Another PJW discussion

Now that we can agree on - PJW is definitely not W.H. Auden or John Betjeman.

To the extent we have an Auden or Betjeman anymore, it's Morrissey. He should be the majestic, leonine presence impressing a critical, discerning youth somewhere, like those two did with him. I thought he had his own kind of silver-haired eminence in his recent interview with Dodwell (but unfortunately, a fawning sycophant isn't anywhere near the right person to tease out the old wit and iconoclasm). At the very least, he could've made a "vlog" post on Morrissey Central that would've been a much better presentation than Watson's.

I keep thinking of Ian Brown, a very different personality, who was "fecking fire" during the pandemic. While John Squire was the kindly rock n' roll grandfather, tweeting on-message, "listen to the authorities, get vaccinated, and stay in your homes. Be safe," Ian Brown was his young self again, hollering "amateurs!" at the powers that be. Morrissey was more or less on the right side of things, but blurting out the occasional unimaginative "con-vid" and posting Watson videos without comment just made him look timid &/or drunk.

Perhaps he does. Crisstti and I already went over this. Maybe Morrissey genuinely likes Watson's constipated and shrill presentation. That's up to him. If so, I would just file it under "disappointed in Morrissey." The videos are posted without comment, though. Did he like the content, the presentation, or both? It remains a mystery.

You're missing my point. It's not a matter of "it's okay to disagree on things." It's a matter of who Morrissey would typically consider beyond the pale. Morrissey is more committed to animal rights than other issue. The "Please Support" page on Morrissey Central solely lists animal welfare causes. In the past he has been scathing and unforgiving in his criticism of anyone who crosses him on this issue. It seems like if he knew Watson's position on this, he would despise Watson. And it would take only a few seconds for him to find it out.
I really don't think PJW is a known anti-vegan. Whatever Moz might think about whether he or anyone should or not vet anyone for their positions on veganism (or on anything) before sharing a video by them, I doubt this even crossed his mind at all.

I do think that to "vet" anyone on anything it would take only more than a few seconds. Can you just trust whatever comes up on Google in a quick search? What would someone get if they typed "Morrissey" and "racism" on Google, for example.

About PJW presentation and Morrissey's taste, PJW is obviously trying to be funny, so maybe Morrissey has found it amusing? I guess if you abhor him then it's just really annoying.

I really don't think PJW is a known anti-vegan. Whatever Moz might think about whether he or anyone should or not vet anyone for their positions on veganism (or on anything) before sharing a video by them, I doubt this even crossed his mind at all.

I do think that to "vet" anyone on anything it would take only more than a few seconds. Can you just trust whatever comes up on Google in a quick search? What would someone get if they typed "Morrissey" and "racism" on Google, for example.

Some people really like trying to defend the indefensible. Look, if you searched for Morrissey and racism, you would find the accusation, but you would also find Morrissey denying it. The difference is that Watson doesn't deny being anti-vegan. It's right there on his own Twitter feed and YouTube channel. He mocks veganism repeatedly. He believes in a conspiracy theory that "soy is turning men into pussies and making them more likely to adopt left-wing beliefs." For context, this belief is also held by Stefan Molyneaux and Faith Goldy. It's a popular alt-right meme. This isn't obscure knowledge. Nor is it difficult to find for anyone capable of using a search engine and basic keywords. Watson's position is well-known and not denied by him. He's gleeful about it. He loves eating meat and considers vegans losers. He's among the absolute last people who should be shared on Messages From Morrissey. And yet, there he is.

About PJW presentation and Morrissey's taste, PJW is obviously trying to be funny, so maybe Morrissey has found it amusing? I guess if you abhor him then it's just really annoying.

Maybe. We don't know. Morrissey is posting this stuff without comment, as if Watson needs no qualifier. If it pleases you to think Morrissey is giggling along to lame alt-right sarcasm, then have at it. I'd consider it pathetic.

Some people really like trying to defend the indefensible. Look, if you searched for Morrissey and racism, you would find the accusation, but you would also find Morrissey denying it. The difference is that Watson doesn't deny being anti-vegan. It's right there on his own Twitter feed and YouTube channel. He mocks veganism repeatedly. He believes in a conspiracy theory that "soy is turning men into pussies and making them more likely to adopt left-wing beliefs." For context, this belief is also held by Stefan Molyneaux and Faith Goldy. It's a popular alt-right meme. This isn't obscure knowledge. Nor is it difficult to find for anyone capable of using a search engine and basic keywords. Watson's position is well-known and not denied by him. He's gleeful about it. He loves eating meat and considers vegans losers. He's among the absolute last people who should be shared on Messages From Morrissey. And yet, there he is.

Maybe. We don't know. Morrissey is posting this stuff without comment, as if Watson needs no qualifier. If it pleases you to think Morrissey is giggling along to lame alt-right sarcasm, then have at it. I'd consider it pathetic.
No need to get angry Aubrey.
BTW for what is worth I do agree that Moz would probably not want to share content by anyone who's clearly anti-vegan.

To the extent we have an Auden or Betjeman anymore, it's Morrissey. He should be the majestic, leonine presence impressing a critical, discerning youth somewhere, like those two did with him. I thought he had his own kind of silver-haired eminence in his recent interview with Dodwell (but unfortunately, a fawning sycophant isn't anywhere near the right person to tease out the old wit and iconoclasm). At the very least, he could've made a "vlog" post on Morrissey Central that would've been a much better presentation than Watson's.

I keep thinking of Ian Brown, a very different personality, who was "fecking fire" during the pandemic. While John Squire was the kindly rock n' roll grandfather, tweeting on-message, "listen to the authorities, get vaccinated, and stay in your homes. Be safe," Ian Brown was his young self again, hollering "amateurs!" at the powers that be. Morrissey was more or less on the right side of things, but blurting out the occasional unimaginative "con-vid" and posting Watson videos without comment just made him look timid &/or drunk.
Agree about Morrissey being the 21st century's Auden or Betjeman.
Love the line about Ian Brown hollering 'amateurs' at the powers that be. He has done that very well since the Roses. It's a Mancunian thing.
There is very little poetry in modern life, if any at all. PJW might be worth a little disappointment, perhaps, but he's really not worth getting upset about. No one on the internet is worth getting upset about. It's all just babble in the end. As Ricky Gervais put it very well I thought, social media is just the modern equivalent of scrawling on a toilet wall. Although certainly the audience may have increased.

I had forgotten that PJW went against Alex Jones on Sandy Hook, it's in the depositions, so maybe he does not agree with everything Jones says and does

Back
Top Bottom