New Era for Morrissey

Morrissey has always had a teenage cult following, but don't worry, The Smiths/Moz will NOT become trendy. Ever.

At least the wee MCR peeps are exposing themselves to music that's actually good.

The new album artwork is horrible and will fit right along with the rest of the fancy looking mainstream CDs.
I am worried, that Morrissey will attract new fans, who will claim to be fans, but who really lack Morrissey knowledge.It's already a shame seeing, little teens, purchase The Smiths, Sound of The Smiths, because their favorite band, My Chemical Romance covered Jack The Ripper and Death Cab For A Cutie, covered Sweet & Tender Hooligan.

I hope, The Smiths and Morrissey, don't create a cult following among young teenagers. It's already a shame to see millions of teens, with shirts of The Beatles, and yet they don't know who John Lennon is.
The Doors, shirts being sold at Wal-Mart, when the customer, don't even know anything about Jim Morrisson or can't name 5 songs by The Doors.

Maybe, this new album create a new type of Morrissey fans.
Those trendy Myspace kids, with the angle defaults and neon hair extensions.
I seen The Sound of The Smiths, next to Slipknot at Hot Topic the other day.
UGH!

Does, anybody feel like I feel?

Yeah I kinda feel like that, I aint too jazzed about the album sleeve...trying to like it but...and yes there is a chance it could invite some half brained new fans, I think there are some un-desirable fake Morrissey fans knocking about already, on this very site too!

I hate bands like Chemical Romance, just seems like a bunch of f***ing kids playing at being punks or something...theres no substance to them, No backbone!! Roll em' out cheap and fast....:sick:

I got into Morrissey by myself, It sure as hell wasnt listening to some Moz fake inspired band, It was my brother's record collection that got me into good music, Morrissey etc....

Morrissey, The Smiths and the dreaded “emo”

All too often I hear people refer to Morrissey and The Smiths as “emo”. This is most commonly said as an insult by people who have never even listened to a Morrissey or Smiths song before and don’t even know what “emo” actually is. However, there also seem to be quite a lot of people out there who appreciate Morrissey and The Smiths, and even those who identify themselves as “emo”, who still believe this to be the case. Of course, we all know that, musically, Morrissey/The Smiths and emo sound nothing alike. People obviously draw this connection because of the lyrical content and, in that regard at least, there does seem to be a strong link. Emo artists from as far back as the earliest traces of the genre in the late ‘80s have often cited Morrissey and The Smiths as huge influences, and that trend continues even in today’s pop-orientated mainstream acts.

As somebody who got through some pretty turbulent times with the help of Morrissey, The Smiths, Joy Division, Nirvana et al, I am quite interested in observing the artists of today who speak to today’s lonely and isolated teenagers and young adults. A lot of people on this board foam in the teeth as soon as any of these modern examples are mentioned. However, the way I see it, bands like My Chemical Romance are just doing for today’s younger generation what Joy Division did in the ‘70s, The Smiths did in the ‘80s and what Nirvana did in the ‘90s. My younger brother, for example, is hugely into emo music, and today's bands have done nothing but good for him.

Another interesting point is that through talking to my brother and observing his world, I’ve seen that The Smiths and Morrissey are still a big part of the emo subculture to some extent. You have people like Gerard Way, and the fans who cling onto his every word the way that some of us did Morrissey once upon a time, who cite Moz as a huge influence. Gerard Way and a lot of his fans, simply put, love Morrissey to pieces. But, on the other side of the fence, you have those young emos who think of Morrissey as a foolish old man, that he did something great back in his day, but that it would be embarrassing to be caught listening to him now. This is exactly like what a lot of my friends used to think of The Smiths, who were before my time, when we were into Nirvana.

Obviously, Morrissey and The Smiths aren’t, and never were, “emo” in the true sense of the term. But they do seem to be an integral part of the history of the genre and subculture nonetheless. I wonder then, does that mean that Morrissey and The Smiths are “proto-emo”? That is, the emo before emo even existed, like the New York Dolls were to punk? Or maybe they’re the ones who planted the seeds that would eventually blossom into proto-emo in the way that, say, Yoko Ono’s insane avant-garde music did for proto-punk?

What does everybody else think of the Morrissey/emo connection? Are you happy that Morrissey had such an important role in creating the music that so many young people today cling to, or do you shudder to even think about it? Would any of you label Morrissey as “emo” or “proto-emo” yourselves? And what is the general conscientious of emo around these parts anyway?

Last edited:
Re: Morrissey, The Smiths and the dreaded “emo”

i don't really think there is a connection aside from name checking from some bands. i do like some of the original emo bands, rites of spring and moss icon especially, but don't listen to or really care about the new wave of "emo". i also don't care whether people who like my chemical romance or other bands considered emo these days also like morrissey.

i don't know if there is a similarity between the lyrics of these new bands and morrissey's, but based on what i've heard, musically i can't see any connection.

All right, I can see the resemblance, but was my thread really that similar to this topic that it had to be intergrated to it like that? I can certainly see a basis there, but it's really a whole seperate discussion. If the moderators don't agree with me I won't argue it, but at least consider my point! :(

Yeah I kinda feel like that, I aint too jazzed about the album sleeve...trying to like it but...and yes there is a chance it could invite some half brained new fans

We all were 'new fans' once...

Re: Morrissey, The Smiths and the dreaded “emo”

I wonder then, does that mean that Morrissey and The Smiths are “proto-emo”?

Nononono

The only real connection is the fact that members of the current "emo" bands (aka whiny pop-punk, hardly related to emo, I know times change but seriously here) tend to love Morrissey. I mean, honestly. Emo started in the US in '85 as an offshoot of hardcore, I really doubt there's much Smiths influence there.

Last edited:
no, i don't think it needed to be merged either. no use arguing though...

i think what it comes down to is that, I don't doubt these bands listen to Morrissey, are big fans, and are influenced by him. THEY JUST SUCK AT WRITING SONGS. they arent Morrissey or Marr, and they can only write what they can. they sing about life and broken hearts, and being an outsider, but just not in the same way Morrissey does. does that make sense? i mean, if i I started a band and someone asked me to name an influence, I'm sure I'd say Morrissey or the Smiths, but that doesn't mean my music would be at that level. and it makes sense that teenagers listen to MCR or whatever, cuz they can relate to it cuz it's simpler. not all teenagers can really grasp or appreciate Morrissey's music. it might take them a few years, and that's okay.

Morrissey doesn't deserved to be listened to by idiots.

How I loathe the kids, the little scene idiot kids, with the tight pants, hair extensions, neon color wearing, dinosaur loving, rawr, lolzz, retarded teens.

They listen to all that pig squeeling music
For example, Bring Me The Horizon, and yet they look like little puny babies.
I've take it, some buff, Slayer fan, with a Hot Rod, and a blonde girl at his side ,would be listening to that music, but instead we have little puny American kids, screaming and screeching like a dog being butt-raped.

So yes, people do listen to stuff to be "cool"
SO perhaps, they will listen to Morrissey, so it will look good in the CD collection.
Just imagine , The Best Of Morrissey among the rest of the collection, including Avenge Sevenfold, and As I Lay Dying and Atreyu.

I'm not just saying this, I've seen it.
Just like, I used to be a big fan of Dr.Dre, and then suddenly, his shirt was on sale at Spencers, and all of a sudden, al these 98lb kids, started acting "ghetto" and thinking their gangster ninjas...

WHo knows, maybe Morrissey shirts will be sold at your local, Wal-Mart, right next to Led Zeppelin and ACDC.

I hope not

Maybe he can educate them.

He will not educate them.
Trust me.
And me, being a young 17yr old Morrissey fan, don't want to be just "another Morrissey fan" right next to the kid with the tight jeans and bandana in his back pocket.

It might no affect you, adults.
But it will affect me.

I used to listen to Marilyn Manson and got into him since 1997 and ever since, Eat Me Drink Me, his latest album came out, to everyone, I was just another new fan.

So yes, people do listen to stuff to be "cool"
SO perhaps, they will listen to Morrissey, so it will look good in the CD collection.
Just imagine , The Best Of Morrissey among the rest of the collection, including Avenge Sevenfold, and As I Lay Dying and Atreyu.

I'm not just saying this, I've seen it.

wow. you've seen a morrissey cd alongside those other cds?

how exactly do you know the person who owns those cds doesn't just enjoy all those bands. what proof do you have that they're listening to morrissey to be cool?

To really understand his work you have to have had lived during the 1980's (mainly for the Smiths) or be knowledgeable enough to have a feel for why he wrote the songs he did.

Hoorah! A wise voice in the wilderness.

Perhaps,"really" is the wrong word ,i would say "better".
You had to be there.

He will not educate them.
Trust me.
And me, being a young 17yr old Morrissey fan, don't want to be just "another Morrissey fan" right next to the kid with the tight jeans and bandana in his back pocket.

It might no affect you, adults.
But it will affect me.

I used to listen to Marilyn Manson and got into him since 1997 and ever since, Eat Me Drink Me, his latest album came out, to everyone, I was just another new fan.

it will affect you if you let it. who gives a shit what a person listening to morrissey looks like?

Tags
morrissey snobs
Back
Top Bottom