Children's sexuality

What do you think about children masturbating themselves?

• Total voters
My line is, "I can see that you're touching your private parts. Sometimes that feels good to do, but it's something we do in private. If you want to keep doing that, you can go to your room, or the bathroom, but if you stay down here with us, you have to stop for now. OK?" I obviously don't introduce the idea that it's also very nice to do that with other people, not at the ages we're talking about. But I'm very careful not to condemn it.

I'm very matter of fact about all these things, it's worked well so far.

Can I nick that line for future reference? :)

@Ready-With: Really all children do it yet most of us don't remember doing it as a child. It's a very natural step in our development, such as being potty-trained. You don't remember the first time you pooped in the potty, right? :)

Why is masturbating wrong, Ready-Wit?

Some people think it should be encouraged:

An Oslo pre-school teacher, backed by child psychologists, has suggested that kindergarten children be encouraged to “express” their sexuality through “sex-play” and games, including dancing naked and masturbating, in pre-school and day-care centres.

The English language edition of Norway’s Aftenposten newspaper reports that Pia Friis, the respected operator of an Oslo kindergarten, told an interviewer that children should be able “to look at each other and examine each other's bodies. They can play doctor, play mother and father, dance naked and masturbate”.

“But their sexuality must also be socialized, so they are not, for example, allowed to masturbate while sitting and eating. Nor can they be allowed to pressure other children into doing things they don't want to,” Friis said.

Friis also faulted some staff of day-care centres and kindergartens who, she said, might react negatively to children expressing their sexuality. “When the personnel are uncertain, that passes on to the children, and it can be negative.”

Friis’ opinion was backed up by Norwegian child psychologist Thore Langfeldt, who said, “Children must learn about sexuality, otherwise things can go very wrong.”

“Children can't object to something they don't know about, and children can more easily and readily report assaults if they already are aware of their own sexuality.”

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/oct/07101704.html

That's really odd. What are they, three? They can't even masturbate-they don't need to do it or be comfortable with others nudity. Perhaps being comfortable with it at such an early age would be damaging as it might make it harder to understand why it's wrong for their uncle to be naked with them or whatever! Does anyone on here agree with this woman?

I have a lot to say about this subject but, perhaps unbelievably, I'm going to keep it to myself this time. Carry on.

That's not fair! :tears:

Don't share your personal information if you're uncomfortable with it, just share your views.

That's really odd. What are they, three? They can't even masturbate-they don't need to do it or be comfortable with others nudity. Perhaps being comfortable with it at such an early age would be damaging as it might make it harder to understand why it's wrong for their uncle to be naked with them or whatever! Does anyone on here agree with this woman?

I'm thinking that I agree with her. However... That's how children should be raised in a perfect world. For now, people are so neurotic about sexuality and their bodies that this kind of upbringing may cause cognitive dissonance in children and they'll be clueless about what's right and wrong and how they should behave. Kind of like when parents don't hold a united front and forbid different things to the child.

But then, you have to start somewhere.

So I really can't decide.

I did this when I was a kid (pre-K) but never really publicly, so it never became a problem. i can see why a parent might get uncomfortable, especially if they're doing it at school or the mall or something. I wouldn't know what to do.

This is nothing to do with what you said but OMGZ you like Suicidal Tendencies. :sweet:

I'm thinking that I agree with her. However... That's how children should be raised in a perfect world. For now, people are so neurotic about sexuality and their bodies that this kind of upbringing may cause cognitive dissonance in children and they'll be clueless about what's right and wrong and how they should behave. Kind of like when parents don't hold a united front and forbid different things to the child.

I don't agree, I'm not sure that is actually good for the child, especially because different families have different approaches to sex and nudity. It might give some pervs a perfect opportunity to look at naked children though, eww. :sick: Plus, you raise a child to live in our society not in a "perfect" world.

I've had erotic thoughts since I was 2 or 3.

So have I and that is perfectly normal. It doesn't mean that you went around touching yourself anytime, anywhere.

This is nothing to do with what you said but OMGZ you like Suicidal Tendencies. :sweet:

haha, I do indeed! My favourite is Fascist Pigs, what's yours?:p Apparently, they have a new album coming out that is untitled!

That's not fair! :tears:

Don't share your personal information if you're uncomfortable with it, just share your views.

Hmm, okay! But should a teacher really be putting it upon the child? It just sounds so terribly odd asking three year olds to masturbate... they don't really need to do that, especially not since they get nothing from it on the top, from what we can see!

Why is masturbating wrong, Ready-Wit?

Well, I can go on forever on this matter but in short, it promotes self-love. It creates selfishness. To me, when it comes to inward love, anything more than confidence creates a weakness.

Plus, it's gross! :sick:

And I can be more specific if'd like but I think you get what I am trying to convey. :cool:

Well, I can go on forever on this matter but in short, it promotes self-love. It creates selfishness. To me, when it comes to inward love, anything more than confidence creates a weakness.

Plus, it's gross! :sick:

And I can be more specific if'd like but I think you get what I am trying to convey. :cool:

I really don't see how it would create selfishness. And how it this any more "gross" than what happens between 2 persons?

I really don't see how it would create selfishness. And how it this any more "gross" than what happens between 2 persons?

Sex is good. Sex is natural. Sex is love.

Masturbation is selflove. Who needs that? :rolleyes:

Hey, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom