Does anybody actually like THPGU?

I Love It!! I never quite understood all the hate:confused:

does this not explain? (he says exasperatedly!)

"the recorded version is dire. the accordion (from the live version) all but disappeared. they put in some ludicrous novelty percussion. the chugging guitar sound is horrible. and that lyric is one of the clumsiest, most dim-witted things in the history of the written word. oh and the Kristeen Young intro is absolutely ghastly. unforgiveable."

Last edited:
I like the intro...

... but that's about it, I'm afraid.

It's a very unwieldy song. None of the elements fit together. It seems like it might just fall apart at any moment.

My least favourite Morrissey song, by quite a distance.

He's allowed a few stinkers, though, considering everything else he's given us.

Rather prolific and occasionally dreadful, than always brilliant but rarely seen. :)

does this not explain? (he says exasperatedly!)

"the recorded version is dire. the accordion (from the live version) all but disappeared. they put in some ludicrous novelty percussion. the chugging guitar sound is horrible. and that lyric is one of the clumsiest, most dim-witted things in the history of the written word. oh and the Kristeen Young intro is absolutely ghastly. unforgiveable."

Well Maurice at the end of the day it's all a question of personal taste I suppose.:) I actually like all M has released- 252 songs officially released (am I correct?). I have my favorites and my least favorites but I like them all.
I think the guitars on "Grow Up" sound great, I love Miss Young intro and I can relate to the lyrics even though they are very direct. It is powerful and his singing is remarkable.:guitar:
But then again, my favorite album is "Southpaw Grammar" so what do I know?? :lbf::lbf:

when I first heard it live on the You Tube, I actually quite liked it.
the accordion part was a nice touch and the chorus melody was strong, and I hadn't made out that lyric.
but the recorded version is dire. the accordion all but disappeared. they put in some ludicrous novelty percussion. the chugging guitar sound is horrible. and that lyric is one of the clumsiest, most dim-witted things in the history of the written word. oh and the Kristeen Young intro is absolutely ghastly. unforgiveable.

Oh, thanks for reminding me - I forgot to mention the great introduction and great lyrics! :)

I like it, despite a couple clumsy lyrics. It has a nice beat to it.

in response to the original question, yes, quite a few people like it.
here's where we voted on it last year; http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83114

a staggering 15 people gave it 10/10 i.e. thought it was one of the very best things Morrissey has ever done (solo or Smith).
it's time to name and shame!

CaliforniaMozGirl, dagenham don, friday mourning, f***frankie, jesuisbryony, LOLA, lottie, mcrickson, miryam_moz85, Orson Swells, Ryan., Shaw, somebody loved me, This Charming Sam, TuQui

here's where we voted on it last year; http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=83114

a staggering 15 people gave it 10/10 i.e. thought it was one of the very best things Morrissey has ever done (solo or Smith).

CaliforniaMozGirl, dagenham don, friday mourning, f***frankie, jesuisbryony, LOLA, lottie, mcrickson, miryam_moz85, Orson Swells, Ryan., Shaw, somebody loved me, This Charming Sam, TuQui

:thumb:
I stand by that.

What's the point of naming people who gave 10?
I don't condemn that they're wrong, just because you don't like the song. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What's the point of naming people who gave 10?
I don't condemn that they're wrong, just because you don't like the song. :rolleyes:

Ah, Maurice E, did I ever mention that I agree with much you write. And this.

Kewpie, it's ME's opinion (seconded) that it's dire, dreary, dreadful. Those who inexplicably appraised it as excellent are reminded and given the opportunity to regain a respectable place in society by recanting their misplaced enthusiasm.
This place would be a parched wasteland if no-one bothered to contradict anyone else. One of the greatest amusements is in watching people get upset that other people refuse to see the error of their ways, something ME is (IMHO) gently ribbing. :D

I too am a fan. I really don't think the lyrics are bad as some people say at all..:blushing:

It's a great song but it's not bad. I like its lyrics but the melody it's not one the best - although when ti was just a unreleased song - before GH - I liked this song more than I liked "All you need is me" but nowaday I think AYNIM is better.

It's one of my favourite Mozzy singles of all time. And I like the lyrics. And the video.:)

Tuneless dirge. I've no patience or love for it.

If I didn't know who Morrissey was, and someone played me THPGU, I would think that Morrissey was a fairly talented vocalist with no sense of rhythm, and a dreadful wordsmith to boot.

THPGU is an awful song.

If I didn't know who Morrissey was, and someone played me THPGU, I would think that Morrissey was a fairly talented vocalist with no sense of rhythm, and a dreadful wordsmith to boot.

THPGU is an awful song.

+2

And enough with that lousy cowbell already...!

I like it loads. One of my favourite of his most recent songs. Quite uplifting, or somesuch.

Tags
it sucks
Back
Top Bottom