The Smiths reach top 500 of all time on Spotify

The Smiths’ popularity keeps growing and growing. For the first time they have reached 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify ánd made their top 500 artists which deserves a special mention on Spotify’s platform.

IMG_6183.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023"

"To have the Smiths as your distant roots gives me pride, and the reasons why we were ridiculed and rejected have now become the precise reasons why so many people love the Smiths in 2023. It’s on the rise! You see, the people are always right.
On Spotify, Smiths songs have the same number of hits as Beyonce, yet Beyonce is promoted hourly on every Selfridge’s escalator, yet the Smiths have never had any form of promotion whatsoever.
Also, there was a weekly momentum with the Smiths that cannot happen now … every Thursday brought some vibrant Smiths news, and every three months there would be a new 7-inch in Woolworths and Our Price … it was a very British way of doing things and people really enjoyed it. Suddenly Smiths’ graffiti appeared on Coronation Street … but that edge-of-seat way of following a band doesn’t happen now because radio and charts were handed over exclusively to techno dance music.
For me to have moved along with ‘Viva Hate,’ ‘Bona Drag,’ ‘Your Arsenal,’ ‘You Are The Quarry,’ ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors,’ ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business,’ and others … well, who could be happier?"

FWD.

Was looking for that, what’s your source?

As for older artists, Queen (at 45) are actually the most popular, Beatles only at 101.

As for Smiths’ contemporaries U2 are at 273, R.E.M. at 392 and The Cure at 416.
This is a screenshot from Wikipedia. Numbers are from January 30.

nearly all of them from the same style of music,absolute mince.
most of these artists couldnt lace the smiths or morrisseys boots for originality,lyrics or music.but hey ho its the world we live in and the world wont listen.

Are The Smiths that popular though, or is it just a few songs that get them up there? Back in the day, it went off record sales. How many of these millions are listening to the whole of Meat is Murder, or delving into Hatful of Hollow?

Sophie Ellis-Bextor* is ranked 262nd and outside of one hit on a meme or another, nobody is listening to anything else by her.

anyway... mumble, grumble, modern life is rubbish.

*I'd have put money on her being called Baxter :)

most-monthly-listeners-on-spotify

Are The Smiths that popular though, or is it just a few songs that get them up there? Back in the day, it went off record sales. How many of these millions are listening to the whole of Meat is Murder, or delving into Hatful of Hollow?

Sophie Ellis-Bextor* is ranked 262nd and outside of one hit on a meme or another, nobody is listening to anything else by her.

It’s not just a few songs. Even lesser popular Smiths songs are still reaching tens of millions of listeners:

I doubt that many younger listeners listen to the entire albums though. It’s more song oriented these days.

Great numbers , but I wonder how much the band earned from all those streams - I'm guessing about 50 quid? :unsure:

she is known for one hit,how the heck is she 262nd.
murder on the dancefloor more like murder in my ears.

"Morrissey Talks to Fiona Dodwell for Gabfest, April 2023"

"To have the Smiths as your distant roots gives me pride, and the reasons why we were ridiculed and rejected have now become the precise reasons why so many people love the Smiths in 2023. It’s on the rise! You see, the people are always right.
On Spotify, Smiths songs have the same number of hits as Beyonce, yet Beyonce is promoted hourly on every Selfridge’s escalator, yet the Smiths have never had any form of promotion whatsoever.
Also, there was a weekly momentum with the Smiths that cannot happen now … every Thursday brought some vibrant Smiths news, and every three months there would be a new 7-inch in Woolworths and Our Price … it was a very British way of doing things and people really enjoyed it. Suddenly Smiths’ graffiti appeared on Coronation Street … but that edge-of-seat way of following a band doesn’t happen now because radio and charts were handed over exclusively to techno dance music.
For me to have moved along with ‘Viva Hate,’ ‘Bona Drag,’ ‘Your Arsenal,’ ‘You Are The Quarry,’ ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors,’ ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business,’ and others … well, who could be happier?"

FWD.

I'm reading a new book by Cory Doctorow called The Internet Con - https://www.npr.org/2024/01/19/1197956508/cory-doctorow

Surprisingly he describes in depth the various changes the recording and related industries have gone through, especially in terms of contestation over which parties should benefit most, from sheet music through 'phonograph' companies, the radio and to streaming services. He keeps his eye on cases taken in different parts of the world, laws passed with global intellectual property monopoly implications, and characters involved (As happens too often for it to be coincidence, Bill Gates doesn't come out of it looking good) I recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest in how music is controlled and priced.

In July 2022 the Smiths had 9,673,475.
But that's a huge rise in 1 year for the Smiths ! + 50% on spotify
How can this be explained ?
Did they receive more exposure with a song included in the soundtrack of a Tv serie or a film ?

Best of?

Must be Johnny's great stewardship of the Smiths' legacy
He has been everywhere, he talks about the Smiths, he plays Smiths songs. he's released a book, so many projects
While Morrissey posts nonsense to Central, cancels tours and has shit setlists

Last edited:
Must be Johnny's great stewardship of the Smiths' legacy
He has been everywhere, he talks about the Smiths, he plays Smiths songs. he's released a book, so many projects
While Morrissey posts nonsense to Central, cancels tours and has shit setlists
I doubt it has much to do with Johnny. Most people that are listening to THE SMITH don't even know who he is. My daughter found The smiths on Tiktok. She knows who Morrissey is but has no idea about Marr.
You are right that Marr is a great stward of the legacy, but sadly it doesn't matter much.

You are also correct on Morrissey. I personaly have never seen any artist blow up their own career like Morrissey. If Morrissey played 1.5 hours shows, showed up, and played is Best songs (not the one he thinks are best), The Smiths and Morrissey would be considered one of the greatest bands ever and be as popular as U2. Problem is Morrissey couldn't give a shit about his fans and would rather complains about his legacy than actually build it. Suck, both those are facts....

You’re wrong about SEB. There is a recent revival of Murder on the Dancefloor due to Saltburn but she’s been gaining popularity since Kitchen Disco during lockdown and does various podcasts, writes book etc. She’s popular whether you have heard her or not!

Ultimately popular music will end. That must be obvious to almost anybody. I think the ashes are already about us, if we could but notice them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom