New Statement from Morrissey on True To You

You know what? I think he's a good friend and wanted to drop by TTY to give it the breath of life, once again.

I like Worm's analysis the best, as far as real life stuff goes. :thumb: I couldn't read it last night because after I hit post my brain explodes a little bit and I have to lie down.

Sissy face is a fantastic writer and detective. (I loved choose your own adventure stories as a kid. :p)

I feel that I need to come clean, my Morrissey supporting chums. Yes, it was me who "planted" the postcard on Rourkey's car. How was I to know it would backfire spectacularly and cause the big boss sleepless nights 20 years on..... oh the guilt.

I feel that I need to come clean, my Morrissey supporting chums. Yes, it was me who "planted" the postcard on Rourkey's car. How was I to know it would backfire spectacularly and cause the big boss sleepless nights 20 years on..... oh the guilt.

Wow. I definitely lacked the wit to figure this one out. :(

I like Worm's analysis the best, as far as real life stuff goes. :thumb: I couldn't read it last night because after I hit post my brain explodes a little bit and I have to lie down.

Sissy face is a fantastic writer and detective. (I loved choose your own adventure stories as a kid. :p)

Well, like I said, it was the obvious play. I don't think it would've been possible for Johnny to go with the best option: recruit Mr. T to show up on Andy's doorstep, put him in a good, tough headlock, and convince him to Just Say No. Mr. T was busy with one of his bitches:

wtf_pics-nancy-reagan.jpg

hmm how complex... however, worm, it seems you might be onto something.

I still think this note isn't such a wretched and horrible thing. Talking to addicts doesn't work. Whoever did it - the end result was probably a good wake up call for Rourke. I hate trying to reason with addicts. Better to let him absorb it alone and reflect without having him defend himself (lie and beg) to his friends. He has nobody to turn to or blame but himself.

f***ing heroin... I HATE HEROIN. It has destroyed one of my favorite people as close as a little brother to me.

Desperate situations call for desperate means so if this is what Johnny or whoever had to do... well hell maybe it made sense at the time. Plus wasn't everyone in their 20s?

If it bothers Morrissey - well now Moz has made it clear and Andy should just drop it, never speak of it again, and say "I do not recall" just like he did in court (which probably wasn't such a bad way to deal with that horrible situation.)

Its a damn shame that Moz can't personally call Andy and discuss this but rather Andy will probably get wind of what Moz just said through some interviewer or from a friend who reads TTY... a damn shame. These people shared so much and they were so young and all this nonsense is total crap... enough already! Be grateful for the times you shared and music you shared and creativity and a unique shared journey. I mean GEEZ.

Now all this other nonsense about people pretending to be one another - the only reason it might be true is because they were all very young at the time, and going through a whirlwind of intense experience in so many many ways, weren't they? No adult would really deal with the situation this way... but were they experienced and mature people at that time?

Moz is mature now... wtf just call your old band and figure out the truth and write a book if you want to set the legacy straight.

Still it seems to me they did a pretty good job despite these little details... and even the lawsuits and whatnot - they are all still alive and pretty healthy it seems. That's much more than many other legendary groups managed.

I just don't understand why the hell any of it really matters to Moz and why he has to go through a weird channel to contest this rather than just call him up. I mean its all pretty dumb.

Last edited:
Its a damn shame that Moz can't personally call Andy and discuss this but rather Andy will probably get wind of what Moz just said through some interviewer or from a friend who reads TTY... a damn shame. These people shared so much and they were so young and all this nonsense is total crap... enough already! Be grateful for the times you shared and music you shared and creativity and a unique shared journey. I mean GEEZ.

Now all this other nonsense about people pretending to be one another - the only reason it might be true is because they were all very young at the time, and going through a whirlwind of intense experience in so many many ways, weren't they? No adult would really deal with the situation this way... but were they experienced and mature people at that time?

You're right, it's a shame about all the crap they had to deal with. The lies and innuendoes, the secret meetings, the lawyers, the accountants, the million and one political battles they had to fight within and without the group. They were young, and the experience was intense.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I'd like to point out, gingerly and with an admission that I don't know what really went on back then, that there is a person who would normally handle most, if not all, of those problems. That person is called a manager, and it may not be a simple case of bad luck that The Smiths didn't have one... :rolleyes:

honestly, I always found the post-card story to be endearing a weird sort of way :blushing:
it was like an 80s version of "text message break up" :p

"YOU CAN'T TEXT MESSAGE BREAKUP! :mad:" :guitar:

:lbf:

you really see it that way? :o
because there are other ways to see things you know :straightface:
I mean, the story is likely a lie invented by Andy and some reporter
but the truth, to me, is that I believe Morrissey to be someone that fears confrontation of any type, and so he would have a hard time "firing" anybody
(hence some of the terrible hangers on still around him maybe even now :eek:)
regardless, I never thought ill of Morrissey in any way, no matter the way Andy was let go or not

I entirely agree with what you said there, Robby.

I feel the 'postcard' story may have a grain of truth-albeit a very small one- but is probably one of those half-whispered rumours that gets out of hand.

Regardless, if I were Morrissey (providing it's not completely true) I would probably feel the need to defend myself and rant a bit too. It does seem rather unfair that the story has been banded about so much- it's one of those things that is very very difficult to work out. Only Moz and Andy will ever know for sure, when all's said and done.

"YOU CAN'T TEXT MESSAGE BREAKUP! :mad:" :guitar:

:lbf:

I entirely agree with what you said there, Robby.

I feel the 'postcard' story may have a grain of truth-albeit a very small one- but is probably one of those half-whispered rumours that gets out of hand.

Regardless, if I were Morrissey (providing it's not completely true) I would probably feel the need to defend myself and rant a bit too. It does seem rather unfair that the story has been banded about so much- it's one of those things that is very very difficult to work out. Only Moz and Andy will ever know for sure, when all's said and done.

Moz is right, if someone keeps saying something which is not true than the truth has to come out otherwise most people , and i am one of those, will always believe in something which is incorrect.
Cheers Moz

I just don't understand why the hell any of it really matters to Moz and why he has to go through a weird channel to contest this rather than just call him up. I mean its all pretty dumb.

I know a lot of people on here don't believe me and I can't say that I blame you since I sometimes get all Roberta Langdony on here, but in Morrissey's defense, I really don't think he's a whiney bitch who has to air his private matters on Julia's site. It was like a test, a way to communicate stuff to people he's not supposed to contact (total bullshit IMO.) So in a way he sacrificed civility to became a bitchy scapegoat, but it's not really like that, I don't think. He was just pointing out a repetition.

I really don't think he's a whiney bitch

Neither do I. I would never call Morrissey that... no matter what substance you poured down my throat... I don't think I even COULD say that.

I also never thought it possible that someone would feel they had to "defend" Moz to me... my oh my!

It just sucks that they can't move on and be grateful and loving toward existence and one another for the shared experience... to move on. Moz draws more attention to this incident by speaking of it publicly. If he could just call andy and be like "hey I don't really recall things that way..." meet up for a pint... and discuss it. Then maybe they could work it out in a better way... thats all. but at this point the animosity and old feelings and anger - this story is old, but it drags on.... and on... and on...

PS... edit... I just saw Beatles Rock band and I think we need a smiths one.

Last edited:
PS... edit... I just saw Beatles Rock band and I think we need a smiths one.

Ew, no. It began with the Sex Pistols selling out to it. Now the Beatles. We do not need the Smiths to do the same. If it ever WOULD happen, it would be after Moz and Marr are both in the ground. Because heaven knows I'd lose an immense amount of respect for them for selling out to Rock Band. I abhor it so..:blushing:

Ew, no. It began with the Sex Pistols selling out to it. Now the Beatles. We do not need the Smiths to do the same. If it ever WOULD happen, it would be after Moz and Marr are both in the ground. Because heaven knows I'd lose an immense amount of respect for them for selling out to Rock Band. I abhor it so..:blushing:

hahah... I don't think it ever will or really should happen. I was just imagining rocking out in 3d. Maybe just a limited edition one passed around on the most underground of sites. I basically have it in my bathroom using the hairbrush as a mic anyways.

And I think the Beatles are beyond the sellout status. They are so massive that I don't think that they even can "sell out" - they were just some kind of social phenomenon - to me at least.

I don't even have wii... but I think i will buy this for my nephew... and then go over and try it while babysitting him. we will rock out together... me and a 6 year old doing within without you.

Last edited:
Morrissey used the word "confirms" in his statement, rather than something like 'asserts', which is interesting. Morrissey should start using emoticons, because he might have rolled his eyes at that point.

It is a recurring comment whereby Andy confirms :rolleyes: that his dismissal from the Smiths was made via a handwritten postcard from me telling Andy "you have left the Smiths." :straightface:

Morrissey used the word "confirms" in his statement, rather than something like 'asserts', which is interesting. Morrissey should start using emoticons, because he might have rolled his eyes at that point.

It is a recurring comment whereby Andy confirms :rolleyes: that his dismissal from the Smiths was made via a handwritten postcard from me telling Andy "you have left the Smiths." :straightface:

I think Morrissey was being as generous, open-minded, diplomatic, and (as) patient (as he could manage) - acknowledging that Andy isn't the one who brings it up all the time... It was the journalist who asserted, and Andy who confirmed.

It shows that Morrissey is being very careful (if posting on a public website can be considered careful) dealing with the situation; reading carefully, considering carefully - not making any assumptions or false accusations. He is choosing his words with a specific response to the facts and statements in the article. If he said Andy asserted, he would be lying... Rourke didn't assert. And what about the origin of this story? Is Andy the one who first asserted the story - or did he confirm it from the beginning?

It's a smart and careful (if not caring) thing to do considering he is "naturally irked" that Andy apparently is confirming assumptions or false accusations of his own. And when I say it is careful and caring - well that is - all things considered.

Last edited:
We're going to have a clearing of the decks. The first shots before the book comes out, and will include the follwing extraordinary revelations:

1) He has a secret child
2) His real name is Gerald
3) He secretly loves a growler and gravy
4) He thinks all cats are bastards
5) He's best mates with David Tseng

Peter

Disclaimer - none of the above may be true.

nearly spat my coffee at the screen there Peter :guffaw:

Tags
echobabe team moz
Back
Top Bottom