Harvest ends contract with Morrissey - TTY

Harvest should have released 'Staircase at the University' as the first single, as its obviously the catchiest track, and thrown everything at it in order to get Morrissey a hit single to power up demand for the album.

I agree that 'Staircase' should have been the lead-off single - but who's decision was it to go with the title track instead. The label? Or Morrissey?
Frankly, I suspect the latter. Morrissey has always had terrible taste regarding his own music - this is a man who though 'Ammunition' should have been the lead single off of 'Maladjusted' and thought it would be a hit.

I suspect he pushed for it, and it bombed - then he blamed the label.

I agree that 'Staircase' should have been the lead-off single - but who's decision was it to go with the title track instead. The label? Or Morrissey?
Frankly, I suspect the latter. Morrissey has always had terrible taste regarding his own music - this is a man who though 'Ammunition' should have been the lead single off of 'Maladjusted' and thought it would be a hit.

Who compiled Hatful of Hollow?

First the cancellations, then the bodyguard and now this.

Then man's life is constant drama. The issue is that he overinflated his fame, when most people don't know who he is. He can walk down the street of most places and not be recognized. He expects record companies to bend over backwards for him, and in return he cancels tours, talks shit about his record company and doesn't promote his album. They got fed up, and I'm sure they had a clause to get out of a second album.

It sucks, when the singles were released and the videos came it it looked so hopeful, a rebirth for his career. Now look at where he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTibZkqPNU

This is where he needs to talk to Amanda Palmer about that kickstarter option.

She knows how to do it and would be able to set aside some of the money for recording, some for promotion and some for some profit.

It would be a huge success with the right person leading it. The budget would be there. He'd have nothing to complain about.

"He'd have nothing to complain about."

There we have the precise reason why Our Moz will never do a kickstarter. Who will he blame when the record fails to sell?

"Ammunition" was never a single. Ever.

"Alma Matters" was the lead single off "Maladjusted" and it shot in at #16 which was pretty good considering the unwillingness to give Morrissey any reception in 1997.

Some points.

Firstly, Morrissey has every right to be angry with this label. He has delivered what is certainly his best album since 'Vauxhall & I' and possibly his best since 'Viva Hate'. He has broadened his musical palette by bringing in Gustavo Manzur whose multi-instrumentalist skills have broadened the sound and range. Joe Chiccarelli has done a stunning job. The band were on top form on this album. Harvest should have released 'Staircase at the University' as the first single, as its obviously the catchiest track, and thrown everything at it in order to get Morrissey a hit single to power up demand for the album. Instead the album has undersold. Casual buyers who don't buy every release have been allowed to think that this album is just another average offering like 'Years of Refusal' as opposed to the classic that it is.

As for reforming the Smiths, it won't happen and shouldn't happen. Johnny Marr's solo album was not a good advert for his current musical skills and so the reunion would most likely be nostalgia concerts followed by a poor album, which would tarnish the Smiths' legacy. Also Morrissey dislikes Mike Joyce intensely so any reunion would look false.

My thoughts entirely. Morrissey delivered up a good album with a couple of potentially strong singles, but the album has not been promoted effectively. It was widely reviewed, but there was no follow-up: TV is still a hugely important platform and would have helped, radio play too. Morrissey has generated plenty of attention with his 'posts', but it didn't really help the record. I'm grateful for another long player from this endlessly fascinating artists but, I must admit, my heart did sink when I heard some of the lyrics. As for The Smiths, there is no creative reason for the band to reform, it would simply be about money and would, as you say, ultimately tarnish their memory. It would achieve nothing. Morrissey is smart enough to know this.

I think personally that his voice/singing style has changed to such an extent that it no longer suits Smiths songs

That's a good point. I don't know what we would be meant to expect if they were to release a new album but it definitely wouldn't time warp to like 1988 as a follow up to "Strangeways...".

"He'd have nothing to complain about."

There we have the precise reason why Our Moz will never do a kickstarter. Who will he blame when the record fails to sell?

The Royals, Jamie Oliver, Victoria Beckham, Bryan Ferry, meat eaters, Sea World, acute fever, a burst water pipe, David Bowie cutting into his set, Mike Joyce, Judge Weeks, KFC, the NME...the list is nearly endless.

"Ammunition" was never a single. Ever.

"Alma Matters" was the lead single off "Maladjusted" and it shot in at #16 which was pretty good considering the unwillingness to give Morrissey any reception in 1997.

I know - re-read what I wrote - Morrissey thought 'Ammunition' SHOULD have been the lead single (see the liner notes in the re-issue), but was obviously over-ruled that time by the record company, who - wisely - chose 'Alma Matters' instead. 'Alma Matters' isn't great - but it's clearly got the best single potential on that album.

So I wouldn't blindly presume that it was Harvest who missed the single potential of 'Staircase'. It could just have easily been Morrissey's decision.

My general hunch on these things: is if a decision seems crazy - it's probably down to Morrissey - as, God love him, his mind works in VERY mysterious ways.

I know - re-read what I wrote - Morrissey thought 'Ammunition' SHOULD have been the lead single (see the liner notes in the re-issue), but was obviously over-ruled that time by the record company, who - wisely - chose 'Alma Matters' instead. 'Alma Matters' isn't great - but it's clearly got the best single potential on that album.

So I wouldn't blindly presume that it was Harvest who missed the single potential of 'Staircase'. It could just have easily been Morrissey's decision.

My general hunch on these things: is if a decision seems crazy - it's probably down to Morrissey - as, God love him, his mind works in VERY mysterious ways.

I do think I recall reading that now that you mention it.

I don't see why it would be a terrible single though. I think it could have done quite well.

I don't know anything about the record industry or how one goes about promoting records in the year of 2014 so I am not going to chime in with my expert opinion on who should have done what or who is to blame.

However, I will point out this. This is Morrissey's second highest charting album (14) in the Untied States--with Years of Refusal and You Are the Quarry somehow tied for highest charting (11). Only two of his albums have ever gone Gold in the US--Viva Hate and Bona Drag. Not Vauxhall and I, not Your Arsenal, not You Are The Quarry.

What exactly did Harvest expect in terms of sales/charting?

Hooray...I actually look forward to the day when the headline on here is either "Mozzer found eating hot dogs out of garbage dumpster" OR "Mozzer found curled up in a ball dead in an alley"...either works for me...the only reason I wish he'd still tour is to beat the shit out of some of you idiot moonie eyed admirers of his outside the venue...now THATS joy!!!!

I guess they just wanted to get out from under the legal fees that they might have had to pay for Moz's defense :straightface:
at a minimum
or perhaps, they know something we don't and this lawsuit has legs :eek: for me the issue really is whether it gets thrown out or not
if not, the fact is that Moz makes for a very unsympathetic "defendant" and could find himself losing a civil suit just based on the character assassination likely to come up :cool:
not that the facts help him much when it comes to his "image"

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the record industry or how one goes about promoting records in the year of 2014 so I am not going to chime in with my expert opinion on who should have done what or who is to blame.

However, I will point out this. This is Morrissey's second highest charting album (14) in the Untied States--with Years of Refusal and You Are the Quarry somehow tied for highest charting (11). Only two of his albums have ever gone Gold in the US--Viva Hate and Bona Drag. Not Vauxhall and I, not Your Arsenal, not You Are The Quarry.

What exactly did Harvest expect in terms of sales/charting?

He wasn't signed to sell records. He was signed as a name to get other bands to join the label. TV On The Radio just did.

Harvest got out because Morrissey was in breach of contract possibly due to his non-performance. Him not performing could mean many things, such as not promoting, not finishing the tour, or not reaching a certain chart position. He simply didn't meet the requirements set forth in the contract. He could have had a "best efforts" clause, that he has an affirmative duty to serve the best interests of the record company, so complaining about them in the press or saying something super controversial could have been cause to fire him as well.

He wasn't signed to sell records. He was signed as a name to get other bands to join the label. TV On The Radio just did.

Interesting theory. Like I said I don't know that much about how the record business works these days, but that makes sense to me.

It would be pointless having Rourke if they're going to have Joyce and Morrissey will NEVER work with Joyce and vice versa, so a PROPER Smiths reunion will never happen.
A Morrissey and Marr reunion, maybe.

Whatever interest Johnny had in a reunion seems to have waned significantly over the years. I'd be surprised if HE agreed to it, but my surprise would increase tenfold if HE agreed to it without Andy.

Who purports that Moz breached the contract? How do you know Steve Barnett didn't breach? How do you know Steve Barnett didn't exercise a clause that permitted Harvest to cancel on the 2nd album?

Here's what I think. Steve Barnett is a fool. When you choose to do (none of your) business with an artist, it shouldn't be about the bottom line or your big shot ego, it should be about the fact that this artist is the best person in the world to associate with in any way. Hold on to your artist.

Harvest got out because Morrissey was in breach of contract possibly due to his non-performance. Him not performing could mean many things, such as not promoting, not finishing the tour, or not reaching a certain chart position. He simply didn't meet the requirements set forth in the contract. He could have had a "best efforts" clause, that he has an affirmative duty to serve the best interests of the record company, so complaining about them in the press or saying something super controversial could have been cause to fire him as well.

Was going to write something similar but this sums it up.

Boz does tons of side projects and works for other "bosses," why can't Morrissey do so?
Jesse and the others may have to get jobs, if they haven't already.

I agree with you on this, I think Morrissey has been extremely loyal to his solo musicians and he won't simply drop them.

Does working with Marr and Rourke have to be an exclusive thing? There would be nothing to say that Morrissey couldn't tour and release as a solo artist after doing something as The Smiths or 3/4 Smiths.

Back to the contract being terminated, there must be a reason for Harvest doing this. It's a 2 album deal and Morrissey must have breeched some clause or other, maybe it's the promotion, maybe it's the new court case, who knows but there must be something.

Tags
harvestrecords morrissey moz no album viva hate
Back
Top Bottom