Is Get Off The Stage About Robert Smith

Black_Eyed_Sioux

Hey Doug, how ya been??
I don't know whether this has been discussed before or not, but is Get Off The Stage about Cure frontman Robert Smith? I've always wondered because Cure songs do sound the same most of the time :p (I still like em though!)

I don't know whether this has been discussed before or not, but is Get Off The Stage about Cure frontman Robert Smith? I've always wondered because Cure songs do sound the same most of the time :p (I still like em though!)

I've always thought it's about Robert Smith AND Mick Jagger...of course, if you ask Morrissey about it today, he'll deny he ever wrote the song...

How can it be about Robert Smith? Smith is just over one month older than Moz. Nor is he particularly known for playing Fenders. It's gotta be about Jagger & Richards.

Well, Robert Smith DOES wear Mascara AND Play Guitar....and Morrissey probably would consider Smith OLD even if they are the same age...I mean The Cure started in 1977, released their first Album in 79.....Smiths started in 82 and first album in 84...and about 1989-1990 was the time when Morrissey and Robert Smith were having a war of words in print...

from an issue of Cure News that i own...

Q:Are you aware that Morrissey said he'd like to 'pop' you and that The Cure add a new dimension to the word crap?

A:Well, at least we just add a new dimension to it, and haven't tried to build a career out of it....

How can it be about Robert Smith? Smith is just over one month older than Moz. Nor is he particularly known for playing Fenders. It's gotta be about Jagger & Richards.

It's just that they had a long standing feud, Smith and Moz, didn't they? "I'll eat meat, because I hate Morrissey". Also, the "For whom the bell tolls" ending, could be a pastiche of the cure sound. It's just a thought, really.

ALSO.(I'm listening to Get Off The Stage as I'm writing this! :D) Maybe I'm reading too much into this...But the accordian sound, is quite similar to The Caterpillar (Which is an awful song, and I say that as a liker of The Cure)

They didn't have a lonstanding feud at all. They were asked what they thought of the other by stirring journalists and they both made silly quips.

They didn't have a lonstanding feud at all. They were asked what they thought of the other by stirring journalists and they both made silly quips.

Our definitions of feud are different, obviously. I wouldn't rank with the Blur/Suede feud in the early 90's, of course. Let's call it a monumental spat then. But a feud in my eyes, is hate between both parties. They hated each other.

It is about the Stones!
Moz confirmed this in an interview many years ago; think it might have been in the Face...

When Did Mick Jagger wear Mascara?

The lyrics lend more to Robert Smith than The Rolling Stones, in my opinion. Plus, admitting to writing the song about Smith would no doubt instigate mor e "silly quips".
I've also wondered about what Morrissey thought of Siouxsie & The Banshees in the time Smith was with them...

ALSO.(I'm listening to Get Off The Stage as I'm writing this! :D) Maybe I'm reading too much into this...But the accordian sound, is quite similar to The Caterpillar (Which is an awful song, and I say that as a liker of The Cure)

The Caterpillar was part of THE TOP, which was written and recorded under heavy drug use, hence about 90% of the songs (except Shake Dog Shake and Piggy In The Mirror) have disappeared from The Cure's live sets of the past 15 years..Dressing Up has been played a few times...and Give Me It was still played during The Head On The Door tour and appears on the In Orange concert video....but the rest of the album is for the most part dismissed by Robert, sort of like Kill Uncle...

When Did Mick Jagger wear Mascara?

He was Mr. Glam for awhile. Eyeshadow, too. But he never played guitar very much.

jagger1yk7.jpg

Perhaps the song is about a type of person that Morrissey didn't want to become? Did he manage? Does he think so?

I do remember a Morrissey interview in 1989 where Morrissey says that he would tour, but he didn't have a band...after all he was only 30, and if Mick Jagger could do it when he's EIGHTY....so yeah...I've always felt the song was in part directed at Mick, if not all...

Maybe I see things in the song that other people don't...Or at the very least I haven't read that particular Moz interview :D

Back
Top Bottom