New Smiths boxset/remasters details from Mojo

Can we consider that news true? or is it another rumor?

Good question, I'm not sure on the history of past rumors, but I'd say the fact that Johnny Marr made so many specific comments about what would be in the box-set/remasters, that I'd tend to think it's all true.

I'm a little confused as to what would be in the 4 cd box-set that wouldn't be on the remastered albums, as I believe it said the remasters would be 2 cd sets, leading me to believe outakes and alternate versions would comprise the second disc.

I just wish they'd given an estimate on date of release. Very excited by the news and long overdue.

Last edited:
Well Marr did say, last month, and Morrissey has been in contact with him about it, that they're talking to the record label, and that he expects the set to be released within the next 18 months.

As for this article, I'm not sure if the "4-disc set" thing is just speculation by the magazine - the only part that seems to come straight from the record label is the 2-disc releases and the singles. Maybe the second disc will be full of outtakes and rarities, as well as singles and b-sides from around the time of the album (like "Rubber Ring" and "Asleep" being on The Queen is Dead disc 2, "I Keep Mine Hidden" on Strangeways disc 2, etc.).

We'll see. But it's exciting to see it moving at last, especially since it seems Johnny will be doing the remastering this time, and it will be the entire catalogue.

Back
Top Bottom