i was born a few years too late to have been there, but what is important is that i liked their music and that i learned to understand Morrissey's writing. If younger generations dont get into his music then his legacy will die along with the last person who was there when the Smiths were. I am what i suppose you could call a second generation fan and Morrissey deserves a third and fourth generation of fans. I understand that there will always be those who jump on a bandwagon and have no idea why the person they are following is so popular and loved but those people are always waiting for the next bandwagon, those who remain tend to become genuine fans. The truth is with an artist like Morrissey if people dont love him they tend to usually hate him and that seperates the genuine fans from those who couldnt care less. I hope Morrissey is never forgotten and the only way to avoid that is for younger fans to carry the torch.

While it's true that young people living in the UK at the same time as Morrissey was singing his life had a more direct understanding about his feelings, I think it's wrong to assume that fans in the 1980s knew any more about poetry, old films, old queens and old murders than fans would now. If anything, with DVDs and the internet fans now are more in tune with the references although it is "less work" than it would've been then.

I may have nothing else in common with a 15-year old SoCal skater who wears a Smiths/Moz shirt, but the fact that he thinks Morrissey is cool is enough!

If I find out someone likes Morrissey/The Smiths I feel a strange kinship with them.

I'm still a misanthropic mess, but I'll let my guard down a little more around them / you / us.

Tags
morrissey snobs
Back
Top Bottom