Have Morrissey's lyrics/songs ever 'helped' you?

And if so, how (if you don't mind sharing, of course :))? I'm always interested to hear this type of story.

PS: I will add the usual disclaimer that accompanies all my threads of this type.

Ahem...

GwtT reserves the right to reply to her own question at any point in the thread after which other posters have joined the discussion.
:p

There are barely any lyircs that Morrissey has written that have not helped me. It happens all the time, again and again.

When I was 14-15, a completely depressed and confused teenager, I bought Hatful of Hollow and it made an impact on me. I remember listening to How soon is now for the very first time, it blew me away. For the very first time in my life someone seemed to understand me. I think without Morrissey and his lyrics I'd be dead by now. :o (I hope this doesn't sound absolutely pathetic)

Yes, they absolutely did and continue to do so. I won't go into all the details of every song, it would take far too long. You Are The Quarry touched me so deeply and personally, it changed me and impacted my life in a very positive way. Morrissey's songs are always there when I need them, like I tell Mr echobay it's cheaper than therapy. :lbf:

Absolutely.

I'm a relatively new Smiths and Morrisey fan, and I'm so glad that I've found some more artists whose music is just like medicine. I go through some pretty horrible spells of depression, and the Smiths' and Morrissey's music have been great company through these trying times.

I can't really think of any specific lyrics, but Strangeways is deeply important to me.

At this point in time, I Know It's Over is also a particularly vital song - You can probably guess why.

Yes, especially the words "oh shall I, oh shall I?".

i just steal lyrics and other little things he has said/does and make myself look real cool. so yeah, he has helped me look cooler than i already am.

There are barely any lyircs that Morrissey has written that have not helped me. It happens all the time, again and again.

When I was 14-15, a completely depressed and confused teenager, I bought Hatful of Hollow and it made an impact on me...

this was also the first smiths record i heard and then bought for myself. changed/ruined my life.:thumb:

I think most of his lyrics helped me. Hearing his words for the 1st time back in 87 made me feel less alone. Like it was ok to feel how I did.

Sometimes I can't wait to get out of bed in the morning just to listen to some Morrissey song stuck in my head. He has made me look at things in a different way than I even considered before. His words come to mind in different life situations and somehow help me to make sense of the now. I do believe that he will not be fully appreciated until he is no longer writing. He is truly one of the most underrated geniuses of our time. Some of his lyrics are so simply eloquent. He really provokes one to think about what he is saying instead of, well, just hearing words being thrown at you. He never lets me down.

'I have forgiven Jesus' didn't help me exactly, though it was the first time Morrissey's words ever reached my ear, it did encompass everthing that I was feeling so exquisitely. Bless Morrissey, he is seriously a lyrical genius.

This song always helped, still does. :o

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gq19VsaqIZg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gq19VsaqIZg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

His lyrics have made me feel less alone, less alienated and not so strange. His music has always been there for me (well, since I first heard it in 1985). It brings me comfort. I've been through hell with depression. And I'm terribly shy. And most people in my life don't know what it's like to go through these things as they haven't.
A few months ago, someone who is rather insensitive told me I was too sensitive and gentle. And I didn't care. I thought about how I admire sensitivity. "It takes strength to be gentle and kind"
I could go on and on. I know where he is coming from on so many songs because I've been to those same places. It's nice knowing someone else out there understands.
And it's always helpful when his witty lyrics make me laugh! That's pretty good medicine!

yes it has helped me... more than any other music i've vere heard..... i tend to get periods of severe depression and morrissey/the smiths lyrics had made my day better more than once.....when i hear the lyrics i feel like there is at least someone in the world that understands exactly how i feel.. plus i love his personality, i really look up to him, even when people thinks he's arrogant.

For many years listening to Morrissey was very cathartic for me. He seemed to be the one artist who could most express what I was feeling and, being unable to express myself sufficiently well artistically, to just have someone else say those things was very cathartic and even comforting. Particularly the message 'yes, it really is that bad, but it's okay to feel that way' was helpful.

Now 'my life has changed in oh so many ways' to quote a popular song, and for various reasons I can't tap into that in the same way as I could before. I still like Morrissey's music and listen to it quite a bit (though not as much as before) and some of it still moves me, but it's not something I live by as I once did.

More than I could ever put in words. Honestly, Morrissey gives me hope. It's funny how people say he's the "pope of Mope" and all that. I find his lyrics witty and uplifting. I honestly live to hear more from him. That is unhealthy, but he's alive and he sings exactly the things I feel. I don't feel so alone with him in the universe.

Whenever I feel a bit down, The Smiths are the first thing I reach for. Morrissey's solo stuff is probably the second. He helps me all the time, and I'm sure he knows it. He still speaks to me, he always will.

Back
Top Bottom