Southpaw Grammar Lyrics

Which words do you think are correct?

• Joy

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • Join

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
Honsetly it's JOIN and if you can't see that then you're thick!! (only kidding).

but seriously think about it, 'you're were a boy before you came a man i don't see the JOIN'

that makes total sense; the difficulty of passage from boyhood to manhood is one that moz has alluded to many times 'will nature make a man out of make yet.' and he's often stated that he doesn't see a difference between the both, just as he doesn't see the difference in sexes.

and although i guess 'i don't see the joy' makes SOME sense it doesn't really make total sense.

if you don't understand that the song says 'join' then i think you've missed most of the point of the song (the unwillingness to grow into the responsibilites of adulthood) something Moz has always professed to rail against.

What blows me is that Peter (skinny-or maybe it's someone else) thinks the last lines are "the girl of your dreams is here all ALONG."

Buddy it's alone. The girl of your dreams is here all ALONE, and i think he's talking about Anne Marie McVeigh. Something along the lines that he considered her too popular to ever consider that she would be with him but ultimately here she is all alone because no one will ever understand her like the protagonist (in this case Moz.)

oh shit here we go-shoot me down.

Morrissey is "the girl of your dreams". ;)

Also, how dare you say I don't understand this song? :D

Seriously, it's "joy". Joy rhymes with boy. But he's also talking about how there was some happiness as a boy. You know the lyrics so I feel stupid quoting them, but ...

And you ran with your pals in the sun
You turned around and they were gone

You turned around
You were alone

And you ran back to Ma
Which set the pace for the rest of your days

See? In my interpretation, he's saying that this person has lost something and it has to do with his transition to being an adult. Joy is just an easy rhyme and there might be better ways to state this.

I'll give you some credit. You're the only person that made me consider that it is "join", but "join" hardly makes perfect sense. It's still requires interpretation. To me "joy" makes much better sense. "I don't see the point" might have worked better.

I see it as Morrissey saying "I don't see the joy in becoming an adult".

edit: Doesn't "you ran back to ma" sound like "you ran back to Marr"?

ha ha!

yes i remember when i bought the album for the 1st time i thought of 'ma' and 'marr' and found that funny as well.

Thanks for all of your opinions on this. I listened to it several times last night and still thilk it's join. My partner agreed until about the 5th listen when she changed her mind!

Morrissey does indeed sound very 'nasally' for the entire album which I hadn't noticed before.

To the Poster who said "The girl of your dreams is here all ALONE, and i think he's talking about Anne Marie McVeigh" - who is Anne Marie McVeigh?

Cheers.

I have the Japanese version of the cd, which comes with a lyric sheet in both English and Japanese. It is written as "joy".

Back
Top Bottom