Morrissey on BBC 6 Music Live 2017 (Oct. 2, 2017, Maida Vale, London) - reminder / reports

Setlist:

You Have Killed Me / I Wish You Lonely / Spent The Day In Bed / Speedway / Istanbul / Ganglord / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Back On The Chain Gang / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / The Bullfighter Dies / When You Open Your Legs / Jack The Ripper / Home Is A Question Mark / All The Young People Must Fall In Love / My Love, I'd Do Anything for You (not played) / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (not played)

Setlist provided by @NeilW70 / Twitter.

• BBC 6 Music Live video highlights (10 songs, UK only) - BBC iPlayer. Link posted by Jim_Royle.
  • Photos posted at BBC Radio 6 Music / Facebook (4 total)

40878_maida_vale_bbc6music.jpg

• From @NeilW70 / Twitter. Link posted by BrummieBoy.

Full #morrissey setlist at #maidavale. Looks like three more songs after went off air. Photo credit to @Dr_Paul_Thomas

40877_maida_vale_setlist.jpg
  • Link posted by an anonymous person:

Just a reminder poached from the BBC site for people wanting to watch/hear the show:

How to catch Moz tomorrow:

1) On the BBC website

Visit the BBC Radio 6 Music homepage at bbc.co.uk/6music to keep up-to-date with all the latest highlights from this year's 6 Music Live.

You'll be able to watch the live performances, plus an interview with Lauren, by visiting us from 11:30am each day.

Then, from 7pm each evening, you'll be able to watch each set on-demand, available for the following 30 days.

There'll also be a selection of video highlights and photos from all the acts available via the website.

2) On the BBC Red Button
Press Red from any BBC TV channel from midday each day to watch Morrissey, Mogwai, alt-J, Loyle Carner and Morrissey's sets live.

The performances will then be looped on Red Button, before a highlights programme goes live at 7pm.

There'll also be a special programme featuring the best bits from all the acts, available via the Red Button from Saturday 7 to Friday 13 October.

FULL RED BUTTON SCHEDULE (subject to change)

Monday 2 October: 12:00 - 16:15 / 19:00 - ongoing
Tuesday 3 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - 22:00 / 22:50 - ongoing
Wednesday 4 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - 15:45 / 19:00 - ongoing
Thursday 5 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - ongoing
Friday 6 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - ongoing
Saturday 7 October: ongoing - 17:50 / 22:00 - ongoing
Sunday 8 October: ongoing - 12:20 / 16:30 - 17:50 / 23:40 - ongoing
Monday 9 October: ongoing - 09:00 / 21:05 - ongoing
Tuesday 10 October: ongoing - 09:00 / 17:00 - 22:00 / 22:50 - ongoing
Wednesday 11 October: ongoing - 18:00 / 23:00 - ongoing
Thursday 12 October: ongoing - ongoing
Friday 13 October: ongoing - 22:00

3) On the Radio
Lauren Laverne will be taking her 6 Music show to Maida Vale, 10:00-13:00, each morning, featuring special editions of Memory Tapes, interviews with all the artists, and more build-up, before the live performance from 12:00.
Listen live, or on-demand for 30 days after broadcast, by following the links below:
4) On Facebook

Keep an eye on our 6 Music Facebook page every day from 10:30am to see Lauren in conversation with some of our acts and guests. They'll also pick the tracks to go on their Memory Tapes.

5) On Instagram

We'll be backstage on Instagram Stories, showcasing all the best photos from each performance.

6) On Twitter

Follow the conversation and share reactions on Twitter, and see some of the best moments from each session

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maida Vale always made me think of a welsh lassie with that name on drugs wearing nothing but wellies.

Imagine being me....

The difference is New Order have a healthy, balanced view of their place in music, giving weight to their past glories, their influence & their desire to carry on creating. But Morrissey just doesn't have that overview. He sees himself as a victim of a vast conspiracy to stop his new music being heard. He really thinks it's better than his hey-day. The problem is his audience clearly signal to him that they prefer some areas of his catalogue more than others. He just ignores them.

The album is already a failure. We've heard half of it, extremely unlikely the remaining half is radically different. It's just another batch of mediocre Morrissey songs. It will be interesting to see how he copes with general indifference to these songs. Will he revert to his paranoid conspiracy theories? Blame the label, media, etc? Or will he finally accept that his backing band simply cannot write the songs which would give him the large audience he clearly craves?

I tend to agree with most of your post. I liked WPINOYB - but neither that nor this will bring in a new audience. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's been time to sack the entire band including Boz (was a great partnership that's run its course) for awhile now. Start with one solid song writing partner, e.g., a Stephen Street and go from there. Alan Whyte is not the answer either - again - another case of been there done that.

Last edited:
Nice Spark's shoutout: "We release the album, which I mentioned before - it's called 'Hippopotamus'"

I guess the "we don't speak spanish" comment from the Madrid gig in the 80's is no longer true or in any way relevant anymore.

Nice Spark's shoutout: "We release the album, which I mentioned before - it's called 'Hippopotamus'"

Was that before spent the day or after. Maybe the song does bare there influence as someone suggested

Any controversy aside, these songs are truly awful. At one point he is just repeating "Heroin! Heroin! Heroin!"? You have to do mental gymnastics to convince yourself the tunes are anything more than even subpar. It's really quite sad.

He doesn't care. He's a troll.

-ambiguous Black panther t-shirt refrerence
-f*** Trump badge
-UKIP voting conspiracy
-topical 'Free Catalonia' sloganeering
-Brexit baiting

I doubt he has anything coherent to say about any of the above topics and has no real interest in them other than how they might help project his new LP into the media spotlight. The new songs are just 'new songs'. I can't recall a single melody. Listening back to the new songs again. They're just....'new Morrissey songs...same as the old Morrissey songs'.....

The only coverage he'll get for this performance will be because of his trolling attempts.

I love this site and it's both side freedom . I love that the ploy has to stand up to scrutiny.

Haha! All The Young People and Jackys Only Happy, both start off with Turkey Shuffles!
Do I really need to even say what I'm doin' over here?
Gotta tell ya, it's one hell of a feelin'.

Haha! All The Young People and Jackys Only Happy, both start off with Turkey Shuffles!
Do I really need to even say what I'm doin' over here?
Gotta tell ya, it's one hell of a feelin'.

Feck off you sproose goose.

LOL

Now this is more like it....reminds me a bit of 'Give Peace A Chance' with some rinky-tinky piano

:thumb: exactly what I thought of when that beat came in, also the vibe and looseness of the song in general.

:thumb: exactly what I thought of when that beat came in, also the vibe and looseness of the song in general.

It's a great song and for anybody who has ears, how can they still say he is bitter, depressive, pope of mope and all that bullshit.
He expresses now, more than ever before every emotion and he is getting better and better.
I just like the song very much. :thumb:

Any controversy aside, these songs are truly awful. At one point he is just repeating "Heroin! Heroin! Heroin!"? You have to do mental gymnastics to convince yourself the tunes are anything more than even subpar. It's really quite sad.

Truly awful?! You need to see a doctor and have your ears checked.

Well, he certainly doesn't "stick up" for Trump. Or May. Or Cameron when he was in power. He called Corbyn "intelligent". He's talked about his love of Islamic places like Istanbul. Obviously his politics are wildly inconsistent and veer all over the place. But I think it's too simplistic and unfair to peg him as right wing/racist. That's ignoring a whole other side to him. If he is racist he must be the only James Baldwin-loving racist out there. That's how I see it anyway.
^:thumb:

'But I think it's too simplistic and unfair to peg him as right wing/racist. That's ignoring a whole other side to him. If he is racist he must be the only James Baldwin-loving racist out there. That's how I see it anyway.'
:thumb:

"All we are saying...is give UKIP a chance!"

With 'All the Young People' and 'Spent the Day in Bed', it certainly seems as if Morrissey is channelling late 60's John Lennon. I'm hoping he grows his hair long, gets some granny specs, and spends the whole of his forthcoming US tour singing from inside a bag. It would make a refreshing change.

I thought the show was great, I stayed up all night to catch it. I liked the setlist, too. Morrissey may also have managed to convert me into a Pretenders fan, even though I loathe Chrissie Hynde's voice. Hearing Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage and Home Is A Question Mark makes me more anxious for the album.

Also, did anyone catch the broadcast of Morrissey's Top Ten? I was writing down all the songs he was mentioning to look them up later, but the broadcast got cut off. The BBC Radio 6 website said it was first broadcast in 1984, but a simple google search turns up nothing.

Has anyone transcribed the new lyrics? We got drama over here I can’t comb through every page at the moment. Thanks.

Of the new tunes, only Home stands out. That sounds like a great classic Moz tune. All the other songs, at first listen, are not up to standard I'm afraid. Maybe they'll sound better on disc but maybe not.

Also, did anyone catch the broadcast of Morrissey's Top Ten? I was writing down all the songs he was mentioning to look them up later, but the broadcast got cut off. The BBC Radio 6 website said it was first broadcast in 1984, but a simple google search turns up nothing.
1. The Tams - "Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy"
2. Billy Fury - "I Will"
3. Timi Yuro - "Insult To Injury"
4. John Leyton - "Johnny Remember Me"
5. Françoise Hardy - "All Over The World"
6. Sandie Shaw - "You've Not Changed"
7. Rita Pavone - "Heart"
8. The Marvelettes - "Paper Boy"
9. Sandy Posey - "I Take It Back"
10. Klaus Nomi - "Death"

Tags
low in high school info