how did the bicycle riders in the stop me video get chosen?

xfranklyx

no hope no harm
ive always wondered this. i mean i know they got that moz look down an bicycles but im sure there were 10000 other fans just like that back then.
how did that bit get chosen?

an while on the subject of this video, whats the deal with the same video but the music from "ive started something i couldnt finish" playing over it?

Last edited:
ive always wondered this. i mean i know they got that moz look down an bicycles but im sure there were 10000 other fans just like that back then.
how did that bit get chosen?

an while on the subject of this video, whats the deal with the same video but the music from "ive started something i couldnt finish" playing over it?

It was arranged via a fanzine (cant recall the name). The editor put the word out, asking for anyone interested to get in touch and the chosen were selected.

The original song for the video was 'Stop Me.....' but just before the release, the Hungerford massacre took place, where Michael Ryan went on the rampage killing 16 people and then himself. The line ''plan a mass murder'' was felt too close to home and radio unfriendly, so in the UK the same film was used to back the hastily released 'I started something'.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
the same video was also chosen as a promo video for the re-release of there is a light that never goes out" in the 90 ties

i think that must be mark(?) taylor`s "smiths indeed" fanzine(produced in the late 80 ties),jukebox? as far as i heard this was the only fanzine concentrating enterly on the smiths at the time. when moz did go solo quite alot of fanzine appeared on the scene
I love fanzines and had collected quite a few not only concering morrissey . l I love the passion and heart that goes within a fanzine

the same video was also chosen as a promo video for the re-release of there is a light that never goes out" in the 90 ties

i think that must be mark(?) taylor`s "smiths indeed" fanzine(produced in the late 80 ties),jukebox? as far as i heard this was the only fanzine concentrating enterly on the smiths at the time. when moz did go solo quite alot of fanzine appeared on the scene
I love fanzines and had collected quite a few not only concering morrissey . l I love the passion and heart that goes within a fanzine

i will have to keep an eye on ebay for that one.
im a big fan of diy zines/fanzines as well. i used to do one years an years ago.

It was arranged via a fanzine (cant recall the name). The editor put the word out, asking for anyone interested to get in touch and the chosen were selected.

The original song for the video was 'Stop Me.....' but just before the release, the Hungerford massacre took place, where Michael Ryan went on the rampage killing 16 people and then himself. The line ''plan a mass murder'' was felt too close to home and radio unfriendly, so in the UK the same film was used to back the hastily released 'I started something'.

Jukebox Jury

ah man now i know..thanks!

now i think about it, i do remember hearing something about that video being changed.

i will have to keep an eye on ebay for that one.
im a big fan of diy zines/fanzines as well. i used to do one years an years ago.

as far as im know mark taylor had recently reprinted his fanzine and started selling it again
i have read this story last year there was also a contact mail adress
im still interested in getting them all as well but i havent got the money right now
hope you are not getting the last prints;-)

Yes there was only one Smiths fanzine at the time. I definately bought one copy, (maybe two) from Picadilly Records in Manchester. I found one of them quite a few years ago in a box full of stuff and sent it to someone in USA I 'met' on this site.

Jukebox Jury

I was always so envious of those fans getting to ride with Morrissey! Wonder where they are now... Any of you on Solo?

By the way I just loved the way Morrissey looks in that video. Adorable and I love him in his specs...:)

One of them took part in the charity bike ride last year for the Salford Lads Club and another one also had the starring role in the 'Everyday is like Sunday' video.

Jukebox Jury

One of them took part in the charity bike ride last year for the Salford Lads Club and another one also had the starring role in the 'Everyday is like Sunday' video.

Jukebox Jury

Very cool! I had never heard that. The girl in the video for "Sunday" is one of the riders?

Thank you JJ!

Yes there was only one Smiths fanzine at the time. I definately bought one copy, (maybe two) from Picadilly Records in Manchester. I found one of them quite a few years ago in a box full of stuff and sent it to someone in USA I 'met' on this site.

Jukebox Jury

name names do any of them come here ? , i was in love with the girl in th edils video for years and secretly still am :o

Smiths Indeed was very good and written with incredible passion - I still have a few copies and even had a photo of mine published in it. I'll have to dig them out and scan them to post on here.

Jukebox Jury

Shame on you, JJ. :p
The fanzine's name is Smiths Indeed.

Back
Top Bottom