Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick Astley has been sitting in for Gary Davies on BBC Radio 2 today, and about 22 minutes in, he gushed about The Smiths, and then played a medley of Smiths tunes for the next 15 minutes or so.

What?! Nothing from Viva Hate?! What’s wrong with these people?!

3,7, 9 and 10

1, 3, 4, 7 and 10.

I’ve been sort of meaning to give Talk Talk a try. Is Spirit of Eden the one to start with?

I recommend to start with The Colour of Spring

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full
Depeche Mode is #179....and sells out stadiums around the world..obviously based on some blokes personal opinion. Which means nothing.

What about being happy about the Smiths getting what they deserve? Why aren`t there any fans of David Byrne`s complaining that none of his solo-albums appears on the list?
yep under a blood red sky is fantastic,i played that to death,there was a concert at red rocks which went with it,that was u2 at their very best.
my favourite album of the 80s was Japans Tin Drum,so good at capturing that asian drum sound.
didnt even think there was 500 great albums in the 80s,you had a great period from 80 to 86 then stock aitken waterman literally ruined the decade with some right mince polluting the charts to end the decade.
That`s exactly what I felt and as the Joshua Tree was celebrated all over the world I thought something must be wrong with me. Thank you!!!!!!

What about being happy about the Smiths getting what they deserve? Why aren`t there any fans of David Byrne`s complaining that none of his solo-albums appears on the list?
Maybe because this is a Morrissey fan site. And Viva Hate means a lot to fans of his. Just saying.

The Smiths have 7 albums in this list, the only other acts who match this are Elvis Costello and Felt (both also with 7). People can hardly accuse that Morrissey is under-represented here, Viva Hate notwithstanding...

I love Little Man What Now. It's one of my favourite tracks on the album. There is something so dark and apocalyptic about how it sounds - set against the triviality of celebrity and fame. Amazing track.

One of my Morrissey favorites! The way it sounds is amazing. It sounds like nothing else in his catalog...but many of his songs are that way. Hence why he's akin to Bowie and Lou Reed, always has been.

700% agree.

The original Sire records release

Yep, that's the one I own.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom