Mike Joyce talks about Morrissey at Horse & Jockey - Chips of Chorlton podcast

https://audioboom.com/channels/4957234

Additional information posted by Zoinks in the comments:

Thanks for posting! Most of the interesting stuff comes at the end of part 2. But Mike speaks warmly of the other Smiths throughout.

Some revealing comments about Morrissey. Mike says he still loves Morrissey. He said he was part of the protective ring around him as were the other members of the band, because he seemed so vulnerable - he said his family protects him now.

Mike saw him in a computer shop 2 - 3 years ago, Moz was at the counter with his mother's computer and Mike was behind him, but was pulled away before Moz saw him.

He hopes Morrissey doesn't mean to be racist, that he is being misunderstood. Although I don't know how he thinks endorsing a far right political party could be misunderstood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how things turn out, Johnny, Andy and Mike might not have the wealth that that Morrissey has achieved but they are idolised in Manchester, whereas Morrissey would be twatted within 5 mins of exiting Piccadilly station.

I know what you mean, but I took it as he was just a little carried away with the storytelling of it, in front of a bunch of blokes, and wanted to ramp up the drama a bit.
I guess. I don't know if that makes it better or worse though. like, is it okay to act like a bully when you have an audience so long as in private you're a perfectly nice person?

Funny how things turn out, Johnny, Andy and Mike might not have the wealth that that Morrissey has achieved but they are idolised in Manchester, whereas Morrissey would be twatted within 5 mins of exiting Piccadilly station.

So few would believe that.

I noticed he also brought up the far right thing, and seemingly not without a little relish. I guess he just wanted to put it out there in case there was anyone who hadn't heard about it or who needed reminding, all done of course under the guise of defending Morrissey.

Joyce seems to be one of those typical serial liars who think they are very smart because they asume people believe the lies they tell them. Well, no. People are not being sympathetic with lies, they just smile thinking how far some people go just to produce a lie, and they laugh because laughs are the expected conduct in front of a clown.

In two different recent interviews with Johnny Marr, I've heard him confronted with quotes from Mike Joyce. One was about Johnny's guitars and one was about the end of the Smiths. Both times Johnny responded with a variation of "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Why would Morrissey be exiting Piccadilly Station??, Why would someone worth in excess of 30 million get a train? The shit on here is first class, :rofl:

In two different recent interviews with Johnny Marr, I've heard him confronted with quotes from Mike Joyce. One was about Johnny's guitars and one was about the end of the Smiths. Both times Johnny responded with a variation of "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

:cool:
Chalk one up for DramaJ:clap:
LWM Mike cant
drum on the beat, sound man had to use the click clack device behind him to keep him on beat:

Easy-Bottle-Top-Click-Clack-Toys-make-your-own-Musical-Instruments-300x200.png

Seeing old mates from the past is a strange feeling and sometimes like an out of body experience but never in a good way. No matter how much time has passed people return to the person they were in relation to the others at the time which is why school reunions is such an awful experience, not that I ever attended one.
I feel like 12 again whenever I see the first girl I kissed who is now a nurse who looks like her mother did.

Thanks for posting! Most of the interesting stuff comes at the end of part 2. But Mike speaks warmly of the other Smiths throughout.

Some revealing comments about Morrissey. Mike says he still loves Morrissey. He said he was part of the protective ring around him as were the other members of the band, because he seemed so vulnerable - he said his family protects him now.

Mike saw him in a computer shop 2 - 3 years ago, Moz was at the counter with his mother's computer and Mike was behind him, but was pulled away before Moz saw him.

He hopes Morrissey doesn't mean to be racist, that he is being misunderstood. Although I don't know how he thinks endorsing a far right political party could be misunderstood.
If they are far right what about the real far right?
Some people need to shut up and die!

I'm surprised at what a marble mouth ald Mike is. It's like English is his second language. You would think he would have better blarney being Irish. He seems to be modest about his drumming skills. That's sweet but he is still my personal favorite.

Mike J had pretty titties like Joe Dallesandro. That meant a lot to me in 83. I'm sorry. No I'm not.

I'm not sure where all the dust settles, but the combination of the music and Morrissey's voice and lyrics made The Smiths. Whether Headmaster Ritual or any other Smith's song nothing felt forced, and it was always a very organic blend of music and Morrissey's vocals.

The interplay between guitar, and bass, and drums, and vocals were all equally valuable and integral in the sound of The Smiths. You can listen to their songs over and over again and focus on any one of these and be truly entertained.

Mike allways talks respectfull abouut Morrissey though I'm glad someone pushed him away at the pc shop when Mike saw Morrissey and his mother. Morrissey would walk out the store without giving him an eye , but Morrissey mum, that's a different story, she would certainly had commented about Mike wanting via court to get BeachMount, and Jackie's[ her daughter, Morrissey sister] house...good Mike pulled back on that, but Morrissey's mum would definately say something about Mike's UK actions to get his money from her son Steven.

Mike allways talks respectfull abouut Morrissey though I'm glad someone pushed him away at the pc shop when Mike saw Morrissey and his mother. Morrissey would walk out the store without giving him an eye , but Morrissey mum, that's a different story, she would certainly had commented about Mike wanting via court to get BeachMount, and Jackie's[ her daughter, Morrissey sister] house...good Mike pulled back on that, but Morrissey's mum would definately say something about Mike's UK actions to get his money from her son Steven.
His mother wasn't there. It was Morrissey and her computer, which he had brought in to be fixed.

You dont ruthlessly sue somebody you love for money you havent earned.

He doesnt love Morrissey. Hes just chasing more unearned money by playing the misunderstod Smith. Trying to worm back into a reunion that wont happen.

The story is pathetic. How did he know whose computer it was? Who pulled him away and why? Who cares?

Andy Rourke used heroin aka "Mr Brownstone" because of Mike Joyce's awful offbeat drumming. Andy Rourke listened to too much of Mike Joyce's awful offbeat drumming and Andy Rourke would use heroin aka "Mr Brownstone" to numb the pain.

Seeing old mates from the past is a strange feeling and sometimes like an out of body experience but never in a good way. No matter how much time has passed people return to the person they were in relation to the others at the time which is why school reunions is such an awful experience, not that I ever attended one.
I feel like 12 again whenever I see the first girl I kissed who is now a nurse who looks like her mother did.
If I see anybody in the town I know, I like to keep it simple,hello,how are you and goodbye,saves any of the old talking crap.

Back
Top Bottom