"World Peace..." enters US Billboard Album Chart at #14 (updated)

Re: US Billboard Chart. Weird Al takes #1 - "World Peace in at 18 to 20

You realise how difficult it must be to make money in the music business now on album sales alone, when Morrissey sells such a relatively small amount and given how great the album is and all the great reviews.
If you want to survive you have to tour.

I can see both sides to that argument. The four songs that were `released` early aren`t bad (Istanbul is very good) but they are also nothing like the most commercial songs on the album and either Morrissey or Harvest messed up in the promotion of this album. It`s true that Morrissey doesn`t always choose the best songs to be singles but he does generally choose the most commercial...

For this album the two singles should have been Staircase at the University and Kiss Me a Lot in that order. Some of the reviews have said as much claiming that they would both garner considerable airplay and they would certainly have stood a much better chance of getting attention than the songs that were picked.

I was only making a counterpoint to so called Fan's argument. I loved the 4 early songs, especially Istanbul! The promotion is where they dropped the ball. I think they thought we will try this new system and see what happens. I just don't get how Morrissey himself approved of non physical singles when he is such a vinylphile.

Well you can look at it this away: There would be a lot more seals getting blown to bits:gun: in a national seal hunt, than sales of the album.

I'd have to ask people 3,000 kilometres away in Newfoundland where seal hunting occurs to find that out.

Please excuse me as I go on a rant that is not at all meant to be angrily directed at you...

The idiotic thing about Morrissey's boycott is that the vast majority of Canadians have NOTHING to do with the seal hunt. Here in Ontario adjacent to one of the world's biggest and best modern cities, what involvement could I possibly have with what goes on in another province 3,000 kilometres away? In actual fact Ontarians have no more to do with the seal hunt than New Yorkers do.

Morrissey knows as well as anyone that the government is capable of sanctioning things that certain individuals are against and that it really has no actual reflection on the people.

There are various and sundry other countries he should be boycotting before Canada in order to avoid looking grossly hypocritical. But I offer him a compromise -- boycott Newfoundland (with a population of a mere 514,000) and return to entertain the remaining 35,000,000 Canadians from British Columbia to Nova Scotia.

Let's face it: places like Vancouver, British Columbia, Montreal, Quebec, or Halifax, Nova Scotia are far more beautiful and cultured than the locales he seems to favour in the American midwest. He's missing out and it's his loss.

Or don't bother with this wretched nation and continue visiting squeaky clean Russia when your health permits (or the Scandinavian nations where seal hunting also occurs -- if more widely -- might I remind you).

On a relevant note however the highest Mozzer has charted with an album in Canada is #22 with Vauxhall and I. Let's see if he can beat that this time round.

Surprisingly he hit #8 in the singles chart with of all songs "I Like You" back in 2005...

"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get" -- #34
"Irish Blood, English Heart" -- #7!
"First of the Gang to Die" -- #57
"You Have Killed Me" -- #3!!!

Are his only hits on the main chart here.

Not that I'm old enough to remember but I do believe he was big on the modern rock stations in Canada in the early 90s.

Last edited:

It saddens me that a man so thoughtful of artwork not only approved the album cover, but the plain sleeve for the 10".

Someone on twitter posted a photo illustrating how every album cover has been further and further away from Morrissey and the next album will be him driving around the block. While he may not want his face close up on a sleeve anymore, why did he allow for this mess?

Does he not care or did Harvest simply not have the budget?

This guy is in the hospital and the doctor walks into the room.

The doctor says "I have some good news and some bad news". "The bad news is, we had to amputate both your legs.

The guy says "But Doc, what's the good news?"

The doctor says "The guy in the next room wants to buy your slippers".

I have to agree with the people who are saying Moz changed. I just can't get into anything he's done after Quarry.

I've listened to the new stuff, and instead of sharp lyrics that intertwine humor with insightful, clever words, that only Morrissey could come up with and the listener can grasp and enjoy, all I hear is anger, bullying, and worn out negative words. He's become an old, humorless, bitter old man.

Selling 13,500 albums is truly an embarrassment considering there's 300 million people in the U.S. Yes, I realize not all are Morrissey fans but surely he should do better than 13,500.

He's been in serious decline sine 2004. It just how it goes. I honestly haven't liked anything he's done in the last ten years.

I'm always hoping he'll shake things up. I'm always wishing he would bring in new (and better) talent into the band (aside from Matt Walker) because I really feel the rest of them should all be shown the door.

I've never thought it too late for a really strong comeback but after all the releases since Quarry it is becoming more and more apparent that he just doesn't have anything left and his writing partners are certainly not helping.

I'm always hoping he'll shake things up. I'm always wishing he would bring in new (and better) talent into the band (aside from Matt Walker) because I really feel the rest of them should all be shown the door.

IMO, the shortfalls of this album have nothing to do with the music compositions and everything to do with the lyrics. There are flashes of brilliance, of course, but for me (and I'm not trying to be a Negative Nelly) the record is already wearing thin because the lyrical quality on a number of tracks is totally sub-par - and in some cases embarrassing. In fact, it's the music behind the lyrics that saves several songs from being completely unbearable. Some ('Kick the Bride Down the Aisle' most notably) cannot be saved no matter what.

"The Father Who Must Be Killed", a song I never held in particularly high regard and one I hadn't heard in at least year, popped up today. I listened to it three times in a row. And damn if it isn't significantly more enjoyable than several of the weakest tracks on WPINOYB.

Last edited:
I’ll be happy if he does a UK tour only because then I know he’s doing ok. Then I would just hope that he does another U.S. one to make up for the cancellations and I’m even happier :)

As for the chart placing, I do think it could’ve been higher with the right press, but it is what it is.

I can't see Moz getting another deal after this failure - what with the tour debacle, the poor promotion and chart placings, he must be toxic to the industry. His best option is a cool boutique label where an album can be packaged cleverly and lovingly to his fan base. Of course, he will also need some decent songs, with melody and decent lyrics. World Peace is such a disappointment - and I so wanted it to be a triumph.

For years I've thought he should self produce his albums - yet he's said he has no interest in that option.

quite frankly its embarrassing that only 13,500+ copies were sold in the USA when more people turned up for the Staples gig!!!

The UK sold an embarrassing amount as well but still sold more than the USA and is a far smaller country.The USA fans have let Moz down and if there is no USA tour for a while then you can't complain! The UK/Europe is well overdue for a tour.

I find the whole thing sad. Yes there wasnt much promotion etc....but the real die hard fans in the USA/UK are supposedly more than the no of albums sold!

I do fear that Harvest might rip up the contract for that 2nd Album as they must be out of pocket and might not want to risk putting out a 2nd album.

I love the album but so depressed at the number of sales.

"World Peace Is All About Business"...the business of making money cause it isn't about the music or lyrics on this record.

I'm surprised you haven't been thumbed by corn, Ag, Amy, FAN, etc.....

The idiotic thing about Morrissey's boycott is that the vast majority of Canadians have NOTHING to do with the seal hunt.

I think where the argument falls down is that if the vast majority of Canadians didn't support the seal cull policy, they would vote in another government who would end the practice. The fact that they don't, means most of your countrymen support seal culling.

Although, having said that, Morrissey is now actively telling people not to vote for anyone, so....?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom