Merion West: "Nothing to Answer for: The Fearless Art of Morrissey" (January 6, 2024)

morrissey-flashback.jpg

By Gerfried Ambrosch

“Refusing to take the path of least resistance when it comes to his career, Morrissey is the antithesis of the cookie-cutter ‘artists’ favored and propped up by the modern music industry.“

Gawd - another hard/far right publication trying to claim him.

Imagine that lot turning up to 'You Are The Quarry' in LA to hear him sing about wanting the President of the USA to be black, female or gay.

And he's got an entirely immigrant band - who have mostly been introducing themselves in Spanish.

Last edited:
Good Lord, calm down Karen. That is not a far right publication
You can still claim him all for yourself
He won't be assassinated in LA, land of the liberals and Hispanics

Screenshot 2024-01-07 6.54.01 AM.png

Last edited:

Imagine that lot turning up to 'You Are The Quarry' in LA to hear him sing about wanting the President of the USA to be black, female or gay.

And he's got an entirely immigrant band - who have mostly been introducing themselves in Spanish.
Happy Game Show GIF by ABC Network

IMG_9567.gif

I don't know much about the UK press, but the article seemed pretty mellow to me. I don't see how it contradicts your point since it never said anything remotely provocative or offensive.

I don't know much about the UK press, but the article seemed pretty mellow to me. I don't see how it contradicts your point since it never said anything remotely provocative or offensive.

It's an American online publication - one of the murky 'pushing the overton window' types.

They're following 64 people on Twitter & almost all of them are hard/far right or getting close to it.

Last edited:
It's an American online publication - one of the murky 'pushing the overton window' types.

Oops, I didn't realize it was American. My apologies for that ; I'm not familiar with Merion West.

What I don't understand is in what aspects the article's content could be considered extreme or "murky" as you mentioned.
It didn't present anything new—just a typical article defending Morrissey while quoting him and, at the end, Dodwell too... can it really get more mainstream than that?

Oops, I didn't realize it was American. My apologies for that ; I'm not familiar with Merion West.

What I don't understand is in what aspects the article's content could be considered extreme or "murky" as you mentioned.
It didn't present anything new—just a typical article defending Morrissey while quoting him and, at the end, Dodwell too... can it really get more mainstream than that?

I'm not really buying the oops act - but whatever - the people who run the publication are dodgy. Its motives are dodgy.

It's not good for his career.

I'm not really buying the oops act - but whatever - the people who run the publication are dodgy. Its motives are dodgy.

What's an "oops act" ? Like I said, I don't know enough about the press outlet to comment on it.

Regardless of their presumed political beliefs, I found the article itself okay and wanted to understand why you considered it so outrageous.

To reassure you, the "far left" can also engage in harsh criticism of other "left-leaning press", and diverse perspectives should be welcomed.
So, I still don't get your point.

Jesus Christ

At least I learned what a 'memory hole' is - https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/The+Memory+Hole

I'm impressed by the citations of Gavin Hopps who wrote The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart, a close book-length study of the Moz phenomenon. The politics points are the stumbling blocks but then, these stories are often shot with gaps and usually too suggestive and simplified. In that respect, tiresome but if Ambrosch could next turn to the many other aspects of Morrissey's artistry, competently written.

I had never heard of Merion West either, but according to Ground News, which is an excellent resource that checks how reliable a news source is and where it fits on the left/right spectrum, it sounds very reasonable:
Screenshot_20240108_072309.jpg

Another piece saying that everything he does that is destroying his career is good and everyone else are mainstream sellouts. Great…

"The song’s subject matter may have been a reason why Capitol Records decided to shelve the eagerly awaited album, depriving legions of fans of Morrissey’s latest offering."

Or it could have been shelved purely on the basis of his total disregard for Columbia Records' request to not name Miley Cyrus as a featured artist on the album. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom