Do you feel tired of Morrissey's verbal attacks?

Do you feel tired of hearing Morrissey's verbal attacks?

• Total voters
And while I'm at it I don't care what Morrissey thinks about this fan site! I'm not trying to ge Morrissey to like me so if he has issues with anyone who posts on here despite his severe dislike and disaproval that's his problem. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to my love of his art.

It it blatantly obvious and grows moreso with each passing day. Have you seen how he deals with his detractors? The withering disdain he displays towards anybody who dares to criticise him - in the Press, onstage, in Court, in writing and in interviews, over the past 25 years? He's got a full-blown persecution complex and an ego bigger than God. Pete Paphides had him wrapped up this time last year discussing the Argentina comments - "when he opens his mouth these days, the scale of his delusions is embarrassing". It really, really is.

Gosh, you really don't like him do you?

Good poll, Kewpie.
I haven't got time to read all the responses but some thoughts nonetheless.
Morrissey always said a lot of controversial things in the past but they were often only controversial in the eyes of Daily Mail readers. His fans used to lap up and love the stuff he came out with e.g. about Thatcher, McDonalds, modern pop music etc. The thing is, it always used to be done with so much wit and charm and panache. Now it's all become so blunt, often ignorant, predictable, misinformed, foolish and totally unfunny.
The other really important issue is that, back in the 80s, Morrissey (along with Marr and Street) was churning out so many incredible songs with new singles (and b-sides) appearing every few months, and a brilliant brand new album every 12 months. So, even if you didn't care much for what he had to say, his contribution to modern culture was absolutely undeniable.
Now it's been 4 years since YOR was recorded, (virtually the lifetime of the Smiths) and 3 since it was released, and what's the very best thing he can offer us? People Are The Same Everywhere.
So it's this combination of hugely disappointing musical output and misinformed, humourless diatribes that is contributing to his free-falling image among the wider public, the music community, and even now among his core fan-base i.e. us lot.
Where does he go from here? First he needs to STFU for a prolonged period of time. He used to do this rather effectively in the pre-internet era. Just disappear off the radar for at least 6 months so that people actually start to miss him. Then he needs to co-write some blindingly good songs (but that's for another thread).
But continuing on this current trajectory will be a disaster.

I think we can all agree that he doesn't give a f*** about the way he comes across. He is his own person and for that I am eternally grateful. Once a punk etc etc.

Brummie Boy was right and I posted the same idea a couple of years ago. Morrissey is trolling. He doesn't always believe what he is saying is literally true but he will say what gets the most attention. Sometimes he trolls for PETA.

But another point is that Morrissey is not promoting his latest record. Ever. Morrissey is promoting the idea of Morrissey the public figure and so the things he does don't have to be popular or sell records. They only have to promote a certain image and make people remember Morrissey.

Again, when Morrissey has a new single and he appears on television and does a short interview, anyone else would be on that show trying to make that single chart as high as possible. Morrissey complains that his singles don't do well but you get the feeling he'd be horrified if they did. Does he want to slug it out with Katy Perry and Dizzee Rascal? He wants to stand in opposition to that and to our popular young royal couple etc. Do you think he wants to be presented an statue by Kanye West on some trumped up awards show?

Look at the stars that are happening right now. Except for Adele there are very few of them and they ALL appear on each others' records.
Drake
Lil Wayne
Jay-Z
Beyonce
Kanye
Katy Perry
Nicki Minaj
Rihanna

over and over and over and over and over again. These are the people that have good publicists so even if they aren't releasing a new single they have something in the news for their fans. I know you people hate Lady Gaga but she works. She is out on the street posing for the camera every morning at 9am and she does not go home at 5pm. She's out there wearing a complete costume that would be good enough for a video, every day. She's on twitter talking nonsense and she shows up to dedicate anti-bullying programs, and that is publicity and work also. But why can't Morrissey do something about bullying for example? His comments and those hideous t-shirts are not wrong but they're not sparkling and witty.

sorry for rambling.

Almost everything you quoted to demonstrate his happiness relates to his touring. Their essential essence is "Thanks for loving me, everybody!". Who in their right mind would be miserable when they're playing sold-out shows in distant corners of the world, on stage every night facing nothing but love and adoration from the masses? As Skinny said earlier, fandom is a cloistered environment and so is touring. It is when the real world intrudes that Morrissey can't hack it, and that's when his morose whining makes a reappearance. He absolutely loves being "Mad Morrissey"; he plays up to it and always has done.

No, his whining secures him the adoration. He is nowadays complaining about things that he never dreamed to complain about four or three years ago, because they were not on his radar. Morrissey the hero of the disenfrechised? He was the guy who almost appeared as an extra on one of his friends' Chavs program. Somebody who really cared about marginalised people would not be friends with such people or at leat nor appear on their program for other reasons than shitting his pants. He is friends with media people who are very active in the stigmatisation of others and Morrissey's lyrics are also full of stigmatisations.

BUT you are right about the touring. Who would not love the adoration? He is as narcistic as Kristeen Young. It is all about him, him and him. Others only if things are pointed out to him and he can use it for good pulicity. The images. His top concerts all provided with him with great images that could show off how people admire him. Belgium failed because people in the restaurant that he frequented did not ask him for photographs. He went unnoticed. They did not give him that superstar feeling, the feeling of beeing somebody. South America was perfect with the barriers and the screaming people behind. I see the photos of the larger venues and the perspective that they have from stage and think that right, if you replace any head with Pound signs, who whouldn't be happy? It is not just like bathing in the masses of adoration, it is also bathing in money in his pocket. The little problem is however, doesn't he get his payment in advance? The money thing has worn off by the time he actually gets onto stage. But the adoration, the screaming, the feeling "to still mean something to so many people". What does he mean to them however, the hipsters and the chavs in the front row. I saw a picture of the cars in the parking lot to the concert in Peru. I "walked" around the streets of Lima a little with Google maps and got to the outer area where the streets were not paved. Who are the people who drive around Lima in those cars and go to the Morrissey concert and who are the people who live in those other houses? Somebody from Southern Asia wrote that the poor people there could hardly afford a ticket. What's left for Morrissey however are great images that are left to stay. A world star. Cool. He is happy to be somebody. That's his light.

Where does he go from here? First he needs to STFU for a prolonged period of time. He used to do this rather effectively in the pre-internet era. Just disappear off the radar for at least 6 months so that people actually start to miss him. Then he needs to co-write some blindingly good songs (but that's for another thread).

i think a new album would be preferable to disappearing for 6 months. None of this is really going to matter too much. He won't win many new fans or lose many old ones because of what he's said.

Brummie Boy was right and I posted the same idea a couple of years ago. Morrissey is trolling. He doesn't always believe what he is saying is literally true .

You don't? I think he does mean what he says. He's always had forthright views and is a serious person about what he believes. He's also, I think it's safe to say, one heck of a malcontent misanthrope! If the whole world suddenly went vegetarian I wonder how much difference it would make to his view of people if, as I believe, he's angry and hateful towards people because we're mostly carnivorousness would he become less misanthropic if that beef, no pun intended, was no longer an issue for him?

Search query: 'Morrissey Olympics Poll' brings up results to compare/contrast:

Poll: Do you agree with Morrissey about the Olympics?

Do you agree with Morrissey that "blustering jingoism" is ruining the Oympics?

Yes - 15.52%
No - 84.48%

http://bit.ly/OXl9nu

Morrissey Blasts The Olympics: Singer Compares Spirit To Nazi Germany And Criticises Coverage Of 'Dazzling Royals'

Do you agree with Morrissey's comments?

Yes, the royals have hi-jacked the Olympics 40.58%
No, the Olympics are about great sport 59.42%

http://huff.to/MYVKgU

best

Susan

Gosh, you really don't like him do you?

Possible new masthead for Morrissey-solo.com? ;)

Good poll, Kewpie.
I haven't got time to read all the responses but some thoughts nonetheless.
Morrissey always said a lot of controversial things in the past but they were often only controversial in the eyes of Daily Mail readers. His fans used to lap up and love the stuff he came out with e.g. about Thatcher, McDonalds, modern pop music etc. The thing is, it always used to be done with so much wit and charm and panache. Now it's all become so blunt, often ignorant, predictable, misinformed, foolish and totally unfunny.
The other really important issue is that, back in the 80s, Morrissey (along with Marr and Street) was churning out so many incredible songs with new singles (and b-sides) appearing every few months, and a brilliant brand new album every 12 months. So, even if you didn't care much for what he had to say, his contribution to modern culture was absolutely undeniable.
Now it's been 4 years since YOR was recorded, (virtually the lifetime of the Smiths) and 3 since it was released, and what's the very best thing he can offer us? People Are The Same Everywhere.
So it's this combination of hugely disappointing musical output and misinformed, humourless diatribes that is contributing to his free-falling image among the wider public, the music community, and even now among his core fan-base i.e. us lot.

:lbf: The notion that m-s users are his core fan-base is, well, laughable. Base? Frequently. But core? Rarely now. Once upon a time perhaps, but not now. During the Edinburgh concert last week, as I looked out at the rapturous crowd, morrissey-solo.com did actually pop into my mind, just for a very brief moment. I wondered how many people in that 3000 or so adoring crowd were m-s users. I reckon I got my answer when the tour thread for the concert got a handful of comments before descending into the familiar 'free for all shitfest' about the queue system.

As to the rest, welcome back Private Frazer. Just wouldn't be the same without you....:)

Same old tune since...

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't? I think he does mean what he says. He's always had forthright views and is a serious person about what he believes.

I believe he is passionate about his beliefs also but I think would allow him to make a statement that gets attention for his cause, just like some "relics" of miracles are fake but were created in the hope of winning people over to the church. He might or might not really believe everything he says but it's made more sense for me to take him as if he's trying to generate attention for causes rather than push specific ideas as specifically true. I don't know. :)

Back
Top Bottom