Tobias Thoughts...

If ROTT had all been along the lines of Pigsty and Dear God it would have been absolutely amazing. That's the direction Moz needs to go in. More orchestration and dynamics. The likes of In the Future are b-side quality at best and are just MOR pub rock. A lot of the tracks could have quite easily have sat on Maladjusted. It's Alain all the way as the main songwriter and hopefully someone from the moz camp will read this.

Interesting that Jesse wrote If you don't like me... as this is a favourite from this year. You Have Killed me is also great so to be fair I'm not totally dismissive of Jesse's talent as there's no doubt about his playing live.

I fully disagree. Just like Boz dominated Vauxhall even though Alain wrote a few good ones, Jesse dominates Ringleader despite Alain writing a couple good ones. Jesse is a great live guitarist, true, but his songwriting talents should be belittled here. He has a very unique style, and within that unique style he has songs that are unique from one another. They are cohesive together, but there so many little touches and nuances that create this grand sense of originality and complexity and make each one of his songs very special.

Who's this "good source" then?

I hope he sticks with the more rocky tunes, I'm not too fond of Dear God and Pigsty.

Last edited:
Moz really seemed to like having Jesse around as a song writter he called him his "muse", I'd be suprised if he didn't have him around to write a few songs

True Moz did call him his muse. But from what I have heard, there is a lot of pressure given the album sales levels...

Apparently, and trust me I did not talk directly to Moz, he is considering bringing a more well known writing partner. Alain is not able to carry the load now, and Boz does not have the tunes (at least at the mo).

Who will it be? Only Moz knows, but my source has claimed names that Boz has mentioned include: Billy Duffy, Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher. Not for touring but simply for writing....Jesse is staying around for any future touring apparently...

He's a very limited songwriter. Almost all of his guitar parts on ROTT are bog standard 4:4 rock. It gets old very quickly- there's no novelty there at all and only occasionally much of a hook. He had a half decent hit with You Have Killed Me but even that wore out quickly, sounds stolid live and is hardly likely (IMHO) to be remembered as a Morrissey classic. And that's the lead off single from the album.

As far as his live playing goes, yes he's tight enough. That said, in any town Morrissey plays in, there'd be a guitar player more than capable of delivering the same quality of performance so this is hardly justification for his inclusion as integral part of the band.

Overall, he doesn't bring much to the table at all for me and I'd be glad to see the back of him.

If ROTT had all been along the lines of Pigsty and Dear God it would have been absolutely amazing. That's the direction Moz needs to go in. More orchestration and dynamics. The likes of In the Future are b-side quality at best and are just MOR pub rock. A lot of the tracks could have quite easily have sat on Maladjusted. It's Alain all the way as the main songwriter and hopefully someone from the moz camp will read this.

Interesting that Jesse wrote If you don't like me... as this is a favourite from this year. You Have Killed me is also great so to be fair I'm not totally dismissive of Jesse's talent as there's no doubt about his playing live.

Agree entirely. Morrissey lends himself so well to the gentler, orchestrated, operatic stylings of those two tracks, and I wanted more in the same vein. While I don't rate Pigsty as highly as everyone else, Dear God is divine and one of the most emotionally engaging songs Morrissey has ever recorded as a solo artist. In my view, Ringleader would have been a true masterpiece had it been a proper concept album about Rome and sexual liberation.

When did Morrissey call Jesse his "muse"? I don't recall that and it certainly doesn't sound like the sort of thing Morrissey says. I've never heard him call anyone his "muse".

When did Morrissey call Jesse his "muse"? I don't recall that and it certainly doesn't sound like the sort of thing Morrissey says. I've never heard him call anyone his "muse".

I did hear him say that - I'm sure this was either the Johnathan Ross interview or Jools Holland wasn't it?

To me this is very simple.

Jesse is obviously the better live guitarist just look at how tight the band is now.

I've seen Alain make waaaayyy to many cock-ups live, never more obvious than the Saturday Night Live version of 'Glamorous Glue'

However as recently shown Alain is still the studio MASTER easily producing the better toones than Jesse or Boz.

I say keep Jesse for touring and keep Alain cranking out the stuff in the studio.

As Moz himself once famously declared "I Can Have Both"

Who ever knew he was talking about guitarists??

Back
Top Bottom