New Era for Morrissey

The new album artwork is horrible and will fit right along with the rest of the fancy looking mainstream CDs.
I am worried, that Morrissey will attract new fans, who will claim to be fans, but who really lack Morrissey knowledge.It's already a shame seeing, little teens, purchase The Smiths, Sound of The Smiths, because their favorite band, My Chemical Romance covered Jack The Ripper and Death Cab For A Cutie, covered Sweet & Tender Hooligan.

I hope, The Smiths and Morrissey, don't create a cult following among young teenagers. It's already a shame to see millions of teens, with shirts of The Beatles, and yet they don't know who John Lennon is.
The Doors, shirts being sold at Wal-Mart, when the customer, don't even know anything about Jim Morrisson or can't name 5 songs by The Doors.

Maybe, this new album create a new type of Morrissey fans.
Those trendy Myspace kids, with the angle defaults and neon hair extensions.
I seen The Sound of The Smiths, next to Slipknot at Hot Topic the other day.
UGH!

Does, anybody feel like I feel?

i'm with you on the kids bit;)

The new album artwork is horrible and will fit right along with the rest of the fancy looking mainstream CDs.
I am worried, that Morrissey will attract new fans, who will claim to be fans, but who really lack Morrissey knowledge.It's already a shame seeing, little teens, purchase The Smiths, Sound of The Smiths, because their favorite band, My Chemical Romance covered Jack The Ripper and Death Cab For A Cutie, covered Sweet & Tender Hooligan.

I hope, The Smiths and Morrissey, don't create a cult following among young teenagers. It's already a shame to see millions of teens, with shirts of The Beatles, and yet they don't know who John Lennon is.
The Doors, shirts being sold at Wal-Mart, when the customer, don't even know anything about Jim Morrisson or can't name 5 songs by The Doors.

UGH!

i think this is possibly the craziest post ive ever read.

I love it when teenagers get into Morrissey's work. It's wonderful.

The whole point of Morrissey is that he is an artist anyone can get into, if they are openminded enough.

hope Morrissey is never forgotten and the only way to avoid that is for younger fans to carry the torch.
well unlike other singers of the same age he does attract quite a lot young fans which is good and not self evident.there might be some who only wear a smiths shirt because they have seen it on their fave band..but only someone who is really interested in the music will go to the concerts or buy the records...If the audience will contain only of those fans who were there from th start and not a one person under 30 this means he doesnt apply only to those already in...I thinjk if a artist attracts a young fanbase regardless of him being twice as old as them is a good sign for the artist being relevant

Last edited:
I think the way forward for Morrissey is to attract teenagers and younger fans. Possbly, dare I say it, the Morrissey fan of old has probably moved on in some ways and no longer goes to see him play live and now buys the odd album. I'd include myself in that category to some extent.

There is definately a more varied mix of people in the crowd when morrissey plays live now. In the mid nineties it was mainly men in the late thirties, nursing quiffs and receeding hairlines. Nowadays it is more a mix of the older fans and more trendy types. Christ, I sound old typing that! One good example was after the first London Palladium show, which ranks up there with the worst gigs I've ever been to, a bloke I was talking to on the tube was going on about how great it was! I have no problem with that and was happy for him, but I did think at the time he must be one of these new fangled new fans. He obviously hadn't seen Morrissey play live in the full pomp of his prime.

I'm thankful my kid's aren't into Morrissey, it would be wrong, we'd agree on something.

I'd rather see an emo in a Smiths shirt than have to ever listen to a non-Smiths fan tell me how they like How Soon Is Now again. But i wouldn't want topshop to start selling Morrissey tshirts.

I'd rather see an emo in a Smiths shirt than have to ever listen to a non-Smiths fan tell me how they like How Soon Is Now again. But i wouldn't want topshop to start selling Morrissey tshirts.

I'd love to see that. I'd like to see a vintage tee with "Morrissey - hip guy" on it.

I've had more problems with non-fans.
Once I played someone a few Morrissey songs from Vauxhall and I (I think Lifeguard Sleeping and Speedway). The comment was: "Blah, this sounds just like Radiohead and Coldplay." Go explain.

UGH!

i think you're being petty to be honest, everyone likes whatever music they do for different reasons, we were all at one point just getting into morrissey and new nothing about him, regardless of whether someone heard about the smiths from a bad cover version, i think appreciation of morrissey and the smiths should be encouraged to any and every degree, i'd be happy if the smiths were the favourite band of every child in the world!

i think you're being petty to be honest, everyone likes whatever music they do for different reasons, we were all at one point just getting into morrissey and knew nothing about him, regardless of whether someone heard about the smiths from a bad cover version, i think appreciation of morrissey and the smiths should be encouraged to any and every degree, i'd be happy if the smiths were the favourite band of every child in the world!

You have a strong point there.:clap:

UGH!

God this shits me, what do you care if they like Morrissey or not? Who says they can't MCR (who are still shit IMO) and also end up loving Morrissey as well? Morrissey elitists really shit me ... the music is there for everyone to enjoy. When pictures/interviews of stars like Fred Durst and Hilary Duff appear voicing their love for Moz everyone jumps on them because they just HAVE to be doing it for publicity ... have you ever considered that they really like his music? Just because their music is nothing like his doesn't mean they can't love his music ... the music I make with my band is absolutely nothing like Morrissey's but he's still been my favorite artist for the past 20 years.

UGH!

VILE VILE VILE

What if these kids really fall for Morrissey and The Smiths? What if these kids pay out of the backside to travel across countries and continents to see Morrissey? Just because they have yet to age into their third decade yet doesn't mean they cannot love Morrissey as much as, if not more than, you.

Also, trendy kids have been loving SPM/Smiths since Quarry, so your post is five years too late.

Tags
morrissey snobs
Back
Top Bottom