Moz interviews Linder 'Interview' mag. March issue

Sorry, I don't buy any of that. If artists weren't called weirdos, if it weren't difficult, if there was no struggle in life, what would there be to make art about? If this imaginary person is happy living her life, then great. If she's unhappy because she's somehow unfulfilled then she's going to struggle to fulfill herself. Making her the victim of an opressive society is a slap in the face of Morrissey and Linder and every other artist who has been percieved as a nutcase, ridiculed, been hated even, and who has perservered in spite of it. It lessens the impact of what they've accomplished - and one of their bigger accomplishments is developing and celebrating their own individuality in the face of severe criticism. Morrissey may have had a supportive mother but he seems to have had an unsupportive father and teachers. He didn't use that as an excuse to stop trying. If he hadn't had any desire to express himself, which comes with having talent, then there is nothing to argue about.
But why should C.C. be held responsible for the brain she was born with? It's like blaming a mentally challenged person for not doing well in school.

I disagree that artists should be made to struggle in order to express themselves. Having to struggle is no great help to any artist. An artist is someone who uncovers alternative realities, views, ways of thinking, ways of looking at things. S/he could do this even without the struggle. Imagine if the world were eager for art to be made, looking at it religiously as a way of expanding their minds, excited to help every new artist along so s/he could express something else previously unseen or unheard.

It's not like the best art is rising to the top, goodness knows! Look at what's out there. :sick: When I was in art school it wasn't the best artists who got ahead. It was the ones who were the most persistent. Being talented and being persistent are not related. Not one bit.

Ok, yes, but you have to ask: is CC ever even going to read that article? Would an Ordinary Boy care in the slightest what Morrissey thinks of him? Anyone who reads that article, in print or here, already thinks of him or herself as a special wittle snowflake. M and L aren't being mean.

It's true that I might not have bristled so if he didn't have a history of mocking people that he perceives as being beneath him.

But why should C.C. be held responsible for the brain she was born with? It's like blaming a mentally challenged person for not doing well in school.

If that's her brain, and she's happy where she is, I'd just leave her alone. No one is being held responsible for anything but their failure to live up to their potential. If that's her potential, and that's where she is, then she won. She's done better than I have, at any rate.

Being talented and being persistent are not related. Not one bit.
I think they are. The intersection is genius. You can create all the art you want, but if no one ever sees it, what good have you done for the world? I do believe that art is important for its own sake, and for your own sake, but ultimately, world changing art has to reach the world.

It's true that I might not have bristled so if he didn't have a history of mocking people that he perceives as being beneath him.

Yeah. It's defensiveness. But I get the feeling he's prickly even to those he likes.

She's brillant. There's a video on Tate Gallery 9online) which she talks about her works. it's such a really interesting person.

“We are all in the gutter eating chips, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

O.Wilde

I love gazing at the sea/lakes/canals, I find it very relaxing and peaceful......almost heavenly.
we can't really gaze at the stars anymore, what with street lighting been so bright.

As Linder, In 1998 she performed a work called Salt Shrine - filling a room in a disused Widnes school with 42 tonnes of industrial salt, "a preserving, purging installation piece"

I love gazing at the sea/lakes/canals, I find it very relaxing and peaceful......almost heavenly.
we can't really gaze at the stars anymore, what with street lighting been so bright.

lainey, the other week I took 12 of Salford's finest young offenders to the Lake District. On the first night, we went for an evening hike up a hill and ended up at a spot where we were just gazing at the stars.....a brilliant clear night...... most of Salford's finest young offenders were amazed at the sight in front of them, just never having seen the stars..... and we were just 90 minutes away from Salford......:(
I love the Lake District:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

lainey, the other week I took 12 of Salford's finest young offenders to the Lake District. On the first night, we went for an evening hike up a hill and ended up at a spot where we were just gazing at the stars.....a brilliant clear night...... most of Salford's finest young offenders were amazed at the sight in front of them, just never having seen the stars..... and we were just 90 minutes away from Salford......:(
I love the Lake District:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

How beautiful. All the wonders of the world are thankfully free. I'm glad they appreciated it, the feeling of being a part of something much greater than your problems, your ego, your life. Do you remember the book The Outsiders when one of the kids speaks about the sunset? I miss the stars.

Why the sad face after Salford?

How beautiful. All the wonders of the world are thankfully free. I'm glad they appreciated it, the feeling of being a part of something much greater than your problems, your ego, your life. Do you remember the book The Outsiders when one of the kids speaks about the sunset? I miss the stars.

Nothing Gold Can Stay! Oh, one of the best books ever!

As Linder, In 1998 she performed a work called Salt Shrine - filling a room in a disused Widnes school with 42 tonnes of industrial salt, "a preserving, purging installation piece"
I loved that. Such a beautiful notion ~ like salt on an open wound, etcetera...

NZOK000Z.jpg

I got to thinking about MOrrissey's comment about horses not needing the kama sutra.

Say there's two horses, totally in love and dying to pin and mount each other, but who live in different stables because the charioteer doesn't want them to get too close. So he gets them together in spirit and they go on a wild ride. Then he gets his friends to use the same horses to take the same wild ride, to learn how to be a charioteer of two wild horses. Something to think about.

I quite enjoyed the interview,
I think linder stood her ground- she is the more widely cultured and quick witted out of the two.
I have always thought the early Smiths Morrissey was heavily in-debt to Linder and James Maker in terms of his persona and this confirms it really.
I found it amusing that Morrissey, as per, tried to make out his artistic medium was the more powerful. To me it is but not to everyone, not everyone is influenced by music the way Morrissey has been, some people are more moved by paintings or plays or sport.
I think people are being a bit cruel towards linder and Moz, I don't think they hate "ordinary people" as such, just a certain sort of person- for all we know linder may have been picked on by her nemesis. Isn't linder married with children this hardly shows someone who is cold and anti "normal". Also, taking a teaching post isn't the first port of call for a hating heart (especially if you don't need to teach). As for Morrissey, he has his issue's etc but I wouldn't say he was cold, his art is too warm and I expect if you spoke to a real friend of his they would say he was warm.
I think the interview was more an example of ironic playing between two old friends.

I quite enjoyed the interview,
I think linder stood her ground- she is the more widely cultured and quick witted out of the two.
I have always thought the early Smiths Morrissey was heavily in-debt to Linder and James Maker in terms of his persona and this confirms it really.
I found it amusing that Morrissey, as per, tried to make out his artistic medium was the more powerful. To me it is but not to everyone, not everyone is influenced by music the way Morrissey has been, some people are more moved by paintings or plays or sport.
I think people are being a bit cruel towards linder and Moz, I don't think they hate "ordinary people" as such, just a certain sort of person- for all we know linder may have been picked on by her nemesis. Isn't linder married with children this hardly shows someone who is cold and anti "normal". Also, taking a teaching post isn't the first port of call for a hating heart (especially if you don't need to teach). As for Morrissey, he has his issue's etc but I wouldn't say he was cold, his art is too warm and I expect if you spoke to a real friend of his they would say he was warm.
I think the interview was more an example of ironic playing between two old friends.

Interesting thoughts.

I was talking to a fellow yesterday who was struggling with his thesis on creativity. I directed him to this interview, and cited some of Linder's ideas. He took notes.

Moz and Linder should take this on the road. They are engaging in print, but I think they would be hysterical in person. I'd love to see a lecture tour, or maybe just "An Evening with Moz and Linder."

That would be a blast.

After reading the interview, I must say "Bring on Morrissey - The Autobiography!"

Back
Top Bottom