My encounter with Morrissey

It is a great account of the incident, full of unusual details. There will have to be yet another book, apparently, called More Meetings with Morrissey, or something like that! ;)

The basis of life revolves around being at the right place at the right time and I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun. Here's what happened:

I went to see Morrissey play Hovet, Stockholm last night and today while taking the boat back to Finland something truly bizarre took place. Tour of refusal has a few gigs in Finland, but for some reason it never even crossed my mind that Morrissey and the lot would take the boat to Turku (especially a boat as tacky as Viking Line). Well, I was wandering around the boat, looking for a quiet place (far away as bossible from the nasty little children) to read Sylvia Plaths The Jarr Bell and suddenly saw Arturro on the stairway. The first impulse was to follow him and so I did. I found Morrissey on the outerdeck surrounded by bandmembers, enjoying some drinks in the warm sunshine. The mind was racing at this point.

I sat down and observed this quite unreal situation for a minute or two and then made my move. The seat next to Morrissey became vacant (I think it was Tobias sitting there, can't be sure tough) and Arturro was deep in conversation at another table so I aproached him. There has to be a thing called intuition for I had a marker in my bag just for this kinda confrontation.

I think the dialog went something like this:

(me shyly aproaching Morrissey) Sorry to disturb you but can you sign something?

(Morrissey, very receptive) Sure, sure.

(a lady sitting near to him, friend or manager of some sort?) It depends on what you want him so sign. That was meant for a joke, I think.

(I take my copy of Jarr Bell and show it to Morrissey) It's a book by Sylvia Plaith. Have you read it? It's good.

(Morrissey) Of course, of course.

(I fumble with my marker, first trying to open it from the wrong end and give it to Morrissey)

(Morrissey flipping the pages) Where do you want me to write it?

(Me with heart beating like hell and legs barely there) Just put it on the cover.

(the woman gave amused laugh next to me as Morrissey scribbles his name on the book)

(the woman looks at me) We are having a quiet time right now.

(Morrissey comes to my defence) Oh he knows, he knows.

(me) I'll see you at Tampere. First Morrissey can't make out what I'm mumbling so I repeat it. He says something, I can't recall what.

(me) Thank you. I touch Morrissey's arm shyly as a sign of gratitude. Or affection, I don't know.

(then I walked away with braincell's still trying to figure out what just happened)

This how I recall the situation. For once I can say luck was firmly on my side.
And besides, I got to see Boz wearing shorts and sneakers. I doesn't get better than that. :D

And tomorrow, Tampere!

That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. Don't you feel... um... like something in your chest opened up?

Thanks for sharing Wozzer - that sounded absolutely amazing! and Morrissey sounded so charming (well, what else would he be?).

Jealous! :)
He sounds like a lovely person to meet...in person. *sighs happily*

This is amazing!, talking to Morrissey! Congratulations dude. How did you manage such amount of adrenaline? Are you aware you could have needed advanced cardioresucitation on board? ;)

"we are having quiet time right now"

Are "we"? well, then.. please be quiet and allow for Mr. Morrissey to sign.

:)

... is what some of us would have said, and without hesitation.

Good story!

I know, I read that and wondered if Morrissey isn't accompanied by a kindergarten teacher...wait a minute. :straightface:

The basis of life revolves around being at the right place at the right time and I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun. Here's what happened:

I went to see Morrissey play Hovet, Stockholm last night and today while taking the boat back to Finland something truly bizarre took place. Tour of refusal has a few gigs in Finland, but for some reason it never even crossed my mind that Morrissey and the lot would take the boat to Turku (especially a boat as tacky as Viking Line). Well, I was wandering around the boat, looking for a quiet place (far away as bossible from the nasty little children) to read Sylvia Plaths The Jarr Bell and suddenly saw Arturro on the stairway. The first impulse was to follow him and so I did. I found Morrissey on the outerdeck surrounded by bandmembers, enjoying some drinks in the warm sunshine. The mind was racing at this point.

I sat down and observed this quite unreal situation for a minute or two and then made my move. The seat next to Morrissey became vacant (I think it was Tobias sitting there, can't be sure tough) and Arturro was deep in conversation at another table so I aproached him. There has to be a thing called intuition for I had a marker in my bag just for this kinda confrontation.

(me shyly aproaching Morrissey) Sorry to disturb you but can you sign something?

(a lady sitting near to him, friend or manager of some sort?) It depends on what you want him so sign. That was meant for a joke, I think.

(I take my copy of Jarr Bell and show it to Morrissey) It's a book by Sylvia Plaith. Have you read it? It's good.

(I fumble with my marker, first trying to open it from the wrong end and give it to Morrissey)

(Me with heart beating like hell and legs barely there) Just put it on the cover.

(the woman gave amused laugh next to me as Morrissey scribbles his name on the book)

(me) I'll see you at Tampere. First Morrissey can't make out what I'm mumbling so I repeat it. He says something, I can't recall what.

(me) Thank you. I touch Morrissey's arm shyly as a sign of gratitude. Or affection, I don't know.

(then I walked away with braincell's still trying to figure out what just happened)

And besides, I got to see Boz wearing shorts and sneakers. I doesn't get better than that. :D

And tomorrow, Tampere!

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!! you meet moz!!!! that`s fantastic,i`m happy for you,that`s what i call luck! did you took any pictures? you are a lucky man,congrats.....:)

And tomorrow, Tampere!
wonderful, well deserved!:thumb:
nauttia tampere, rakas!
hyvästi!
"were having some quiet time now." . thats prob the bossy manager sarah:rolleyes:
does he have to do also a afternoon sleep as little kids do? ts ts:rolleyes:
jennifer the PR girl is qite bitchy as well as told at cowshed`s encounter
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1014376&postcount=1
(Morrissey comes to my defence: "Oh he knows, he knows
oh..immediately "he knows I`d love to see him" springs to mind when reading it *hums it*

Last edited:
good for you, that is super!

(I fumble with my marker, first trying to open it from the wrong end and give it to Morrissey) haha, only natural

Thanks for sharing your lovely story of meeting Morrissey. I know she's just doing her job but surely she didn't need to chime in with the "We're having quiet time." I'm sure Morrissey can talk for himself if he didn't want to be bothered. Anyway, congratulations wozzer!:)

Very nice story!!
And I enjoyed reading it!!!
So Glad you met him!!!
I had almost the same experience, totally out of the Blue, when I Literally Bumped into him in 1987....In Liverpool,. The "Person" ( Male, this time...) he was with wanted him to leave, and was pretty much insistent about it, but Morrissey seemed rather happy to want to chat to me, and he signed a few pieces of cardboard ( Ripped from a Cigarette packet...).
I didn't have any paper!! but, I had a pen!!!
( STILL Got it!!!).
Thanx for sharing the tale!!!

His ladyfriend sounds a bit of a beeyatch, or am I being too sensitive? She didn't need to laugh at him signing the cover of your book. I'm easily offended I suppose.

Lovely for you, Wozzer :thumb:

What a great story and well told :thumb: I'm very happy for you.
I'll never forget my short encounter with him, its out of this world isn't it? I hope you kept the pen?? I know I did :)

Maisey, let's ditch our handlers and see the world together alone. :sweet:

His ladyfriend sounds a bit of a beeyatch, or am I being too sensitive? She didn't need to laugh at him signing the cover of your book.

Nah, you're not being too sensitive, it's what I was thinking when I read Wozzer's post... "what a bitch!" =O

Congrats much Wozzer! .. it's always nice when people get to meet him spontaneously and not by stalking him :straightface:

Oh wow! Long time being close to Moz or did you manage to resist gawking at him for the whole trip :D

I didn't want to bother him too long so I just asked for the autograph and tumbled away from the situation. I tried to look for him when getting off the boat at Turku tough, but could only spot the band. I kinda new he wouldn't be in the crowd.

Lovely story! Glad he was relaxing in the sunshine.
By the way, did you get to see what he was drinking?

I can't tell what it was, but I'm preeeetty sure it had alcohol in it. It was kinda hard taking in details like that

This is amazing!, talking to Morrissey! Congratulations dude. How did you manage such amount of adrenaline? Are you aware you could have needed advanced cardioresucitation on board? ;)

In fact I managed to keep myself quite analytical and wasn't compeletely overwhelmed by the situation. Something I'm very suprised about.

I had a very good spot near the front of the stage in the midle at Helsinki and I believe Morrissey took notice of me judging by the expression on his face. There's a great chance of course that it was just my imagination that played tricks on me. Anyway, I'll keep treasuring the Plaths charming book with the name Morrissey scribbled on it by beatiful handwriting. Oh, lucky days.

hej woz..

do you remember what he did wear?

hej woz..

do you remember what he did wear?

If I'm not terribly mistaken he wore the same clothes at the Tampere-gig next day. He was wearing sunglasses, that's at least one certain thing I can say abut his appearance. :lbf:

Edit. And of course the novel is titled THE BELL JAR and not THE JARR BELL. Oh, how sloppy of me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom