Observation about "Southpaw"

I had never read any of the lyrics for any of the songs off "Southpaw Grammar" until last night when I was browsing through a website that debates the meaning of Morrissey's songs.

Anywho, I found it odd that at the end of the lyrics for "Southpaw" they had the line "help me" repeated three times...

I thought obviously this must be some mistake because for the years I've had that album and the many times I've listened to "Southpaw" I've never once heard Morrissey or anyone else say "help me"...nonetheless, say it three times...

But lo and behold, I turned on the song and at 9:49 you can clearly (or rather unclearly in the distance) hear Morrissey huff out "help me" three times...

Did anyone else NOT know about this or is it just me?

Oh, and, Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:/ i just listened to that... I LOVE that song. But the help me was less decipherable than the most any voice I have ever heard - real or imagined - from within or without. I listened with very good bose headphones at a good volume... I love that song, btw... :D But I can't really seem to hear it at 9:49 and I don't know what you are talking about. :confused: Maybe one too many Ramones shows too close to the speakers? :confused:

:/ i just listened to that... I LOVE that song. But the help me was less decipherable than the most any voice I have ever heard - real or imagined - from within or without. I listened with very good bose headphones at a good volume... I love that song, btw... :D But I can't really seem to hear it at 9:49 and I don't know what you are talking about. :confused: Maybe one too many Ramones shows too close to the speakers? :confused:
Okay, do you notice at the 9:48/9:49 mark that you hear some kind of panting or heavy breathing? Well, THAT is Morrissey saying "help me"...I hear it on my headphones...it's muffled a bit...but you can clearly hear it when you know where to listen...and know what to listen for...It may be, if you have it as an mp3, that the quality of it isn't high enough...especially if it's only a 128kbs mp3 rip.

I think it really makes me like the song much more knowing that is in there...

Wooooooooooo!

yep i heard the panting... but that's all I could make of it! but it sure is nice to know it's there, even if I can't see it so clearly - I did hear what you refer to... fun.

I had never read any of the lyrics for any of the songs off "Southpaw Grammar" until last night when I was browsing through a website that debates the meaning of Morrissey's songs.

Anywho, I found it odd that at the end of the lyrics for "Southpaw" they had the line "help me" repeated three times...

I thought obviously this must be some mistake because for the years I've had that album and the many times I've listened to "Southpaw" I've never once heard Morrissey or anyone else say "help me"...nonetheless, say it three times...

But lo and behold, I turned on the song and at 9:49 you can clearly (or rather unclearly in the distance) hear Morrissey huff out "help me" three times...

Did anyone else NOT know about this or is it just me?

Oh, and, Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

One day I had to use headphones and I was lying in my bed when I heard that. The hairs on my body stood on end and I nearly came. Great post! That is the sort of posts I really come here for. Posts about the actual song lyrics and music cannot be beat.

What was the website that debates the meaning of Morrissey's songs?

One day I had to use headphones and I was lying in my bed when I heard that. The hairs on my body stood on end and I nearly came. Great post! That is the sort of posts I really come here for. Posts about the actual song lyrics and music cannot be beat.

Songmeanings.net has lyric debates but I doubt it's the one mentioned.

Yeah I can definitely hear it, just not all too clearly! I love posts like this, when people draw attention to something you wouldn't notice ordinarily.
Also, yeah, what is the website u were on that gives the song meanings?

Did you just say that out loud?

Nope, sorry - just been blasting this repeatedly at insane volumes on the headphones and I can hear no 'help me' line there. At best there is some breathing, but I can't make out any words. Are people listening to the actual album here, or low quality MP3s?

This reminds me of a couple of weeks ago, when there was a thread here talking about the words "no dad, no dad, no dad..." at the end of "Piccadilly Palare". I said to myself, "What? I've never heard that before..." So I went to the lyrics in the liner notes of "Bona Drag", and there was no mention of a "no dad". Then I listened to the song, and I heard what certainly sounded like faint "no dad"s where, before, I had heard something, I just wasn't sure what it was. Is it really "no dad", or was it something that I wanted to hear? Not sure. Very interesting, though.

Is it really "no dad", or was it something that I wanted to hear? Not sure. Very interesting, though.

Well the 'No Dad' is much more easy to confirm. While it's buried in the mix of the actual studio single recording (I believe it's actually only Suggs backing vocals of 'No Dad' that survive in the released single on the fade) any possible doubts are removed by the leaked 'full length' unreleased version, complete with Morrissey's full 'No Dad - I won't be home tomorrow' coda, and the fact that if you listen to any live recording you'll hear he normally still sings the 'No Dad' bit at the end.

With the best will and headphones in the world I still can't hear 'Help Me' in Southpaw though! :)

i love southpaw too.

this post reminds of the first time i heard him sing "hand in glove - the sun shines out of our behinds" at the end of PRETTY GIRLS MAKE GRAVES.

You know you are an obsessive Morrissey fan when:
Okay, do you notice at the 9:48/9:49 mark that you hear some kind of panting or heavy breathing? Well, THAT is Morrissey saying "help me"...I hear it on my headphones...it's muffled a bit...but you can clearly hear it when you know where to listen...and know what to listen for...It may be, if you have it as an mp3, that the quality of it isn't high enough...especially if it's only a 128kbs mp3 rip.

I think it really makes me like the song much more knowing that is in there...

Wooooooooooo!

I just listened to Southpaw on my mp3-player on the bus home from work and yes... I heard it too.

Nope, sorry - just been blasting this repeatedly at insane volumes on the headphones and I can hear no 'help me' line there. At best there is some breathing, but I can't make out any words. Are people listening to the actual album here, or low quality MP3s?

It's there on the actual recording. Listen on your ipod or whatever just relax and you will hear it. It is quiet but its there.

It was something like that, that happened to me with Southpaw, I had basically ignored Southpaw grammer, well apart from The boy racer I suppose and one day I was just lying listening to it on the headphones and loving the guitar, and there it was, Him whispering "help me help me" totally made me get goose bumps. Amazing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom