Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Lists? Whatever.

Though, we gotta admit, a lot of amazing music in the 80’s. Sadly not so much in 2000 to today.

Obviously Uncut is trying to cut Morrissey out of the picture.

As FWD has pointed out from Uncut’s recent live Marr review….

"Morrissey's later-life trajectory has unquestionably impacted some people's relationships to the band, leaving Marr as the benevolent custodian of their songs."

To then add a tag line quote re: Marr review:
"an artist who still represents something pure and beautiful."

De la Scour in the top 10? Computer World is great but there's no way it's ahead of Radioactivity or Autobahn or TEE or Man Machine.

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full
Hounds of Love is so f***ing good though. I love Kate.

De la Scour in the top 10? Computer World is great but there's no way it's ahead of Radioactivity or Autobahn or TEE or Man Machine.

It’s just albums from the 80’s.

I’d put Public Enemy’s It Takes A Nation before De La Soul, in regards to hip hop. Yeah, there’s many albums I thought should have ranked higher.

Viva Hate should have at least been in the top
20-25.

Morrissey’s gonna blow a gasket, that’s if he hasn’t run out of them.

And The Smiths – The World Won’t Listen
is on it, but not Louder Than Bombs? Wacky.

Last edited:
It’s just albums from the 80’s.

I’d put Public Enemy’s It Takes A Nation before De La Soul, in regards to hip hop. Yeah, there’s many albums I thought should have ranked higher.

Viva Hate should have at least been in the top
20-25.
I think this is further proof of deleting him from everything.
My other half buys the Now yearbook vinyls and CDs, in 1988 both Suedehead and Sunday were on Now compilations, both big hits, but on the 1988 yearbook vinyls and cds, nothing, and far less well known tunes are included.
On earlier yearbooks they include The Smiths no problem.
But its Morrissey, no one can be seen to be including him or complimenting him, wether you think this is his own fault or otherwise, i dont think its right, the last person in music this happened to was child abuser Glitter. Quite rightly so too.
But now this happens all the time for what, expressing your right to free speech?
Arseholes.

500 is an insane amount of albums. And still no Viva Hate? It reeks of subjectivity gone haywire.

Also, nothing by a-ha. Their first two albums are quintessential 80s pop. Huge successes as well. Crazy to ignore them.

I think this is further proof of deleting him from everything.
My other half buys the Now yearbook vinyls and CDs, in 1988 both Suedehead and Sunday were on Now compilations, both big hits, but on the 1988 yearbook vinyls and cds, nothing, and far less well known tunes are included.
On earlier yearbooks they include The Smiths no problem.
But its Morrissey, no one can be seen to be including him or complimenting him, wether you think this is his own fault or otherwise, i dont think its right, the last person in music this happened to was child abuser Glitter. Quite rightly so too.
But now this happens all the time for what, expressing your right to free speech?
Arseholes.

(y)

But supposedly Morrissey is not being canceled, that he’s imagining things, paranoid, etc… according to some on here.

Viva hate? Suedehead and Everyday... ok, but with songs like I dont mind..., little man what now, ordinary boys... No way.

Hatful of Hollow isn't a record, it's a compilation. And Viva Hate not making the list is lunacy..

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom