why does moz treat his fans like shite ? - discuss (or blindly defend)

Hey I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else. U2 is very fan oriented. They always stop for pictures, autographs, chat. And they dont cancel shows. If they did they would feel terrible, definitely issue an apology and probably do something to make it up to them. Says alot about one's character.

Go ahead and talk all the shit you want about em, but an artist would not be successful if it werent for the fans. To constantly act like you dont give a shit about the fans, when they patiently wait for you for hours and then to not even say hello or wave or anything? Great way to pay back the fans that made you what you are today.

Hey I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else. U2 is very fan oriented. They always stop for pictures, autographs, chat. And they dont cancel shows. If they did they would feel terrible, definitely issue an apology and probably do something to make it up to them. Says alot about one's character.

Go ahead and talk all the shit you want about em, but an artist would not be successful if it werent for the fans. To constantly act like you dont give a shit about the fans, when they patiently wait for you for hours and then to not even say hello or wave or anything? Great way to pay back the fans that made you what you are today.

Shame they're crap...

Is this the U2 who are mega millionaires and at the time of their release of their new album were making all sorts of noises about how because of the credit crunch they were going tour much more modestly and cheaply and how the tickets were going to be much more affordable?

Then a couple of months later announced the usual money making megadrome tour that they always do?

That U2?

Is this the U2 who are mega millionaires and at the time of their release of their new album were making all sorts of noises about how because of the credit crunch they were going tour much more modestly and cheaply and how the tickets were going to be much more affordable?

Then a couple of months later announced the usual money making megadrome tour that they always do?

That U2?

A lot of people want to see U2, they have to play big places. But they make sure the standing tix are cheap, subsidised by the seated ones. They put on an amazing show and value their fans. Moz's relationship with his fans is the most important thing to him but he consistently shows lack of guts when it comes to dealing with us when he has let us down. He knows we'll always be there. It's almost like an abusive relationship! He keeps making us cry and we keep going back because when we're with him it feels so good. Bwah!

U2 treat their fans properly, always. But then, it's not their lyrics I have tattooed on me, it's Moz's. And I support Man City. I must be a masochist eh? Maybe we all are.

Fingers crossed for Cambridge.

A lot of people want to see U2, they have to play big places. But they make sure the standing tix are cheap, subsidised by the seated ones. They put on an amazing show and value their fans. Moz's relationship with his fans is the most important thing to him but he consistently shows lack of guts when it comes to dealing with us when he has let us down. He knows we'll always be there. It's almost like an abusive relationship! He keeps making us cry and we keep going back because when we're with him it feels so good. Bwah!

U2 treat their fans properly, always. But then, it's not their lyrics I have tattooed on me, it's Moz's. And I support Man City. I must be a masochist eh? Maybe we all are.

Fingers crossed for Cambridge.

Cheap? I seem to remember £40 is the cheapest price for U2. And for that you get a seat where you can hardly see them. I'm sorry, but you need to find a better example of a band who are "good" to their fans. U2 are just a money making machine.

This is very true, but we're talking about Morrissey, the Great Melancholic. If he were easy-going, well-adjusted and reasonable, he wouldn't be the artist who illuminates those dark places that bands like U2 don't even try to reach. If you want unconditional love, get a lap dog; Morrissey often bites the hand that feeds him.

Moz's relationship with his fans is the most important thing to him but he consistently shows lack of guts when it comes to dealing with us when he has let us down. He knows we'll always be there. It's almost like an abusive relationship! He keeps making us cry and we keep going back because when we're with him it feels so good. Bwah!

U2 treat their fans properly, always. But then, it's not their lyrics I have tattooed on me, it's Moz's.

Exactly - it is often an abusive relationship. Morrissey is a singer, not a lover; we should be grateful that he's at arms length, and take everything in stride.

U2 seem like a nice bunch of guys, and they make nice music. Morrissey is far more complex and difficult to love, but that makes him far more compelling in my book.

Oh, man. When U2 comes up it's like Godwin's Law with respect to Nazi analogies.

It's apples and oranges. U2 is a public institution like the DMV or the Post Office. Dragging them into it (or Springsteen or anyone on that level) makes the discussion nonsensical.

There's also a fallacy in play with these comparisons. An artist putting his heart and soul into making great records is the only sort of "giving back" that fans should worry about. Most of the time these mega-bands have to stop for autographs, provide oodles of merchandise, release "extras", and kiss the media's ass because they secretly know their shitty records aren't enough.

I cut U2 a lot of slack for the excellent albums they made in the mid- to late-80s but these days they fit that description to a T: mediocre albums but great customer service. You're really treated like a king when you spend $500 to listen to 20-year old classics with 65,000 of your closest friends.

Anyway, Morrissey has given his fans far more than most other artists. His cancellations, record-company fiascos, and other stumbles shouldn't obscure that fact. It's still about the music first.

This is very true, but we're talking about Morrissey, the Great Melancholic. If he were easy-going, well-adjusted and reasonable, he wouldn't be the artist who illuminates those dark places that bands like U2 don't even try to reach. If you want unconditional love, get a lap dog; Morrissey often bites the hand that feeds him.

Exactly - it is often an abusive relationship. Morrissey is a singer, not a lover; we should be grateful that he's at arms length, and take everything in stride.

U2 seem like a nice bunch of guys, and they make nice music. Morrissey is far more complex and difficult to love, but that makes him far more compelling in my book.

Oh, man. When U2 comes up it's like Godwin's Law with respect to Nazi analogies.

It's apples and oranges. U2 is a public institution like the DMV or the Post Office. Dragging them into it (or Springsteen or anyone on that level) makes the discussion nonsensical.

There's also a fallacy in play with these comparisons. An artist putting his heart and soul into making great records is the only sort of "giving back" that fans should worry about. Most of the time these mega-bands have to stop for autographs, provide oodles of merchandise, release "extras", and kiss the media's ass because they secretly know their shitty records aren't enough.

I cut U2 a lot of slack for the excellent albums they made in the mid- to late-80s but these days they fit that description to a T: mediocre albums but great customer service. You're really treated like a king when you spend $500 to listen to 20-year old classics with 65,000 of your closest friends.

Anyway, Morrissey has given his fans far more than most other artists. His cancellations, record-company fiascos, and other stumbles shouldn't obscure that fact.
It's still about the music first.

Thanks Anaesthesine and Worm, I totally agree with you.

Tom Cruise also spends some time to shake hands and giving autographs to his fans, but I don't care about his work.

Morrissey has no obligations to be always nice to his fans, he doesn't pretend to be a saint which is fine by me.
Some people say unsavory things about Morrissey, but I still enjoy going to his gigs and listening to his music.

For the musician to meet and greet the fans it should be a privilage and a rarity rather than the expectation.

I used to really like Moby and a few years ago I saw him at the Apollo in Manchester. There were quite a few of us hanging around the stage door afterwards. About an hour after the gig had finished, he came out and said to me "I've just got to put this stuff on the coach, I promise I will be back in a minute yeah?" and he was. Got a photo with him (he had his arm around me, I was so in love!) and he signed some stuff for everyone there.

I really appreciated the time that he had taken- 2 mins at most- to speak to me. Mainly because I went to the gig not ever expecting that I would meet him, so when I did, it was a lovely surprise. For a while afterwards though I was in the mindset that ALL bands were obliged to stop for a chat, which ended putting a dampner on a few really amazing gigs I went to and we didn't get to meet the artist.

Personally I think if Morrissey did a shiny ol' meet n greet at every one of his concerts, I would lose a bit of respect for him. It's almost as if people who do that are acknowlegding their own perceived greatness.

Cheap? I seem to remember £40 is the cheapest price for U2. And for that you get a seat where you can hardly see them. I'm sorry, but you need to find a better example of a band who are "good" to their fans. U2 are just a money making machine.

Last tour I paid $50 for standing tickets and got front row, TWICE. I did not spend $250. Their tickets DO NOT cost $500. You're thinking of Britney Spears. At this point it seems like they are a money making machine because they've been so successful over the last 30 years. They are just as humble and down to earth as they were when they were kids just starting up the band. It's not their fault they're successful.

I see your point.. and I do agree. You're exactly right and I appreciate you voicing your opinion in a rational way. I'm sorry for even bringing it up. The only reason I brought it up is because these are my top two favorite bands, U2 and The Smiths/Moz so I feel differently about certain things between the two artists. I know they are not the same by far, and I do agree with alot of what was said here. My intention is not to start an argument about it but my point was as far as the FANS go, U2 genuinely gives a bigger shit, that's all.

seriously, why do people always bring up U2 when talking about Morrissey for one reason or another? :eek:
to me they are like opposites :cool:

I see your point.. and I do agree. You're exactly right and I appreciate you voicing your opinion in a rational way. I'm sorry for even bringing it up. The only reason I brought it up is because these are my top two favorite bands, U2 and The Smiths/Moz so I feel differently about certain things between the two artists. I know they are not the same by far, and I do agree with alot of what was said here. My intention is not to start an argument about it but my point was as far as the FANS go, U2 genuinely gives a bigger shit, that's all.

Sicy, you're entitled to be a bit frustrated - Morrissey cancelled your first gig. I hope you get to see him live soon; he really is worth all the fuss and bother.

:)

If Morrissey did meet and greets and VIP packages and all that cheesy stuff that career artists do I'd hate it

He gives back in much more subtle ways. And if you can't appreciate the things he does then he's not the artist for you. How many other artists of his stature choose to play venues like Great Yarmouth where by all accounts they haven't bothered to put his name up. Apparently it still says The Chuckle Brothers on the door tonight.

And he does this regularly. Not for some PR purpose so that he can get a report in the papers saying he's played an "exclusive, secret gig" like so many other singers. Think about what he does, not what he doesn't do.

In order to get the Gold you have to get through the Grit.
If Steven Patrick Morrissey was a 'good bloke' who you could go down the pub and have a pint with then I'm afraid that we just wouldn't have had the pop artistry that we've relished for the past 26 years. He's a flake, a freak, a feck-up, a fantasist and a failure. If he were not, he would not be 'Morrissey' ~ pop artist.
Are those the words of a blindly adoring fa(w)n, an excuse for any manner of abominable behaviour ? I don't think so, but how would I know anyway ? If I'm deluded I wouldn't know it. Cos I'm deluded.
I think there is a difference in understanding here between the veteran hoofers amongst us and the newbies. The lifers have come to understand this pay-off between artistry and character, whereas I feel that some of the fans who've come on board post-Quarry fall at the first hurdle exclaiming 'He's a shit!' He may be, but he's also responsible for some of the best nights I've ever had in my life. And I say that as someone who fully expected last Monday night to be added to the list.
The crux of it is this ~ Morrissey is an impossible man. In every sense.
:yum:

Sicy, you're entitled to be a bit frustrated - Morrissey cancelled your first gig. I hope you get to see him live soon; he really is worth all the fuss and bother.

:)

Thanks. I hope I get to see him too. *sigh*

I think you'll find the seated tix miles away are about 80 quid and the standing tix where you get close are 40. They provide content every day for their website and have always treated their fans with respect. In the middle of the Grammys they stopped the show to apologise for a ticketing mess. Last I recall when Moz flounced off stage in a voiceless huff he didn't have the balls to explain and instead sent out Russell Brand to have bottles chucked at him. Well, ok, not him but the other 2 got bottled. He constantly talks of the importance of his fans but plans tours poorly and cancels more shows than any other artist I know of!

The Moby story made me laugh a bit. I'm glad he's good to his fans because he certainly treats everyone who works with him like shit! My cousin toured with him in the USA in the 90s and he was a giant ass to everyone. Just shows, one face for the public... Moz is no fake like that. And I'm grateful. But I wish he would play less shows so his voice doesn't give out because there's only so many times a person can let you down before you stop yourself from being hurt again.

Last edited:
U2 play big stadiums, seats cost £70 and over. why don't they do small theatre.....they are too elitist and grand. Morrissey cares about the fans and can remembers where he came from.

Tags
mozflu reelcool street dundruff
Back
Top Bottom