The Smiths Top 10 Marmite on MSN

My god. People who think The Smiths are depressing are just the lowest of the low, mentally speaking. They probably base their opinion on a quick scan of the title of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', not bothering to actually pay attention to the lyrics and detect the humour in them, even with the chirpy musical accompaniment given them a helpful shove in that direction. Granted, there's plenty of melancholy in The Smiths' music and lyrics, but it's only depressing to those completely averse to self-reflection, or simply don't look to music to be moved or affected in any way. Then there's obviously the fact that many of Marr's compositions are among the most buoyant and life-affirming in the history of the recorded song. But still to some people they live and die by the title of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' and a few, out of context lyrical snippets. And I realise that I'm preaching to the choir here, but it bears repeating.

How can you possibly say no to Johnny Marr's guitar riffs and Andy Rouke's Bass lines too?

Andy Rourke should get a lot more recognition. He's too easily dismissed by most people and just gets lumped in with Joyce.

I saw this through the strange/unexpected Moz references thread earlier - interesting find!
And for the record, I'm pro-Marmite. ;)

I think that's actually one of my favourite things about the music and the whole culture built around it: it's powerful enough to polarise opinion.

Exactly - I vaguely recall Morrissey himself even saying something to that effect once in an old interview (heaven only knows when/where though...). I think it's a sign of a truly great and influential band to be able to evoke such powerful responses, even if they're not all positive. It's the "well, they're okay I guess" bands that end up forgotten once they disband (if not earlier!).

What seems depressing and morose to some people is absolute genius and comfort to us.

This is what I've spent ages trying to explain to my own mother... *sigh*

See Jesse.

See Jesse's guitar

See Jesse murder This Charming Man

:laughing: Brilliant! This needs to be published as a children's book, pronto. :D

Back
Top Bottom