Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
It's criminal that Ordinary Boys was removed from the reissue.
700% agree.

Hairdresser on Fire is on Viva Hate? Omg I'm so khfihchicgkkdhkdkgxkhcgk
🥲

The original Sire records release

Alsatian Cousin bleeding over into Little Man What Now is so so so so so so so satisfying.
Bengali in Platforms is my jam though.
Alsatian Cousin fading into Little Man What Now is the best bit of the whole album. I don't mean that in a bad way. The album should have been in the Top 10 for that alone.

This is solo at its best. Nerds being nerdy over music/Morrissey. 🙏🏻

I honestly would love to own them all.. this one is a single? I've never heard this song either!!

Nah. It’s same as the EMI British Viva Hate pressing, but a different title went into pressing in Australia & New Zealand only. Morrissey changed his mind/the pressing plants weren’t notified in time.

As I said some post above, go for the original Sire release. Same as the EMI release + Hairdresser.

While we’re nerding out here .. where is this version from, or is this a mash up?

it sounds fuller, which is nice.

WTF? No Gary Numan? What a SHIT list.
Telekon should have been somewhere, i noticed John Foxx's Metamatic is quite high, finally getting recognition.
But sadly Acton when they think of Numan its his stuff from 1979 which doesn't count for this list.

While we’re nerding out here .. where is this version from, or is this a mash up?

it sounds fuller, which is nice.

Viva Hate outakes.
One of several versions lurking in downloads section.
Regards,
FWD.

Good to see they've finally managed to listen to Closer over the past 40 years rather than just always praising Unknown Pleasures. Both astounding albums but Closer is superior. And obviously UP couldn't be on this list anyway.

Irritating that M isn't on the list. He deserves it more than some of the tripe they have included. But lists are subjective. They say it's been democratically voted but it still doesn't matter it's all just opinions. Noone is ever going to agree.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom