tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

Saw Doubt (2008) last week:

Well-acted with two of my fave actors (Streep & PSH) in it. It was good, but not as great as I was expecting. It didn't feel like a complete movie to me; left me thinking & with some doubt :o which I guess was the whole point.

doubt.jpg

In 1964 a Catholic elementary school has just admitted its first Black student, a 12-year-old boy transferred from public school. The principal, a rigid disciplinarian nun, and the liberal parish priest are both concerned for the boy's welfare in a predominantly Irish/Italian school. The nun becomes convinced that the priest has, or is planning to have, an improper relationship with the child and is determined to force him to leave the school. A third compassionate person is the boy's mother, who has another point of view. The fourth person is a young teacher who is concerned but confused by the conflict between the nun and the priest.

Last night, I watched The Iron Giant (1999). I had seen it before, but we watched it again. Brad Bird (The Incredibles) directed. It's a great movie for all ages. "You are who you choose to be". :)

the_iron_giant.jpg

"Iron Giant" is based upon the 1968 story,'Iron Man,' by the British poet laureate Ted Hughes. The film is about a giant metal machine that drops from the sky and frightens a small town in Maine in 1958, only to find a friend named, Hogarth, that ultimately finds its humanity and saving the towns people of their fears and prejudices.

Then watched Gran Torino (2008)

I fell asleep during it (which I never do--post root canal had somn to do with it :o) right after the bangers shoot up Tao's house. My husband had to tell me how it ended. I was still unimpressed. I got tired of Clint's grumpy, get off my lawn, guy. Something about his voice irritates me, too. Clint's a legend, just gimme his old stuff, plskthx.

torino_poster.jpg

Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition. When his neighbor Thao, a young Hmong teenager under pressure from his gang member cousin, tries to steal his Gran Torino, Kowalski sets out to reform the youth. Drawn against his will into the life of Thao's family, Kowalski is soon taking steps to protect them from the gangs that infest their neighborhood.

oj1r0k.jpg

I did watch Kids last week. It tells the disturbing tales of four teenagers who go through the world of sex and drugs. Meanwhile, a girl discovers the shocking news: she becomes tested positive for AIDS/HIV. After seeing this movie, it makes me realize that drugs and unsafe sex can kill you. And, I'll never do drugs and have unsafe sex.

be_kind_rewind_poster.jpg

I also did see Be Kind Rewind, too. It's a dark-and-light comedy that takes place at a soon-to-be closed video store (hence the name) in Passaic, New Jersey. To prevent the building (where the store is at) from being demolished, the owner of the store finds a way to make money to renovate the building and claims that the building is the birthplace of a fictional Louis Armstrong-esque jazz singer. While on a trip out of town, his employee Mike and his dimwitted and paranoid friend Jerry try to keep the store running, despite that the owner does not want Jerry in there. After being magnetized by electricity, Jerry accidently erases all the videos, until Mike comes up with the idea of "Swede"-ing every movie (which means, he and Jerry film their own versions of big-name movies, such as "Ghostbusters").

The last film I watched was American Beauty again, I love that film. Before that, I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox in the cinema, I thought it was wonderful. :thumb:

laubergeespagnole.jpeg

Or 'Pot Luck' in English, strangely.
Despite it being a bit studenty and the acting was a bit pants, it was a rather sweet film.

Last edited:

Last night, I watched The Iron Giant (1999). I had seen it before, but we watched it again. Brad Bird (The Incredibles) directed. It's a great movie for all ages. "You are who you choose to be". :)

the_iron_giant.jpg

"Iron Giant" is based upon the 1968 story,'Iron Man,' by the British poet laureate Ted Hughes. The film is about a giant metal machine that drops from the sky and frightens a small town in Maine in 1958, only to find a friend named, Hogarth, that ultimately finds its humanity and saving the towns people of their fears and prejudices.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I always cry at the end. Always.

"Superman. . ."

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I always cry at the end. Always.

"Superman. . ."
Iron_man_book.jpg

My father read me the story when I was a kid :love:
I've never seen the film, but upon your recommendation I shall :thumb:

ps: kind of weird it was written by Sylvia Plath(who I adore) husband :eek:

23551a.jpg

What a steaming pile o' crap. It might be better than Ishtar. I'm not sure.

I just saw the film Precious and it was very moving. The cast was extraordinary; every character was played beautifully (even Mariah Carey did a wonderful job.)

I found myself laughing and crying at the same time at a few points during the film. It was a heavy film splashed with things that make you laugh... It was a sad, yet somehow inspiring film. I am not quite sure how to verbalize HOW it was inspiring, it just was.

I highly recommend this film. The founder of the cinema arts center where I saw it gave a moving speech about race relations in america and the history that led up to this film (he got a degree in that stuff at columbia at a pretty late age - giving hope to the vagabonds...) Clearly he is an old hippy Jew and I enjoyed listening to him share his personal reaction to the film and his story of why he started the cinema arts center. If there is one in your town I suggest you go there to see it and support the indie film centers across the nation rather than going to see it at loews or amc or whatever...

Ghost World, It's based on the comic book. It's like one of those cult following films. It's about two outcast friends, one's an extrovert who isn't shy, but she's never satisfied. The other is less of an outcast who wants to be independent and more serious. I really like the themes they touch. The whole time they just say the mose funniest lines ever. It's totally good.

I've watched "Atonement" and they're shooting horses in that film.:mad: So now I'm watching "Marley and me" to cheer myself up.:)
(Hey, ho, I'm allowed.)

I wanna adopt Owen. i could rescue him from his multiple suicide attempts. Woof!

The book is probably more entertaining than the film but boy, is that labradoodle lively! :squiffy: (I know they probably were several of them, but still!:eek: )

Now I wanna go to DoggyBeach and wear me swimmingdoggytrunks. :(

Well Marley and me was depressing cos in the end Marley dies and it DRAGS ON FOR HOURS.:sick: Crap film.:mad: A labrador isn't enough to make a good film anyway. With 101, now you might be getting somewhere. Oh and write a vague scenario as well.

So to cheer myself up I tried Drag Me to Hell and that worked cos it's horrifyingly amusing! :p

It's not about a drag queen at all, it's about a curse and well...It shows a curse is horribly hard to get rid of. Don't ever piss poor people off. Like, ever.:straightface:

Props to Alison Lohman who has all manners of revolting things shoved down her throat for half the movie and manages to stay lovely throughout.:thumb: Excellent actress!

Ghost World, It's based on the comic book. It's like one of those cult following films. It's about two outcast friends, one's an extrovert who isn't shy, but she's never satisfied. The other is less of an outcast who wants to be independent and more serious. I really like the themes they touch. The whole time they just say the mose funniest lines ever. It's totally good.

I watched that a while ago and really liked it too. :)

I saw 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' on TV last night. Good stuff. :thumb:

Easily in my top 5 favourites :)

Gummo, 1997.

gummo1.jpg

The second time I've watched this one and I still can't really make up my mind whether it is a great piece of film making or exploitative crap. The first things that came to mind was that it was Deliverance from the point of view of the rednecks.

Mr. Lonely, 2007.

MisterLonely_.jpg

By far my favourite Harmony Korine film, it actually made me rethink the rest of his films which I always found objectionable.

I've seen a lot of films since I last posted to this thread :o
but here is most recent 5 recap:

today I watched a film I have already seen many times, but I had only seen the director's cut once maybe :confused:
40709275.jpg

and while I like the extra footage in it, the soundtrack in the director's cut is crap by that hack Jerry Goldsmith :sick: Its really a shame Tangerine Dream did not record a version of the soundtrack for the Director's cut

and on Saturday I watched
orphan-poster.jpg

there was definite creepiness about it, but not worth seeing

earlier in the week I watched:
smart-people-poster-quaid.jpg

which I really liked
before then there was 2 french films I watched:
821571.jpg

that one was good
Crimson_Rivers_II_DVD_cover.jpg

and this one was not...

Last Tango in Paris. I'm sorry, but it repulsed me. If I want to see a greasy, mean old man mistreating an overly hairy young woman... wait, I don't want to see that.

I empathise with Richard Burton's comment from back in the day: "It so absolutely revolted and embarrassed me that I didn't know where to look ... I said, 'I'm sorry, I can't stand it, I have to go. It did not turn me on, it turned me off. For a month I was asexual."

Last Tango in Paris. I'm sorry, but it repulsed me. If I want to see a greasy, mean old man mistreating an overly hairy young woman... wait, I don't want to see that.

I empathise with Richard Burton's comment from back in the day: "It so absolutely revolted and embarrassed me that I didn't know where to look ... I said, 'I'm sorry, I can't stand it, I have to go. It did not turn me on, it turned me off. For a month I was asexual."

He really said that? :confused: I just image googled the title and found a sex position I couldn't make sense of, but I didn't see anything hairy enough to be repulsive. Do I just have lower standards since I make my waxer earn her money? :p

He really said that? :confused: I just image googled the title and found a sex position I couldn't make sense of, but I didn't see anything hairy enough to be repulsive. Do I just have lower standards since I make my waxer earn her money? :p

I think the issue was with the stick of butter.

I think the issue was with the stick of butter.

And the scatalogical dialogue (which I suspect Brando improvised, I can't imagine Bernardo Bertolucci wrote such stupid crap down), and the abusive man/cowering woman theme, etc. All I know is that I haven't been so disappointed by a supposedly brilliant classic film since "Don't Look Back".

On the other hand, I loved "Performance" and Fellini's "8 1/2" so I guess there's hope for me to get some cultsha. Next on the list: "L'Avventura" by Antonioni. I liked "Blowup" and even the maligned "Zabriskie Point" so it looks hopeful.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom