Is Morrissey a NIRVANA fan?

D

DJ Pickle

Just wondering? The Nirvana box set just came out and it's mind-blowing. Not in a overly produced way, but for its rawness of talent. Every track is a one take, no overdubs, no garbage like that. There are quite a few very surprising unreleased songs that are better than anything on "Bleach" or "Nevermind", like "Talk to Me" and "Do Re Mi". Simply a treasure for the best band from the 90's.

Well I wonder why there hasn't been a box set for the best band of the 80's, The Smiths. Sure, they've been too many releases of "collections" which are the same songs (and same versions) over and over again, but surely Morrissey and co. had many demos, home recordings and other rarities? I mean every band has some. Why hasn't there been a talk of a Smiths box set at all? Sure, I've got a lot of bootlegs like the Tate sessions etc, but there's got to be more. Also, releasing a DVD to be included into the box of rare rehersals and fan-recorded footage would be amazing.

Anyway, for all you Smiths/Nirvana fans out there, the new Nirvana box set is out of this world.

> but surely Morrissey and co. had many demos, home
> recordings and other rarities? I mean every band has some. Why hasn't
> there been a talk of a Smiths box set at all? Sure, I've got a lot of
> bootlegs like the Tate sessions etc, but there's got to be more.

as far as I know there is not more. that is the reason why "Last night I dreamt" has old peel sessions as b-sides.
like you said a box would merely be more versions of the same songs. I remember (but may not be correct) that there are only alternate versions of Frankly mr Shankly and Ask that are interesting. Other that that nothing.

In any case EMI owns the copyrights to the songs so the money wouldnt go to the chaps (being the songwriting duo), so there is hardly a reason for them to release anything, other than to please us of course.

Back
Top Bottom