Responses from people when you say you are a Morrissey fan.

"He's dead, isn't he?" My Dad's classic response, when I told him I was going to a Morrissey concert. Pa had mistaken him for Jim Morrison of The Doors.

I remember my wifes boss telling her colleagues (during the Boxers tour) that she had to take some time off to go and see Jim Morrison. He was so clueless, he had no idea he was dead!

I believe I've gotten asked if he's dead before. :(
I remember going, "What?! HE IS NOT DEAD. :( :("

When I first told my dad I liked Morrissey he went, "WHY?" and now he proceeds to make fun of him whenever he can.

I never bother to tell people I'm a Morrissey fan, because nobody knows who he is, where I live. The name wouldn't mean anything to them. Except there are 2 other kids at my school, who I don't even know, who are Morrissey/Smith fans apparently, because both of them have appeared excited at the sight of my related shirts, and they compliment them.

Everyone just says:- "Who?"
But my niece a couple of years, who knows who the Smiths and Morrissey
are recommended I see a counsellor about loving Mr. Morrissey and said
she can't stand him.
Since then we don't talk to much about him.
But she's obsessed with Damon Albarn.
So, whatever!;)

In my new job I told a colleague I was a big Morrissey fan. Expecting her to say "Who?", she said "oh don't you feel like killing youself after you've listened to him". I nearly said "no, but I'll kill you if you don't shut up". What sort of responses have you had?

Usually, I get, "Who?" or, "You listen to that fag?" (those people get their asses kicked.)

Every single one of these responses I've heard. The one that always irritated me was "ARE YOU GOING TO KILL YOURSELF? HE'S SO DEPRESSED!!!!!" I eventually just gave up and stopped telling people. That and the "HE'S GAY! WHY DO YOU WASTE YOUR TIME LOVING A GAY MAN." f***ing idiots. That's EXACTLY who was talking to me, f***ING IDIOTS.

It hurt me to hear all these things. I hate this thread.

Research has shown that vegetarians have, on average, IQs ten point higher than the population in general. Do you see where I'm going here? If everyone liked Morrissey, then I would worry.

Every single one of these responses I've heard. The one that always irritated me was "ARE YOU GOING TO KILL YOURSELF? HE'S SO DEPRESSED!!!!!" I eventually just gave up and stopped telling people. That and the "HE'S GAY! WHY DO YOU WASTE YOUR TIME LOVING A GAY MAN." f***ing idiots. That's EXACTLY who was talking to me, f***ING IDIOTS.

It hurt me to hear all these things. I hate this thread.

I've gotten the gay thing before. :(

Even if HE is gay, why should that stop me from loving him? :D
Women love gay men all the time!

Like Captain Jack from Doctor Who/Torchwood - John Barrowman IRL is 100% gay. But that doesn't mean I'd love to you know. *coughs*

Anyway, see mah point?

The gay thing is just immaterial and stupid.

I've gotten the gay thing before. :(

Even if HE is gay, why should that stop me from loving him? :D
Women love gay men all the time!

Like Captain Jack from Doctor Who/Torchwood - John Barrowman IRL is 100% gay. But that doesn't mean I'd love to you know. *coughs*

Anyway, see mah point?

The gay thing is just immaterial and stupid.

Well of course I know that now, but as an impressionable teenager it really offended me that there was this barrier put up between me and a man I very much admired due to some theorized impression that he was gay. Today he could be as queer as a three dollar bill and I'd love him still despite the impossibility to connect physically with him, but when I was young I just felt repeatedly shut down. YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME was the general message. Morrissey was, I believe, the first living person I fell in love with. (I had a thing for Mozart before Moz) So naturally I was daily crestfallen at the response I received over and over. Perhaps that's why I feel so strongly about inter-racial relationships and the pain that goes along with "You can't love him he's not your color." I'm babbling. Ignore me.

Well of course I know that now, but as an impressionable teenager it really offended me that there was this barrier put up between me and a man I very much admired due to some theorized impression that he was gay. Today he could be as queer as a three dollar bill and I'd love him still despite the impossibility to connect physically with him, but when I was young I just felt repeatedly shut down. YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME was the general message. Morrissey was, I believe, the first living person I fell in love with. (I had a thing for Mozart before Moz) So naturally I was daily crestfallen at the response I received over and over. Perhaps that's why I feel so strongly about inter-racial relationships and the pain that goes along with "You can't love him he's not your color." I'm babbling. Ignore me.
It's okay. :D I know how you feel.

I always get the "He's OLD why do you like HIM? He's so olllddd. You couldn't be with him anyway cause he's OLD."
to which I reply that I've always liked older men and that quite frankly Morrissey is quite dashing and I could care less about his age. If he can still writhe around on stage then I'd say he's still defiently young. :D

It's okay. :D I know how you feel.

I always get the "He's OLD why do you like HIM? He's so olllddd. You couldn't be with him anyway cause he's OLD."
to which I reply that I've always liked older men and that quite frankly Morrissey is quite dashing and I could care less about his age. If he can still writhe around on stage then I'd say he's still defiently young. :D

I get that a lot now. "He's too old for you." Are you kidding me? We both have crows feet. He's not too old for me. When he's 90 I'll be 75. We're perfect for each other.

(The jukebox begins to play 'Suedehead')
me: (sigh) I love Morrissey...
them: I like The Smiths but I don't like Morrissey.
me: Really? Explain.
them: I don't know, it's just not as good.
It's understandable.
me: ... Have you heard Mozzer's solo work?
them: Well, mostly just singles and I wasn't terribly impressed.
me: Can I make you a mix--
them: NO.
Bad mannered people; I'd say yes even if I weren't interested in the cd, I take it and put it on a shelve. That's a stupid behaviour.

Research has shown that vegetarians have, on average, IQs ten point higher than the population in general
Bollocks. Let's say I become a vegetarian and so do lots of meateaters. Does our IQ change? Of course not. There would be no difference then. Plus, usually peope aren't vegetarian, they become so at a certain stage in life. If they didn't refuse to eat meat they would still be intelligent.
Oh, I haven't proved my point... Maybe I'm even wrong.

On topic. I only tell other Moz fans I am a Moz fan. No, I'm lying.

Last edited:
"Isn't morrissey like an old gay man now?" :rolleyes:

i couldnt help but just laugh when they said this because the look on this guys face was something of disgust as he said it, it was just funny.

I'm sure this Friday (or whenever it is we're doing it.) will be interesting. I'll be playing a Smiths song in class. We were supposed to bring in a song about a war, but I couldn't think of any Smiths/Moz song that's specifically about a war, so I asked my teacher if I could use Suffer the Children (The Moors Murders) and he said it'd be okay.

Unless someone knows any of the songs that is specifically about war? D:

either way I'm sure everyone's reactions are going to be "wut?" D:<

I'm sure this Friday (or whenever it is we're doing it.) will be interesting. I'll be playing a Smiths song in class. We were supposed to bring in a song about a war, but I couldn't think of any Smiths/Moz song that's specifically about a war, so I asked my teacher if I could use Suffer the Children (The Moors Murders) and he said it'd be okay.

Unless someone knows any of the songs that is specifically about war? D:

either way I'm sure everyone's reactions are going to be "wut?" D:<

The only line I can think of that directly mentions war is the line in Shoplifters Of The World Unite about the time news of war being the only thing Morrissey saw on channel four. ;] hahahaha

hopefully someone massively cool in your class will hear Suffer Little Children and love eeeeet. :p:cool:

The only line I can think of that directly mentions war is the line in Shoplifters Of The World Unite about the time news of war being the only thing Morrissey saw on channel four. ;] hahahaha

hopefully someone massively cool in your class will hear Suffer Little Children and love eeeeet. :p:cool:
yea, that's the only one that I can think of that ever really even mentions war. D:

I thought about playing you know, Interesting Drug (Which would be so painfully lolzy cause we have JROTC (a military program) and a Naval Academy at our school. that and, well, yea, lotsa people take drugs in our school. D: ), or Crashing Bores (I SOOO wish I could've sang that in the Talent Show.)

I'm also slightly tempted to bring in Jack The Ripper as it is a historical song...sort of.

When I grew up (fast) and became more educated I reserved my interest in Morrissey to private study. Then when I'd break form and play a song at work and someone would do a mock Morrissey voice imitation I'd roll my eyes and look down my nose at them all the while thinking, "You'll never know what he's up to." That's actually not true. I'd instantly on the inside turn back into a teenager and be hurt by it then walk over to the CD player and take the CD out. I hate this topic. I think I mentioned that earlier.

Back
Top Bottom