smiths things to see in manchester,london

moscow kate

Hi,iam visting london,manchester soon and i wanted to know what good smiths,morrissey things to see in each city.What is best way to get to salford lad club?.

I'm going to be there at the end of this month. I can't believe it's finally happening. I hope you get more responses to this thread. I'm playing close attention. :)

I'm going to be there at the end of this month. I can't believe it's finally happening. I hope you get more responses to this thread. I'm playing close attention. :)

Scarlet

I'ld be happy to show you round the East End Morrissey attractions! I'll even buy you breckfast at The Turks Head! Sure Paul c, Madam Chaos and Maurice C will join us.

It would be nice to meet you.

P.S It's a fair point about that book, it covers everything!

Hi,iam visting london,manchester soon and i wanted to know what good smiths,morrissey things to see in each city.What is best way to get to salford lad club?.

When are you coming to London Town?

I would like to go down to Manchester for a day or two just to see whats its like. I was in Liverpool before and it was like going in a time machine back to what Dublin was like in the eighties and early nineties.Everything seemed so old and to be falling apart.It just seemed really dead.My friend said every city in the uk is pretty boring apart from London anyway.

would love to go too...some day..
I have heard morrissey musing several times how manchester has changed but not in a postitive way..
as early as in that bbc radio one "my top 10 " show in 1984 as well as in some interviews in later years
(the downloadink for that radioshow ^is still valid)

can some fellow mancunian share their personal view/ can comment on the changes manchester did go through..do you share morrissey`s point of view?

i know that for example that some old buildings i have been demolished
morrissey muses about it

a video of someone doing the "smiths tour" around manchester

Last edited by a moderator:
Handy print out guide

Jukebox Jury kindly posted a thread of a compact walking tour plan:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88339

Ideally you read the book Panic on the Street before set off and bring JJ's print out guide.

If you're planning to visit Manchester I'd advise you to send a PM to JJ.
If he isn't busy he might be happy to help you. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool. Thanks for all the info. It would probably be next month if I was going.
Actually I'm just sitting thinking and realising I have a few links to the place. My dad grew up there and I have first cousins living there and an aunt too.There is probably a load of second cousins there too lol.

a photo outside salford lads club [on st ignatius walk M5 3RX]
& a wander through southern cemetry [barlow moor road & nell lane, chorlton cum hardy] are my favourites & maybe a cup of tea [with the taste of the irwell] & toast in whalley range to finish
x

The tour looks a bit depressing from that second video. I dont want to spend all my time wandering around a graveyard. I think I will go when that play os on 'a taste of honey' as I wil need something else to do.

Scarlet

I'ld be happy to show you round the East End Morrissey attractions! I'll even buy you breckfast at The Turks Head! Sure Paul c, Madam Chaos and Maurice C will join us.

Cough. Can I not be part of the gang now? :o

And 'Panic on the Streets' I cannot recommend enough. It has both London and Manchester locations, so there's no need for anything else.

I would like to go down to Manchester for a day or two just to see whats its like. I was in Liverpool before and it was like going in a time machine back to what Dublin was like in the eighties and early nineties.Everything seemed so old and to be falling apart.It just seemed really dead.My friend said every city in the uk is pretty boring apart from London anyway.

well I went to a free music festival in liverpool last weekend with hundreds new bands and tribute bands include a "smiths" one. I think over 700 000 people went. I also went to the Klimt’ exhibition which will never be shown outside Austria and it was packed ! also all museums in liverpool and manchester are free unlike erm.... london! so maybe your just uncultured or jealous after all the liver building are a World Heritage site and Liverpool is European Capital of Culture 2008!

That is great. I'm not trying to put down Liverpool.I'm just giving the honest, first impression I had of the place.Maybe if I went again I would have a different experience of it.You have to understand that before this I had not left Dublin for something like 10 years so that was my only means of comparison.

salford lads clubs can be quite hard to find and the area is not a good idea to go into if u dont know where ur going .I would get a taxi they will take u right to it just ask for St. Ignatius Walk salford.I have heard of tourists trying to find it on foot and have got lost and got mugged .

What parts of Liverpool did you visit if you don't mind me asking? and how long ago, it's really changed in the last 10 years :)

well I went to a free music festival in liverpool last weekend with hundreds new bands and tribute bands include a "smiths" one. I think over 700 000 people went. I also went to the Klimt’ exhibition which will never be shown outside Austria and it was packed ! also all museums in liverpool and manchester are free unlike erm.... london! so maybe your just uncultured or jealous after all the liver building are a World Heritage site and Liverpool is European Capital of Culture 2008!

The Mathew st festival was great wasn't it? :)
The Smiths Indeed were good, did you see the Queen tribute band?

Cough. Can I not be part of the gang now? :o

And 'Panic on the Streets' I cannot recommend enough. It has both London and Manchester locations, so there's no need for anything else.

D:

Have I offended you in some way, Cowshed?

went in Jan this year
Iron Bridge:
ironbridge.jpg

Salford
SalfordLadsClub.jpg

also went to the Holy Name Church although i cant find the picture at the moment and Moz's childhood home (just drove by, i thought it to be a bit strange standing outside someones house and take pictures)..

i'll be back in Nov..
need to go to the Southern Cemetary and any other spots that come up on in this thread!

salford lads clubs can be quite hard to find and the area is not a good idea to go into if u dont know where ur going .I would get a taxi they will take u right to it just ask for St. Ignatius Walk salford.I have heard of tourists trying to find it on foot and have got lost and got mugged .

My boyfriend and I went on the bus from Piccadilly Gardens and didn't have any trouble (although it was the middle of the day). As I recall, Salford Lads Club is just round the corner from the bus stop.

(Some kids went past and commented: "They're mad, them", but there was no aggro).

Back
Top Bottom