Confirmed: Next album to be produced with Visconti.

Roma De Moz

Fat Children Took My Life
Unless something goes horribly amiss between now and then, looks like Morrissey is taking another stab with the Brooklyn Boy. From Wikipedia:

In a recent interview on BBC Radio 5 with Tony Visconti, the producer stated that his new project would be "the next Morrissey album", though that this would not be forthcoming for at least a year.

Thoughts? Feelings? Anxieties?

that means kristeen young will be opening the next tour again....

Has already been posted here somewhere else, but excellent news regardless.

excellent news, lets just hope Morrissey can do better this time!

Am I the only the only one not entirely thrilled? I mean, don't get me wrong, i think ROTT is fine and dandy, but I hope that just because Visconti is producing again doesn't mean that the sound will be in the same vain, because the overall sound of the record was my biggest problem with it.

I would love for him to brink back Jerry Finn or Steve Lillywhite, but I suppose those days have passed. ;)

Am I the only the only one not entirely thrilled? I mean, don't get me wrong, i think ROTT is fine and dandy, but I hope that just because Visconti is producing again doesn't mean that the sound will be in the same vain, because the overall sound of the record was my biggest problem with it.

I would love for him to brink back Jerry Finn or Steve Lillywhite, but I suppose those days have passed. ;)

I definitely against another album produced by Jerry Finn.
He killed YATQ...:(

Amen. Or Stephen Street.

:eek: I hadn't even thought about Street! How could I have missed that?

And I don't think Finn killed YATQ at all. In fact, I think that on a lot of the tracks from those sessions sounded fantastic, particularly the harder-rocking numbers. I can't imagine what Daddy's Voice or FOTGtD would sound like w/ Visconti!

It's interesting, isn't it? Everyone seems to be pretty pleased with the news, yet if you ask most sensible people what they think of ROTT, they'll probably tell you it's average at best.

For me, the problem with Ringleader was that the content failed to live up to the premise; that this would be a romantic records with lush, musical arrangements set against the inspirational backdrop of Rome, with Morrissey devoting a labour of love to one of his favourite producers and producing some truly original, heart-wrenching lyrics set to epic orchestrations and bombastic Italian rock. Alas, what we got was much different, much less, with only occasional lashings of the above (Dear God, Pigsty).

Part of me feels guilty saying these things, since believe it or not I do actually enjoy the record. However, I hope that the criticisms made of the record, which are fairly consistent across the board, impress some effect on how the next one is recorded and produced. I think this new album needs to be far lyrically stronger, with Morrissey moving away from the mostly autobiographical content of Ringleader which I feel hampered the strength of the song-writing on that album. Of course, I still want to hear personal lyrics and songwriting, but with less of a 'coming out' tone to what Ringleader had.

Musically, I'm not entirely sure. Ringleader contained some glam-rock leanings with some orchestrated moments, and I don't necessarily think that a continuation of that would be a bad thing. I'm all for a more gentler sound; a combination of acoustic/orchestrated pieces would be wonderful in my opinion.

^^Nice post. I agree with most everything you said, Roma.

I think the mistake he made was trying to go back to the "glam" sound because in my opinion the glam sound worked so well on Your Arsenal that I don't think it could be improved upon, even tho YA and ROTT are two completely different albums.

I think that an acoustic/orchestral record could be fabulous and really sound great in concert.

^^Nice post. I agree with most everything you said, Roma.

I think the mistake he made was trying to go back to the "glam" sound because in my opinion the glam sound worked so well on Your Arsenal that I don't think it could be improved upon, even tho YA and ROTT are two completely different albums.

I think that an acoustic/orchestral record could be fabulous and really sound great in concert.

The "glam-rock" sound of Ringleader is very loose and far between, but it is noticeable. Part of me thinks that Morrissey was probably indulging his boyish love for Visconti and his work, and it shows on the record. I don't blame him, in fact I quite admire his dedication to working with a hero of his, but it can't be denied that the overall sound of Ringleader was lacking, especially seeing as we were told that there would be a 'distinct difference' in it.

At this stage in his career, Morrissey can afford to do something very different and interesting with his next album, if he wants to. I'm not advocating a release that calculatedly alienates listeners and fans for the sake of change, but nevertheless, I know that the union between Moz and Visconti could produce truly terrific and engrossing results.

Here is my take on it. I think it will definitely retain a lot of the sound of Visconti's Ringleader, but I think they will try out a few different things. What I don't understand is why producers are also stereotyped as having one sound to them, like they can't do something different. Apparently songwriters can do anything, but producers can only apply themselves to one idea. Sorry if that sounds like a rant, I didn't mean it to, I just think producers shouldn't be pigeonholed as much as they are.

While Arsenal, Grammar, and Ringleader all translated well live, I am thinking this one won't be remembered as one of the great live albums. I think things will be a bit more relaxed and subdued, but have a lot of the general sound of Ringleader, but toned down a bit. You'll probably find a bit more in the Dear God, Camden, Trouble Loves Me vein but I'm not anticipating a completely gentle album. Overall I think it will be a very middle-of-the-road album, having a bit of everything you'd expect. Whether that makes it a great album that pleases everyone or a disasterous mish-mash, we'll have to wait and see.

True, but he can't have another "Southpaw Grammar" disaster. I love it myself, but it did alienate many fans, especially on my side of the pond. That record killed all of his stateside momentum after Vauxhall just as ROTT did following YATQ.

Where is Steve Lillywhite when you need him these days? :(

Maybe it's not Lillywhite's fault but the final mix on V&I is too cloudy. The songs don't project. You play them loud and they just never get loud. Having said that, the songs are great. I just wish turning Speedway up to 11 would make the neighbour's plants die.

I definitely against another album produced by Jerry Finn.
He killed YATQ...:(

I was thinking about that album today and the production values and I think its interesting that the record has a softer feel to it since his credits were Rancid and Blink 182.

I think I like ROTT better but the singles from Quarry are stronger. Of course, 7 years off should give you some good singles.

Back
Top Bottom