Southpaw Grammar

It's not very commercial, catchy and easy to love on first listen, but to my ears it just sounds better with each listen. In 20 years time when its time for Morrissey's back catalogue to be rediscovered and picked over by future generations I think this will be regarded as a lost masterpiece.[/QUOTE]

Deservedly so.....I hope you're right

Regardless of viewpoint it is about the school child....

Is it? It seems to me the song is about the demoralization, humiliation and mental anguish suffered by a teacher who can neither reach his apathetic students' minds nor defend himself from their vicious pranks because their overbearing parents would have his/her job if he dared to get tough with them. An interesting book-end to "The Headmaster Ritual" in that sense because the perspective is turned 180 degrees.

Yep. An early review pointed that out around the time of it's release. I've hammered Southpaw Grammar since day one. Never get tired of it.

Is it? It seems to me the song is about the demoralization, humiliation and mental anguish suffered by a teacher who can neither reach his apathetic students' minds nor defend himself from their vicious pranks because their overbearing parents would have his/her job if he dared to get tough with them. An interesting book-end to "The Headmaster Ritual" in that sense because the perspective is turned 180 degrees.

Exactly my point it's about how cruel SCHOOL CHILDREN can be...they turn into the Boy Racers, The Dagenham Daves, The Best-Friends On The Payroll..etc..etc..and then when they're SAD AND ALONE...they end up thinking back to childhood and wonder...Where's Mummy?

I guess I'm a n00b because it is my absolute least favorite album.

It wasn't till I went to work in a school that I could appreciate the song The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils. Morrissey amazes me with his insighfulness on so many subjects. It it so near the truth. What goes on in schools nowadays is quite appaling and frighteneing.

Back
Top Bottom